newer engine in 91 tbi 2.2 car. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
newer engine in 91 tbi 2.2 car.
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 9:28 AM
Well i am new to the sight. I have searched but found no info on the subject. I need to know if it would be possible to swap in a newer 2.2 or 2200 into my 1991 2.2 VL while keeping it TBI. I would rather not have to do a wiring harness swap too, and if it comes to that I would just do a 3.1 swap instead.

Re: newer engine in 91 tbi 2.2 car.
Monday, October 13, 2014 5:22 AM
...or maybe a 3800 SC? If you're gonna do a wiring harness swap anyway!
I think it would be awesome to put a 2.2 with a getrag behind it in a second gen!

lotta work, but SO fun! They output about the same as the old 3.1s and get better mileage.

I know because I have one of those old 3.1s and I want to swap too! lol
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:24 AM
You would gain absolutely nothing by swapping in a newer engine and keeping the TBI. It's the same engine. You would need to keep the 91 head, so all you're really doing is a short block swap.

Putting an MG2 behind a 2.2 has been done. The ratios aren't great for the powerband.

The 3.1 makes about 60 more base HP than the 94 (most powerful) 2.2, so if you're looking for bolt in power, swapping to a 2.2 from a 3.1 is not the way to go.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:11 AM
I believe that the 2.2 he was referring to as equal to a 3.1 would have to be the ecotec.

I have done a 3800 series 2/ 5 speed swap in a 94 z24. Was great fun to drive, but the torque was brutal on the front tires and made accelerating out of corners a bit scary.

As for the later, 2.2/2200 swap. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the later engines had higher compression and slightly more aggressive cams. My engine needs to be replaced anyway so I thought, why not get a little power bump too. Also planning a 4t60 swap while its apart
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:54 AM
The actual cam specs didn't change until 98, but it did become a roller profile in 94. You could use a 98+ cam in any block, but you'd still need to use either a 91 or 92-97 head due to the shape of the intake ports. Your TBI manifold would overlap some of the intake port on the 92-97 head, but the only way you'd see any type of gain would be to use it because it has larger valves than the 91 head. IMO, that's a ton of work for marginal gain and it would be much easier to swap an entire 94+ engine and harness.

IIRC, there have been a few 4 spd auto attempts but none actually completed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search