N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 10 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:53 PM
Dale Young wrote:Hey which braided brake lines do we use with this swap, I have the 11" setup from a 99 Malibu but later I will change to 98-02 Fbody dual piston calipers and 12" rotors so if I get braised lines now will they still work on the f-body calipers?

You don't need special lines for the swap. You just need to make sure you get the bolt from the caliper you're puting in that holds the brake line on. You can get braided J-body lines.
Dale Young wrote:Also will thr axles from the 99 Malibu be a direct fit in the J-body or are they the same length as the Grand am, theose Malibus seem to be narrower than a Grand Am?

You just need the outer part, so the axle length isn't an issue. Read the how-to again, you'll understand.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:49 PM
ok, im extremely frustrated right now. how the hell are you guys keeping your cv boots tight? no matter what i do, i still get some type of damn leak somewhere when the wheel spins. really @!#$ frustrated right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:10 PM
I have worm gear hose clamps holding my boots. No problems.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:03 PM
dude, wtf are you doing. i have the same thing. i've tried normal tightness, really tight, tighten after some time, less tight, more tight, every @!#$ type of tight you can get. then i tried double worm gears, which turned out to be REALLY bad because i just got grease ALL over the place, and spent 3 hours getting the grease off my pads and rotors. it was on there so thick, i'm surprised the car even stopped. right now, just extremely frustrated. car stops well, but @!#$ man.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:25 AM
I have the "special" clamps on mine. The ones you need to use the stupid @!#$ tool for. yep put em on once and never leaked grease

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:18 PM
will boniville calipers work with this swap?

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Friday, June 08, 2007 5:43 AM
ExESIVE FIRE now with CTS wrote:will boniville calipers work with this swap?

I believe they will (you need the brackets from them, too), but I don't know that anyone here has had their hands on them. I think they are the same as the single piston ones Viper and I have.

Friday, June 08, 2007 5:46 PM
i was looking more along the lines of the dual piston gxp calipers

Saturday, June 09, 2007 6:50 AM
ExESIVE FIRE now with CTS wrote:i was looking more along the lines of the dual piston gxp calipers

Didn't know they were dual, but I did look into it, and the singles are the same as the ones that I have, so I would put my money on the dual fitting as well, since GM is not going to make a different spindle for a brake option.

Saturday, June 09, 2007 6:54 AM
how tight did you put your worm gear clamps?

Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:24 PM
changed clamps again, this time back to worm clamps, and only tightened them until they were "tight". still some leakage, and i dont know why dammit!!!!!!! my next step is to silicone the whole edge.

on a lighter note, i had a clicking sound that i could feel through the floorboard. i narrowed it down to the driver side cv joint, so i changed that, and now its all nice and dandy.

i sure have had to take this apart WAY too many times, but at least it brakes damn well and looks amazing in my wheels

Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:40 PM
Maybe you tore a boot?
Monday, June 11, 2007 10:26 AM
ExESIVE FIRE now with CTS wrote:i was looking more along the lines of the dual piston gxp calipers

like these?

They should work fine (as long as you have the caliper and slider)....... look a lot like my F-body dual piston calipers.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, June 11, 2007 3:22 PM
yup those are the ones i was talking about... someone picked them up first

Friday, June 29, 2007 9:38 AM
Where can I find directions, or even some info on the Camaro rear brake swap without doing the IRS setup? Or is it even possible to do withough the IRS?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, June 30, 2007 9:10 AM
The Camaro or Corvette rear disc swap is the Baer kit. Won't work with the IRS swap, the hub is different. Well... I'm sure you could make a new backing plate for larger rear discs, but it's not worth the work for the extra inch larger rear discs.... at least, not to me.

The Baer swap is the backing plates... 89-96 Y-body calipers with e-brake attachments (sometimes come with the calipers, sometimes don't)... F or Y body rear rotors, re-drilled to 5x100 to fit on the J-Car rear hub.... (or get a set directly from Baer like I have, which are the same rotors but only the 5x100 pattern, not double-drilled with both patterns)...

...j

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:38 PM
If i go with Nbody axles and Aluminum control arms will i be able to avoid shortening the control arms as well as making the "hybrid" axle? Or has anybody got an nbody axle to fit in on stock J parts?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:23 PM
Yes, you can use the N-Body axles if you use the N-Body control arms and don't shorten them. IIRC, thats what Lenko is doing. This will just push your hubs out farther. Perfect for a wide body car.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:02 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:Yes, you can use the N-Body axles if you use the N-Body control arms and don't shorten them. IIRC, thats what Lenko is doing. This will just push your hubs out farther. Perfect for a wide body car.

Time to get toyo fenders

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:41 PM
I don't even know what's what on my car anymore... let's see...

Hubs: 00 C-body
Knuckles: 99 N-body
Control arms: 99 N-body
Brakes: 00 C-body
Axles: Dutchman Motorsport custom length shafts with 00 C-body inner and outer CV's

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:30 AM
^ and tranny.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:20 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:Yes, you can use the N-Body axles if you use the N-Body control arms and don't shorten them. IIRC, thats what Lenko is doing. This will just push your hubs out farther. Perfect for a wide body car.

ok what?

i can or cant use the full N-Body setup on a 2200 5spd?

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:53 AM
Yes. You should get the axles from a 4 banger 5 speed N-body though to make sure they're the right length for the tranny you have. The outter shafts are all the same length, so if you're going to swap those onto your axles, it doesn't matter what you get. If you are going to use the entire N-body axles, make sure theyr'e from the same tranny type (and similar year--the 2200 was available with different 5 speeds, I believe the change was in 2000). If you use the whole N-body axle, you will need the N-body control arms, not shortened. You will also need to slot the holes in your struts where they bolt to the spindle so that you can properly align your car.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:51 AM
i did not know any N Body's came with the 2200/2.2L OHV?

As the DOHC engines were different trannys, the 3.1/3100/3400 are relatively the same transmission.

I'm a bit confused...?

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:39 PM
BlkCav wrote:i did not know any N Body's came with the 2200/2.2L OHV?

As the DOHC engines were different trannys, the 3.1/3100/3400 are relatively the same transmission.

I'm a bit confused...?

The N-body cars didn't come with 2.2 OHV engines, but the tranny from the DOHC 4 cylinders (2.3, 2.4) in the N-body and J-body cars are the same as the ones on the J-body 2.2 OHV (and 2200), but the bellhousing is different. The thing that you have to make sure of is that you get it from the same or similar year as your car, because GM changed from the Isuzu tranny to the Getrag in 2000 IIRC. Hope that clears it up for you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search