The Gravana Coilover Thread (Troubleshooting, etc) - Page 6 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The Gravana Coilover Thread (Troubleshooting,
Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:24 PM
there is a metal piece in there and it sits on that metal piece

everything is still good

Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:19 PM
alright cool i appreciate it, ill probably go ahead and try and finally get these one this weekend.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:14 PM
Has anyone gotten these to work with the 2k+ mounts. Seems everyone is using 95-99 style. If you have, did you by chance get any instructions?

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:52 PM
mine work except for the fact that my mounts are squeeking. that may because of the mounts so who knows

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:53 PM
there was more to that:

i have given up on this suspension. wihs i could jsut get teins. someone with more patience to tune them would love these but not me

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:25 PM
QuasiZ (Raiseup) wrote:Has anyone gotten these to work with the 2k+ mounts. Seems everyone is using 95-99 style. If you have, did you by chance get any instructions?

gimmie your email ill send you the pics i sent 97cavy22

but they are so easy to do , youll think your a idiot for asking , lol that is how easy they are

but you take the 2k mount apart so that there is 1 piece , then remove the nut and washer , install mount and put washer and nut on

the 1 thing you need to be carefull of is the mount , and it depends if you have a nut and spacer , and a nut with the spacer as 1 piece

after several hundred miles they will change the way they ride , also make sure you get the height were you want it , and get it aligned ASAP

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:34 AM
Alright, I finally got these on a few days ago. Myself and others who have ridden in my car love the setup however there is one thing that annoys the hell out of me. Everytime I hit a bump (regardless small or big) it sounds like the suspension is taking a beating. Almost like it's bottoming out when I was on my old setup. Anyone else having this problem?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:00 PM
i figured out my squeeking. its a weight distrobution issue. if i have a passenger of equal weight the squeeking goes away. Anyt idea besides carrying around a 210lb bag of sand to fix teh weigh tissue?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:52 PM
quasi , what tires are you using ?

i get something sililar , but its related to the tires im using

ive got the azenis sports 215's , and they hit everything stiff

also i can drive on them with 0(yes ZERO) psi in the tires and never know it , LOL

try using stock 15" or 14" tires and see if that gets rid of the banging your getting

Machzel08 , with as adjustable as the suspension is , try preloading each side a little different , and see if that helps you out

you can preload the spring more on 1 side or the other and still have the car sit the same height side to side

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:21 PM
^should i preload teh drivers side more or less. i'll try that some time this week hopefully. and if it works then almost all of my gripes about these coilovers go away.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:15 PM
try it either way and see which works best for you

you can also try a different preload on the passenger side , and see if that helps also

Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:32 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]quasi , what tires are you using ?

I'm on 225's. Do you think it oculd possibly be the mounts itself? Even with my old arospeed coils, I never got this much banging. I might throw my stockers on to see if it goes away.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:32 PM
maybe , kinda hard to say

but my 00 has always had the 00 mounts , and it did bang before

but id try to swap the stockers on first

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:11 PM
Ok, i've been watching this thread from the sideline for a while and i have questions of my own. I've had the put on about four days now. Is there some sort of break in period for these, cause these feel way too bouncy. the bouncy as in it keeps bouncing and up and down and eventually stops or when the wheels bounce off the ground. I've had them set all the way soft to all the way firm and they still bounce like crazy. Oh yeah, and right after i had them installed, when i got to the alignment shop, i noticed a dent in my hood and find that the front-passenger strut adjuster thingy shot up and hit my hood. This is with the 95-99 stock mounts! So i drive back to the shop i had them installed at and they put some sort of ford truck mount on it, and that problem was solved. also when i tried to lower them a bit more in the front today, the gap was the same distance before i lowered it. So i took it to the shop to have them look at it, they try to lower it, same thing. I didnt have time for them to adjust the spring perch back because i had to go to class. Now, when i drive and let go of the gas, i hear some sort of rubbing noise and when i let go of the brake after coming from a complete stop , i hear a loud pop noise. Well, is there any short of spring/strut combo out there that doesn't bounce the car like a damn pogo stick. I was maybe thinking sportlines and koni yellows or d-specs cause these things here are a headache and a half.
Monday, April 24, 2006 10:05 PM
yes they do have a break in period , and try some where in the middle

if the car isnt droping then someone is doing something wrong , or they were installed incorrectly some how

Sunday, April 30, 2006 2:45 PM
Just installed my fronts today, got them both at about 2 fingers from wheel to fender. Install was pretty easy, aside from the fact that all 8 holes on the lower perchs need to be ground out so that a bolt would actually fit through them.

I took it out for a little ride around the block. I noticed it was HARSH! Also, turning the wheel sometimes didn't seem to do much either, and I could hear my tires actaully slipping like I was taking a right hand turn and dumping the cluthc (eek.). I'm wondering what your diagnosis's of these problems are. Preload more/less, alignment....whatever.

02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Sunday, April 30, 2006 3:43 PM
Sounds like you need an alignment.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 4:52 PM
^^^ alignment is needed

also it takes about 400-500 miles for them to break in

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:18 AM
How far down did you guys torque the big top nut on the front strut mount. I just keep turning it and it still has room to go down. It's just taking forever.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:35 AM
the nut should stop just a few threads down from the end , and leave maybe 1/8" to 1/4" of threads showing

im giving a rough guess , i know mine was in that range on the 00-05 mounts , and i think just a hair more on the 95-99 mounts

if your down alot farther than that you forgot something , or are missing something

email sales@gravanatuning.com , i sent him some pictures of how mine went together , so that they had some pictures , they are of the 00-05 style

but the 95-99 is very similar other than the mount style being different , and there should be a picture of the 95-99 and what needed to be modified

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:10 AM

I'm happy so far....backs are on as well. Can't wait till they stop being so bouncy so I can play with them more.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:20 AM
So I did get them on, and after the alignment the worst of the demons went away....but theres still a really bad clunking noise when I hit larger bumps and also a pop/rub when I turn the wheels (which when I look at my bushings, may not be coilover related LOL).

Anyways, I'm going to post some pictures of the mount setup, and see if you guys can help me out with this.

First off, heres how I had it set up, Bottom to top is left to right. So that gold collar went in the nook of the big part of the mount, I slammed the top hat thing in the top of the mount and then used the washer and nut to hold it all down....Not pretty looking and obviously didn't work very well.

So a little while ago I was playing with the order of installation, and came up with this one, it works somwhat, except for the fact that the mount kind of teeters on the gold collar. Also, theres nothing in the top....I don't think this is the solution either.

So it's obvious that that's not correct, now originally, Jeremy had noticed that the inner portion for the mounts that we bought at autozone went into the mount way too deep to accomadate the collar. Which is why we took the old mounts and used their inner peice. That seemed to work, except for the shafts shooting through the mount and potentially impaling my hood.

Heres what I'm talking about.

The peice that came with the new mounts is on the left. Notice that It rides higher, because it sits deeper in the actual mount.

So without either one of those peices in it, heres what I've got.

Using the old mount (what do you know? looks like it was mad for the coils)

And using the the new mount (AHHH! it's pushing the collar out and coming right for us!).

Pretty sure I'll be going with the old style, however, last time i did that the shafts from the struts tried to kill my hood (good thing it was out of the way)

So there has to be something i'm missing to get these to stay down. I'm wondering if it's the placement of the washer.

Maybe it should be in one of these two areas.
Below the top hat on top of the collar

or on top of the whole shabang.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:45 AM
you gotta put them in like in the pic below , the stock metal part has to remain on the under side

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:06 PM
i sthat for 95-99 or 00-05??

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:49 PM
^^^^ those are the instructions that jim sent me for the 95-99 mounts. i installed mine according to the picture and haven't had a problem with them. they have about 4500 miles on them now and i love them

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search