IRS How to - Page 12 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IRS How to
Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:49 AM
Adam, no it will not work. The 2nd gen has a very different suspension setup. Actually it's very much like the 2/3rd gen N-Body (92-98). But it's quite different from the 3nd gen J-body and 4th gen N-Body (which is what the IRS is off, 99-05/07).

There have been people who have kicked the idea around. Basically they figured you would have to reinforce the shock towers so that they could be strut towers. Then change a few things, like the trailing arms. Those strut towers would be the most difficult part. I don't know much about how they would have reinforced them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:50 AM

Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:52 AM
C.T.S, thank you for the info
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:10 PM
Does anybody know how long the J-body strut is?(top of the mount to the middle of the mounting bolt and to the absolute bottom of the strut)
Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:37 AM
ZeRoBuRn wrote:Im wondering on the cutting of the trailing arms and such. By not cutting them, it would fill out the rear wheel wells more and give it a wider stance while also limiting the amount of fabing done. Dont get me wrong i love to weld but for others this might be a bit much. The reason i ask is cause on http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1798&perpage=15&pagenumber=3 the general idea is that the arms are left stock unmodified and the only fabing would be on the mount to the fram.

I really want to do this but in my area i cant seem to find any cars in the yards. I guess i ll have to travel to get it.

Why not go to a 4 link sys to replace the arms that need to be modded?
Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:06 PM
Can someone direct me somewhere where I would be able to find the exact specs and parts needed for this? Maybe someone could direct me to the page number on this post, I am at work and I don't have the time to go looking for it. Thanks ahead of time.

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:39 AM
y cant find info did someone use i rs from old intregue 98 is it the same and are the disque same size or is alero 03 bigger pm me please thanks
Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:49 PM
IRS from a N-body...... 99-04 (?) Grand Am, Alero, Malibu.....

Remove the FULL J-body suspension (rear axle, rear struts). Take the FULL N-body rear suspension (struts, cradle, brakes, e-brake cable, trailing arms..... everything), and bolt the struts into the oem J-body location, bolt the trailing arms (swing arms) into the oem J-body location (might need to trim it to fit into the J-body brackets), and center everything up. Use a Sharpie and mark the bolt hole locations for the cradle onto the J-body rear frame. Lower the suspension back down and drill holes where you marked. Feed nuts and washers (or weld nuts) to the holes you drilled, raise the suspension back up into place, and bolt it in. Run your brake lines and e-brake cable. Bleed the brake lines. Mount your rims (oem J-body rims wont work), and take it in for an alignment.

Job done (might not be 100%, but you get the jist of it).

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:43 PM
I'm so happy right now after reading this. You guys have no idea. I'm ecstatic.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:51 PM
Wait until you drive it after the install, You'll love it.
Monday, September 21, 2009 8:37 PM
Okay, there is one question I got for those who have done the I.R.S., how do the brakes feel? Is the pedal normal? Is it low? Did you have to put in the residual pressure valves like those in the Neon rear brake swap? And yes, I have read through the whole thread and this was never asked.

Oh and by the way, Lenko, you might want to fix those pics. I can't see them at all and your link doesn't work either.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Monday, September 21, 2009 11:33 PM
My brakes felt great... I didn't change anything from the stock 00 brake setup, which had proportioning valves in the rear to begin with. I didn't adjust them either. The bore size on the master cylinder is the same on the J-body to the N-body... so I don't see where there would be an issue to begin with.

The pics were from my swap which was 4 years ago... that server is long gone, and so are the pics. I'll have to make up a 'How To' page like I did with the 5-speed swap.. don't hold your breath tho, won't have time for that any time soon.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:42 AM
John Lenko wrote:My brakes felt great... I didn't change anything from the stock 00 brake setup, which had proportioning valves in the rear to begin with. I didn't adjust them either. The bore size on the master cylinder is the same on the J-body to the N-body... so I don't see where there would be an issue to begin with.

The pics were from my swap which was 4 years ago... that server is long gone, and so are the pics. I'll have to make up a 'How To' page like I did with the 5-speed swap.. don't hold your breath tho, won't have time for that any time soon.

No worries, but would be good if you can get some shots of the crossmember if you could.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:15 AM
I read this thread all the way through.
I have a few questions. Can you still install an easy street kit and just get N body rear bags?
I would like my Z to lay frame (or close to it) and think that air bags can improve both handling and ride quality.
The only thing is, with this setup, do you have any clearance issues with the stock setup, or would bags over struts be installed without any rubbing issues?

Great info. Probably the next thing I do after my turbo install.
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:49 PM
Jeremy,

If you got bags for an N-Body they'll fit, as it's an N-Body strut and mount.

The only potential problem I see is that the wheel will move outward as the car drops, and you might get clearance problems between a stock fender and the tire. I have slightly wider than stock tires and my tires just barely touch the sheet metal if I hit a bump hard. YMMV.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:34 PM
I know this thread is very old, but I was wondering if anyone has the pics from this swap. None of them show up here, I'm sure because of the age of the thread.
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:50 PM
I wish my cavi wasnt my daily driver, so I could have time to do this.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:52 PM
Anyone have an update for this post?
Like wheel back spacing or brake line fitting maybe a parts list..I would like to do the swap but need all the part...Thanks
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:05 AM
Depending on where you live...... I have pretty much a full IRS swap sitting in my garage, just collecting dust. I think I paid $200 for the whole thing from the junk yard.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:27 AM
We need an update on this... I want to do it but w/o any pics its hard a bit...Thx to the one that will fix it

Sam
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:45 AM
All my pics can be found here: http://www.bcjbody.org/library/IRS/

John.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:05 PM
John you kick ass...

......that is all.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:13 PM
John Lenko wrote:All my pics can be found here: http://www.bcjbody.org/library/IRS/

John.

Absolutely sweet dude. Thanks for the reload of the pics.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:04 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Depending on where you live...... I have pretty much a full IRS swap sitting in my garage, just collecting dust. I think I paid $200 for the whole thing from the junk yard.

Still have this??

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:24 PM
i do.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:18 PM
email me pics of what you have?

WI isn't that bad of a drive...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search