99 Grand Am aluminum control arms - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Friday, July 07, 2006 6:33 PM
C.T.S wrote:

GMpartsdirect.com usually needs some interperting to get the message correctly.
The 99 Alero and GAM had Aluminum control arms for both FE2 and FE3. The Malibu did not. And it was only 99.

Odd you say that, was at the dealer looking for some parts today, and i had him look up the arms, they're for FE2 and i guess FE4 was listed as well, no FE3 according to his computer.




Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Saturday, July 08, 2006 11:04 AM
John Lenko wrote:

purplezed wrote:

do you want those bushings i have Jawn? swap for your existing bushings already mounted in your J arms??


Sure, works for me I'll even help ya install stuff if you want... seeing as I have the compressor and air tools and all....
sounds good. did you want the J arms or do you really care?? i have a set from Nate that already have the ball joints removed should you ever want to go back to them. when would you like to do the swap?? i'm free the weekend of the 29th??



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Saturday, July 08, 2006 11:41 AM
never mind i see its rafting that weekend.



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:40 PM
purplezed wrote:

never mind i see its rafting that weekend.


Yeah, plus I'm still broke and don't have the $500 to buy the parts I need yet. Might be September before I have that....

Hey, maybe I can trade the smashed up Sunfire whole for the parts I need.... hmmm.....





Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Saturday, July 08, 2006 5:57 PM
Hey John. Amazing idea friend. I am thinking about the N-Body IRS and front for the future. I will like to do it. The only problem is that we don't have Grand Ams here in my country.

Let us tuned John.

Regards,


___________________________
MAKING MY DREAMS A REALITY
Visit my cardomain site !!!

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Saturday, July 08, 2006 10:54 PM
John Lenko wrote:

Hmm.... went to Ebay to find some ball joints....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220000169507&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1&rd=1

How can it be both J-body and N-body? I was told they're larger on the N-body.
3rd Gen N-body has the same control arms, bushings, ball joints, calipers, rotors, hubs, struts, springs as 3rd gen J-body.

Ender_Wiggin wrote:

C.T.S wrote:

GMpartsdirect.com usually needs some interperting to get the message correctly.
The 99 Alero and GAM had Aluminum control arms for both FE2 and FE3. The Malibu did not. And it was only 99.

Odd you say that, was at the dealer looking for some parts today, and i had him look up the arms, they're for FE2 and i guess FE4 was listed as well, no FE3 according to his computer.
You were looking at 00-05, not 99.

Eliot wrote:

Hey John. Amazing idea friend. I am thinking about the N-Body IRS and front for the future. I will like to do it. The only problem is that we don't have Grand Ams here in my country.

Let us tuned John.

Regards,

I trade you all the parts you need for the girls in your reg.

Also have you looked for all of these:
# 1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
# 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu
# 1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
# 1999-2006 Pontiac Grand Am
# 2004-2005 Chevrolet Classic
I know the Malibu has drum rear brakes, but I don't know about the others.



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 12:07 AM
Third gen N-body does... yes...but not what's listed in the sale:

PONTIAC SUNFIRE 1997-2005

PONTIAC GRAND AM 1999-2005


95-05 J-body are the same... as the 98 and older N-body. 4th gen N-body (99-05) is different. So his listing is wrong.





Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 3:57 AM
C.T.S wrote:

John Lenko wrote:



Ender_Wiggin wrote:

C.T.S wrote:

GMpartsdirect.com usually needs some interperting to get the message correctly.
The 99 Alero and GAM had Aluminum control arms for both FE2 and FE3. The Malibu did not. And it was only 99.

Odd you say that, was at the dealer looking for some parts today, and i had him look up the arms, they're for FE2 and i guess FE4 was listed as well, no FE3 according to his computer.
You were looking at 00-05, not 99.


Nope, remember aluminium arms were only 99, he found them listed as 99 FE2



Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 09, 2006 3:59 AM


Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 7:15 AM
somebody has to get one and compare it to stock j-arms



Pete ***RIP John Lingenfelter***
2002 Flame Yellow Sunfire GT B+M shifted 5 Spd
Just looking for mods and prey

Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 7:51 AM
Now this is a cool thread, good info guys, keep it coming!


15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:38 AM
I found ONE Aluminum arm in the junk yard yesterday......... the matching one was gone already. The Arm was on a FE2 99 Alero....... I got the rear IRS off of it

I didnt get the arm all the way off....... seems one of the 2 bolts that hold it on are a 20-21mm....... didnt have that with me.

Anyone have the break down of the suspension codes for the N-bodies (spring/sway bar)? My GM RPO book is to old to include that info.




SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
RACER X - '78 Opel Kadett W41 Swap


Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:43 AM
3rd Gen N-Body RPOs:
99: FE2, FE3, and FE4, just like Js only diff is sway bar in front. FE2 and FE4 seem to be the same thing.
00-03: FE2, FE3, and FE4 still available, but slightly different designs. Ex, steel CAs.
04-05: FE2 and FE3, dropped FE4 for some reason. Perhaps because they dropped the Alero and GAM-SE?

I'm not 100% sure about these, but it seems:
FE4 is the most basic suspension. Malibus came with FE4.
Malibu Classic (fleet car) came with different suspension too, but I don't know if it kept the same RPO code or has another code.
FE3 seems to be the sportiest suspension, larger sway bar and whatnot. Only available on GAM-GT and Alero
FE2 seems to be the basic suspension for GAM-SE.

Ender: What can I say? My IRS is off a 99 GAM-GT FE3; I know it exists, I have it.



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:08 AM
C.T.S wrote:

I trade you all the parts you need for the girls in your reg.


I think that women is one of our major export products. He he he friend, we can do business. We have tons of beautiful, exotic latin women here.

Regards,


___________________________
MAKING MY DREAMS A REALITY
Visit my cardomain site !!!

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:08 AM
C.T.S wrote:

John Lenko wrote:

Hmm.... went to Ebay to find some ball joints....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220000169507&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1&rd=1

How can it be both J-body and N-body? I was told they're larger on the N-body.
3rd Gen N-body has the same control arms, bushings, ball joints, calipers, rotors, hubs, struts, springs as 3rd gen J-body.

Ender_Wiggin wrote:

C.T.S wrote:

GMpartsdirect.com usually needs some interperting to get the message correctly.
The 99 Alero and GAM had Aluminum control arms for both FE2 and FE3. The Malibu did not. And it was only 99.

Odd you say that, was at the dealer looking for some parts today, and i had him look up the arms, they're for FE2 and i guess FE4 was listed as well, no FE3 according to his computer.
You were looking at 00-05, not 99.

Eliot wrote:

Hey John. Amazing idea friend. I am thinking about the N-Body IRS and front for the future. I will like to do it. The only problem is that we don't have Grand Ams here in my country.

Let us tuned John.

Regards,

I trade you all the parts you need for the girls in your reg.

Also have you looked for all of these:
# 1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
# 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu
# 1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
# 1999-2006 Pontiac Grand Am
# 2004-2005 Chevrolet Classic
I know the Malibu has drum rear brakes, but I don't know about the others.



___________________________
MAKING MY DREAMS A REALITY
Visit my cardomain site !!!

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:10 AM
C.T.S wrote:

I trade you all the parts you need for the girls in your reg


I think that women is one of major export products.

Regards,


___________________________
MAKING MY DREAMS A REALITY
Visit my cardomain site !!!

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 2:00 PM
C.T.S wrote:

3rd Gen N-Body RPOs:
99: FE2, FE3, and FE4, just like Js only diff is sway bar in front. FE2 and FE4 seem to be the same thing.
00-03: FE2, FE3, and FE4 still available, but slightly different designs. Ex, steel CAs.
04-05: FE2 and FE3, dropped FE4 for some reason. Perhaps because they dropped the Alero and GAM-SE?

I'm not 100% sure about these, but it seems:
FE4 is the most basic suspension. Malibus came with FE4.
Malibu Classic (fleet car) came with different suspension too, but I don't know if it kept the same RPO code or has another code.
FE3 seems to be the sportiest suspension, larger sway bar and whatnot. Only available on GAM-GT and Alero
FE2 seems to be the basic suspension for GAM-SE.

Ender: What can I say? My IRS is off a 99 GAM-GT FE3; I know it exists, I have it.

What im meaning is that the guy at the dealer said they listed the aluminum arms for the FE2, weither they came with the other packages is beyond me.



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 4:55 PM
^I gotcha now. I don't know if FE2 and FE3 are mutually exclusive either. Could be that the FE3 package "includes" everything from FE2. Nobody knows why GM does things sometimes.

Next weekend I'm going to go buy a set of arms unless between now and then someone comes up with a reason why they wont work. (Also going to get a '00 GAM-GT cluster...)



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:56 PM
Lets us know how they work out (unless like you said above, someone finds out otherwise). I'd be interested in something like this.



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Monday, July 10, 2006 11:28 AM
Check Car Part.com for the control arms. The junkyards around my house want between $60-75 per control arm.




Jason
99 Z24

Racers Edge
Johnny Mack Turbo Systems
Engineered Performance
Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Monday, July 10, 2006 11:59 AM
Jason ( got boost?? ) wrote:

Check Car Part.com for the control arms. The junkyards around my house want between $60-75 per control arm.
5 miles away and $35 each.



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Monday, July 10, 2006 12:04 PM
well.... I'll have a right one as soon as I go back and get it...... I could use a left one




SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
RACER X - '78 Opel Kadett W41 Swap


Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:24 AM
Im llistening, ive already found a "donor cars" for all the stuff needed for both front and rear I. S. swaps and control arms....



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:11 PM
Now ive been looking into this, but local junkyars arm charging alot of $$$ for the control arms.

$100 for the left and $75 approx for the right.

But no one can tell me why there is a differance in price.

Is there a differance between left and right other then the obvious of sides?



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:36 PM
one is in more demand then other aka ppl cant make right turns and get smacked on the left



Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:04 PM
Left side is much more likely to get hit, that's the side closest to the cars going the opposite way.....



Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search