Suspension FAQ (05/22/2005) - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO LOWER A CAR-THE RIGHT WAY (FAQ)
Wednesday, December 24, 2003 8:04 PM
b0jan jebac wrote:2000 cavalier Z24

DROP ON STOCK 205/55/16

Intrax 2" + KYB AGX

is there anything alse needed for instalation to be right way?
chamber kit?

thank you

Quote:

UPADATE ON KYB AGX

Here is a copy fo the Email I got from KYB when I inquired about there new AGX struts and when they were coming out in Canada.

The AGX line will be available in late Feb.
They are stock size struts not a cartridge.
They can handle a mild drop, Eibach Pro-Kit springs work well with our shocks/struts, we do not recommend the Sportlines.

Link: http://www.kyb.com/buy/index.html

KYB products have a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies to the original purchaser of the product with a dated proof of purchase. The warranty does not apply to product that is misapplied, abused, or used in racing or commercial applications. The warranty is void if the product is used on excessively lowered (over 1.5")(Sport drops) vehicles or if an Aftermarket coilover shock system is used. Please contact your place of purchase, or a local KYB retailer, for warranty qualification and/or exchange.

Regards,

and the email from Koni:

Quote:

how low of a drop can the koni stuts handle before voiding warranty.

There is no set drop that would instantly void the warranty but if the
shock is bottomed from having the car too low, it will void it. It also
depends on the spring rates that are being used with how low you're
making the car. Don't forget that the best amount of lowering for
performance is when the front lower control arm is parallel with the
ground (which is usually only an inch or inch and a half lower than
stock). Thanks for writing.

Gordon

KYB struts (GR2 NOR AGX)arent made for over 1.5 inch drops...nor are the AGX out yet.

intrax doesnt lower 2 inches... its 1.7 inches. but still lower than kyb's warranty which the minute you try and install em, you void the warranty...

camber kits arent needed.... as quoted from teh first page and in bold

Quote:

some things you should know when getting an alignment

you dont need camber bolts. camber isnt changed much. so no matter what you friends and shops who drive imports say, its not needed. not unless you go extreme at like 3.5+ inches, but if you go that level, then CV joints will wear quick and you'll most likely blow struts riding around... so you might as well buy camber bolts, cause on reg suspension you'll be paying more in due time...

you shouldnt have to supply specs as the place should already have em

anything else let us know also theres nothing you have to replace besides the parts listed on the first page, unless its broken.

<br>

Thursday, December 25, 2003 7:33 AM
General Schwag (Event) ----thanks <br>

had a
2.2L, 5spd, 2000, 2dr, for 1 year, and SOLD IT slow

but now i'm buying Z24 2000 :::)))
Thursday, December 25, 2003 1:47 PM
so what would be the best way to go,
to lower my car 00 z24 on stock 205-55-16
tire to fender

i'm not sure how to explain this

the set up that will lower it the most (0 no weel gap)

koni reds+1.7"F--2.3"R?? or somthing better

thanks for helping out

<br>

2.2L, 5spd, 2000, 2dr, for 1 year, and SOLD IT

Z24 2000 5spd soon to arrive
Thursday, December 25, 2003 10:40 PM
coilovers...or air ride really.... air ride.

no fender gap puts your car virtually with NO wheel travel and you will

1) wear and blow any strut quicker being that low

2) wear and damage CV joints being that low

3) have one of the roughest rides you can get without welding a solid rod in place of the strut... the car will simply be too low.

two posts up read the email from Koni...

then read this post... not sure if you have already.... but focus on number 2 of the link after you click it...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=54413&t=54266#reply_54413 <br>

Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:37 PM
UPDATES: SWAYBARS

Lance brought this to my attention....

http://www.j-body.org/library/detail.php?18

The 2003 and 2004 J-Bodies COME with 24mm FRONT swaybars...

although they still run "FE2 suspension", consider this as a small upgrade to the package.

kinda like the 3rd gen is still a 3rd gen from 95-04, but have series 1 (95-99), series 2 (00-02), and series 3 (03-04).... the suspension of "FE2" has a series 1 (00-02) and series 2 (03-04)

the 2000 - 2002cars still run FE2 style 22mm front bars, the 03+ cars just have a 2mm upgrade. <br>

Monday, December 29, 2003 7:04 AM
I am selling Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Reds if anybody wants them. They are about 1 year old and are in great condition.

Chris
'01 z24
jcavz24x@aol.com
Monday, December 29, 2003 10:46 AM
not gettin on ya chris, but post that in the classifieds.... not really supposed to sell stuff here....

sometimes the mods can and will ban ya for it...

<br>

Thursday, January 01, 2004 1:46 PM
MAKE YOUR OWN SWAYBAR

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=28610&t=27356#reply_28610

****NOT SOMETHING THE AVG NEW GUY SHOULD ATTEMPT**** <br>

Monday, January 05, 2004 3:21 PM
I got the Progress lowering springs. With all the rides I've been in these are some nice springs. The price is right and the drop isn't to dramatic.( I deliver pizzas in my car so a super low drop wasn't for me) But yeah the springs are stiff and not really a bouncy as Eibach, not to fond of the turquise color though. IMO good springs for the value. Thanks Event for all the knowledge you bring to the Org.
Tuesday, January 06, 2004 5:23 PM
n/p man

but one addition, if eibach springs are paired with the proper struts, they are not bouncy springs at all...

that goes really for any setup... springs suspend....dampers control... <br>

Saturday, January 10, 2004 9:00 PM
oh ok...just saying for springs that are on stock shocks they are pretty nice. I just noticed on the first post on this thread that there was no input. Just thought I would throw my non-counting two cents in...LOL Take care Event. Quick question...where can I get a nice pair of front and rear strut towers at for a reasonable price?

Saturday, January 10, 2004 9:23 PM
strut towers, a junk yard....

strut tower braces...ebay for the lowest price or go through carcustoms.net, howellautomotive.com highrevmotorsports.com something like that... <br>

Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:16 PM
where would i find detailed instructions on koni reds and ground controls....

and i don't need to switch to the 99 style mounts do I?
thanks <br>

http://www.cardomain.com/id/cavyzstylin
Sunday, January 18, 2004 12:30 AM
KONI RED/YELLOW COILOVERS and general coilover install...(GROUND CONTROL PICTURED/USED)

these are directions uploaded, credit goes to bigjerm21...

http://tiger.towson.edu/~apittm1/CoiloverInstall02.pdf

you should do the strut mount mod posted by bigjerm21 also reposted on the forums by chris pauley if you want then to work virtually stress free. <br>

Friday, January 23, 2004 9:43 PM
great faq Event. if only lowered my cavalier to like 1.5 and i drive it every day would i need to struts? b/c my car is not lookin to hot right now w/ 18s and kit and no drop. it's sad
Saturday, January 24, 2004 10:27 AM
I'm specifically looking at the eibach 1.4" pro-kit. at car customs.net, and the thing says it can be used w/ factory struts. i'm getting conflicting advice. AND- with 18s and the bomex kit, how noticable would 1.4" be? is it worth it? THANKS GUYS
Saturday, January 24, 2004 2:14 PM
well from experience of people who used stock struts... email pahtcub, if i find anymore i will email you their responses...

but general consensus besides a few who didnt care about ride quality, it would be in your best intrest to upgrade.

facts are as posted above, kyb doesnt honor the warranty on below 1.4 inches, your car will def get below that when you sit in it, even if you only weigh 100lbs...and if you have a stereo, it will as well.

koni are the more consistent bet. just because you can adjust em. if ride quality is a concern, adjustiblity is key. everyone prefers different qualities in ride smoothness/stiffness <br>

Saturday, January 24, 2004 4:22 PM
say i don't care about ride quality- would using lowering springs on stock struts do any actual damage to any parts of my suspension, or would it wear anything down that i would need to get replaced eventually?
Saturday, January 24, 2004 4:54 PM
yes.

once the stock ones blow, the extra stress the struts take up or soften then start moving to other parts...

its like if you are walking, trip and break your leg, waliing on it will then damage tendons and other supporting parts...

for struts, blown struts, you start to damage suspension bushings, more stress on the ball joint, strut mounts,as well as the chassis itself.

not something smart to do unless you like replacing more major parts. <br>

Monday, January 26, 2004 7:58 PM
i recently got Koni reds with the Eibacj Sportline springs. can i adjust the reds when they are on the car? or do i have to take apart the whole suspension? <br>

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, January 26, 2004 10:50 PM
hey, i need some opinins...
alright i came across some new GC coilovers and got the guy to 230. i also came across some new KYB GR2's for sale for 260 (havent talked to the guy yet). my car is my daily driver and im only going to lower it about 1.5" max depending... and then may lower it more just for shows... so my question is: should i go with the KYB GR2's or should i get the GC's and wait to get some konis???

and would i need anything else?? im ridin stock as of now....
thanks!! <br>

Tuesday, January 27, 2004 12:15 AM
from what i heard and friends who have the KYB you are better off with the coilovers and then Koni's. <br>

Tuesday, January 27, 2004 2:54 PM
99redz24 wrote:i recently got Koni reds with the Eibacj Sportline springs. can i adjust the reds when they are on the car? or do i have to take apart the whole suspension?

take apart the whole suspension. <br>

Tuesday, January 27, 2004 2:56 PM
Godsspeed wrote:hey, i need some opinins...
alright i came across some new GC coilovers and got the guy to 230. i also came across some new KYB GR2's for sale for 260 (havent talked to the guy yet). my car is my daily driver and im only going to lower it about 1.5" max depending... and then may lower it more just for shows... so my question is: should i go with the KYB GR2's or should i get the GC's and wait to get some konis???

and would i need anything else?? im ridin stock as of now....
thanks!!

wait for koni....

dont waste time doing something twice when you know kyb are not made for pretty much anything past stock. <br>

Tuesday, January 27, 2004 3:45 PM
thats what i thought. thanks Event. <br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search