Shock Absorber Bumper - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shock Absorber Bumper
Wednesday, June 10, 2020 7:11 PM
Hello. Would anyone know where I could purchase a new set of these rear shock absorber bumpers for my 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE that is in mint shape?
Attachments
SUNNY REAR SUP BUMPER.png (207k)

Re: Shock Absorber Bumper
Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:19 AM
These are discontinued and I've never been able to find any.
However, I will soon be making these. Along with #5, the upper insulators and 21mm rear swaybar bushings. If you can hold out a little longer, the reproductions will be available.
Thursday, June 11, 2020 6:23 AM
Hi Butch that would be great you can text me or email me when you have them.
sthompson@thompsoncreativeink.com
902-367-1749
Friday, June 12, 2020 3:17 PM
I've ordered the polyurethane today. Should have it by the end of next week. In the meantime I'll get everything setup for production. Expect to have some ready by early to mid July.
Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:26 AM
Butch, Stephan trying to contact you....give him a call at the number above..

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:40 AM
Hi Butch, here is my contact info.
Notify me when the bumpers are ready.

902-367-1749
Thursday, June 18, 2020 5:14 PM
Stephen Thompson wrote:Hi Butch, here is my contact info.
Notify me when the bumpers are ready.

902-367-1749

Okay, It will be rather soon, the urethane came today. I plan to pour some tomorrow. Curing take 1 week.
I'll make a video of them when they come out of the mold.
Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:27 PM
I posted this in the Suspension board. I've got two sets made and will pour another set tonight.
You can watch the video to see what they are like. Hopefully there will be no ads, since I don't monetize any of my videos. Not sure if YT throws in ads on non-monetized videos or not. Anyway, they are in production now, so it won't be much longer. All of the these first run batches will not have (black) pigment added. I may do that down the at some point, but I'm just not sure right now. Black will hide interior bubbles, I like the transparency of the straight mix. Small bubbles are fine and pose no issues at all. But should any large bubbles get trapped, I like that I can see them. I would not want to sell any that have larger bubbles in them.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=164879&t=164879
Thursday, August 20, 2020 7:39 PM
Hi everyone. I just want to give an update which is parts that he may were amazing! Attached are some photos of the bumpers upper and lower installed on my suspension. Please excuse the red balloons as they are my air suspension as I love the car to sit a little higher in the rear end so when I get fat people in the backseat it doesn't squat LOL!
Attachments
LEFT SIDE.png (973k)

Friday, August 21, 2020 4:39 AM
Thank you Stephen.

I'm glad you are pleased with them. I'm certain they will last you a very long time. The urethane I use for these is extremely tough.
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 12:00 PM
Hi Butch. Do you think applying silicone spray or any kind of rust check spray on those parts would help make them last longer?

Tuesday, August 25, 2020 6:33 PM
Stephen Thompson wrote:Hi Butch. Do you think applying silicone spray or any kind of rust check spray on those parts would help make them last longer?
No, I really don't think so. However the swaybar bushings must have grease or silicone paste applied to the inside of them before installing. The material is extremely resistant to abrasion and I don't believe the upper and lower isolators will wear very much. I don't believe spraying them with silicone will harm then in any way. I don't think it will increase their service life much either. It is up to you. I warranty them for 5 years, but imagine they will likely last far longer than that. The bushings will likely wear quicker, due to their thin walls. That is why grease or paste is required. In fact those (the bushings) probably should be cleaned and new grease/paste reapplied once a year or so. As long as the bar is clean, smooth and not bent, the wear will be minimized, of course. And they too should last over 5 years. in fact, I based the 5 year warranty mainly on the bushings, knowing they would wear sooner than the isolators.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search