Convertible Top Realy 1988 Cavalier - Where is it? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible Top Realy 1988 Cavalier - Where is it?
Saturday, June 01, 2013 10:24 AM
I can not find the Convertible Top Relay on my 1988 Cavalier Z24 to replace it. Where is it located? Can anyone help me?

Re: Convertible Top Realy 1988 Cavalier - Where is it?
Monday, June 03, 2013 6:26 AM
that should be in your trunk beside the pump..
Monday, June 03, 2013 11:20 PM
No luck in the trunk... I went over every inch of it. Pump has red and yellow wires coming from it that plug into a purple and gray lead. It feeds up the left into the interior of car. I tried following the wires which look like they run up under the dash. Still in process of taking dash apart to see if it is there. Not looking promising though. Still need help if anyone knows.
Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:44 AM
alldata doesn't show a relay in the wiring diagram of the pump motor. There is a few circuit breakers, however.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:58 PM
Thanks for the help. After everything checked and tried I finally realized the problem. I purchased a used top motor from a 1989 Cavalier after mine went bad. When it wasn't working either, I couldn't figure out the issue. In '89 they used a relay to reverse the polarity in the motor. 83-88 the motor itself was grounded internally and to the body to reverse the polarity. I had to get a new motor good for the '88. All is well now and the top is functional!
Saturday, June 22, 2013 7:29 PM
Ah ha good to know. I have a spare motor from a 94 to use as spare for my 84 Cav. I guess I have to rethink that Idea and get the correct spare motor......... You learn something new everyday!

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO0RaHm0VutezIjCYBA7ggh6g1awGTFszr9_U35
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search