Sunbird Bumper Mouldings - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunbird Bumper Mouldings
Sunday, June 21, 2015 5:29 PM
Anyone ever have to paint the 1/4" red mouldings on the bumper before ? All the red has come off and they are peeling.................I was thinking a Red enameal since they are off the car and I painted the the bumpers black to match the side moulding that I have on the car from a different year. They look like this in the pic.............

Doug in P.R.
Attachments
675px-1992_Pontiac_Sunbird_Convertible_at_Confederation_Bridge.jpg (71k)

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: Sunbird Bumper Mouldings
Monday, June 22, 2015 6:05 AM
Check with a body shop supplier. 3M offers painted tapes in varying widths and colors and they have one that will fit. I used it on one of our Cavalier convertibles. Be sure to use some silicone/wax remover on the surface where the tape will stick. I never had a problem with it. I am not certain of the length, but a quick measurement around your car will help you determine the length you need. It eliminates considerable time by not having to sand and tape off the area to be covered and the finish is spot on. Good luck!
Monday, June 22, 2015 12:45 PM
Thanks Terry, seen a car in a Upullit in AZ a few years ago, repainted with enamel with the side mouldings painted with the car and they looked lke they were holding up, so I was just wondering.

Mine are off the car currently, and I know Pep Boys sells the mouldings , but I'm too cheap to buy them.

Doug in P.R

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, June 22, 2015 5:25 PM
Well , I just spent the afternoon stripping one of the old mouldings. I found out they are chrome underneath the red with the red being some kind of vinyl on top. Used an utility knife to strip off the peeling vinyl and cellophane and my thumb to take off the mounting tape on the back side.

Maybe they were some leftover 80's chrome side mouldings?

The first one was the front which is shorter that the rear one that I thought I was doing, oh well they both have to be done anyways.

Pics tomorrow

Doug in P.R.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:47 PM
Pics..................

Doug in P.R.
Attachments
DSCN2039.JPG (76k)
DSCN2036.JPG (73k)

Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:01 AM
Painted and the rear one is installed , used Rustoleum "Gloss Apple Red". Used their adhesion promoter also after cleaning with rubbing alcohol. Got 9 feet of 1/2" 3M mounting tape at the local hardware store that I cut in half (1/4") to mount it on. Cut the tape in foot long sections.

Doug in P.R.
Attachments
DSCN2083.JPG (75k)
DSCN2085.JPG (76k)
DSCN2086.JPG (76k)
DSCN2082.JPG (76k)
DSCN2084.JPG (74k)

Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:05 AM
Last pic.......................

Doug in P.R.
Attachments
DSCN2087.JPG (75k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search