99 Grand Am aluminum control arms - Page 4 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:07 PM
Ok, i just happen to get an offer for a 99 GA from a friend who just got into an accident. Its being written off as a loss, it was rear ended by a cement truck. I can get whats left of the car which consists of the front suspension, engine, tranny, and front seats if i can cut them out of the car. However i dont know if its the FE2 or FE3 suspension.

Is there a way to tell by the Vin Number?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:51 PM
check the spair tire cover, it says on the RPO code sticker...... Otherwise you can look up the vin, and get the build sheet..... involves stoping at the dealership though. The way it looks though, I think all 99 GA's and Alero's had them.

I could use the complete engine wire harness and ECM out of it, if you get it.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, July 14, 2006 10:05 PM
OK, I went to the junk yard today and found a '00 malibu(steel control arm) and a 98 cavi and the control arms are identical. even the sway bar mounting location is the same. I couldn't find any alum on I would have used that to compare, but this means that is the alum is identical to the previous years steel than the alum will be a match for our cars aswell. I didn't check the ball joint, i didn't feel like using a pickle fork in the yard. so is there a difinitive years and models these aluminum control arms are on?
Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:00 PM
18025875 and 18025876

Looks those up, it might help you out even more with other things.......

Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:41 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:OK, I went to the junk yard today and found a '00 malibu(steel control arm) and a 98 cavi and the control arms are identical. even the sway bar mounting location is the same. I couldn't find any alum on I would have used that to compare, but this means that is the alum is identical to the previous years steel than the alum will be a match for our cars aswell. I didn't check the ball joint, i didn't feel like using a pickle fork in the yard. so is there a difinitive years and models these aluminum control arms are on?
Please, read the post. We know the Aluminum arms were only on 99 Aleros and GAMs. We know the 85-98 and 00-05 N-body control arms are the same a J-body CAs. That's why we're currently running on the assumption that the 99s are the same, but GM definately did something different in 99. The 99+ ball joint is definately different. But the 98- is the same as our J ball joint.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:40 PM
Listening...
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:50 AM
Okay , here's a little new info... I don't have my camera here so I can't post pic's but.

Comparing a R/H GA and a R/H Cav. a-arm. The only difference (besides the glaringly obvious) measuring from the forward bushing outward to the furthest rivet on the ball joint. The GA arm is 1/2" longer then the Cav. arm .

But since I have the facilities to do so I think I can weld the holes shut and redrill them and then machine some off the end of the arm and use the ball joint for the Cav. to make it all work.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:52 AM
Hmm.... so they'd shove the wheels out a 1/2 inch further?

Awesome... it'll match my rear IRS swap!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:03 PM
WIDE TRACK !!!

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:19 PM
vider is betta

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:25 PM
John Lenko wrote:Hmm.... so they'd shove the wheels out a 1/2 inch further?

Awesome... it'll match my rear IRS swap!!
x2

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:55 PM
Protonus wrote:Just in case any of my brethern are wondering.. this won't work on a 1st/2nd gen becasue the rear bushing is vertical. Why OEM's do this is beyond me, as you're purposly defelcting the bushing. 1st/2nd gens have the "Correct" double horizontal control arm setup with unequal bushing sizes.

They use the horizontal bushing in front to purposly deflect during hard corning. Creating a cushier entrance into harder cornering. Basically is responsible for some understeer which is common to GM vehicles.
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:35 AM
^ I think he meant that both bushings should be horizontal. Which would make more sense. I don't know why they used a single verticle in the rear. If you look at their bigger cars, like an H body, they're both horizontal.

By deflection the OP meant that the rear vertical bushing will always be out of alignement, unless the CA is parallel to the frame, which is not the stock ride height. And any time you hit a bump or whatever it will deflect further.

Doesn't make sense to me at all, but I'm not a GM engineer either.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:29 AM
After I made my post about the vertical rear bushing, I got even more curious because a lot of "modern" sport compacts I've noticed are like this now, for instance 1st gen (maybe all gens?) neons...

I asked around and did some research. It's definetly for ride comfort ONLY.... As stated having the rear bushign deflect allows for resitence and absorbtion of vibration etc, creating a cushier ride. But also as stated this invokes MORE understeer, and can contribute to bump steer/ geometry issues when lowering.

It also F's you if you want to use spherical bearings instead of just bushings, and the problem becomes worse if you use a poly bushing in the rear that cannot deflect...

So... I'm real glad that 1st/2nd gens have double horizontal If I had a third gen I'd consider trying to retrofit a double horizontal setup long before I considered switching to aluminum control arms. I think you'd see a much bigger benefit.

:shrugs:

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 3:11 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
Protonus wrote:Just in case any of my brethern are wondering.. this won't work on a 1st/2nd gen becasue the rear bushing is vertical. Why OEM's do this is beyond me, as you're purposly defelcting the bushing. 1st/2nd gens have the "Correct" double horizontal control arm setup with unequal bushing sizes.

They use the horizontal bushing in front to purposly deflect during hard corning. Creating a cushier entrance into harder cornering. Basically is responsible for some understeer which is common to GM vehicles.

Sorry I meant to say they use the vertical bushing in rear.........
Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:16 PM
.5" longer eh? I dont think the CV will allow that much stretch in the socket while keeping the fully articulated safety in mind. I wonder if you could have the knucle .5inch out further and keep a decent chamber. All those with chamber plates have it easy as they can just slide the strut out. I really wonder about the CV and if the wheel would clear the fenders. but i guess that all depends on the wheels you have.
Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:05 PM
^I think you've got camber and chamfer mixed up there. A chamber is another word for a room.
I think the CV can take the extra 1/2". Not so sure about the wheels I have. They're awfully close as it is. I suppose you could roll the fenders maybe.... hrm...

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:28 AM
Yes, your right....but both wrong....I believe we both ment chamber, not chamfer or chamber.
Friday, July 21, 2006 1:54 AM
well....... I guess there would be a reason now to swap to 99-04 N-body 5 speed Axles

Sat morning I'm going back to the yard to get the one control arm I found, and to try and find another. Tonight I cleaned up and painted my stock ones (ball joint and bushings removed)...... if I cant find a matching N-body one, I'll be using the J-body ones for now. Hope to do my brake upgrade and lowering springs Sat.

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:31 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Yes, your right....but both wrong....I believe we both ment chamber, not chamfer or chamber.
i believe CTS was referring to your use of the word chamber. the word for the suspension is CAMBER. either way being .5" wider a side should not cause any problem as long as the fenders are rolled abd you don't drop it too low. i run SPrints and Koni's and i had to roll my front fenders to accomodate my 18's. .5" wider would cause me problems.

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:45 PM
Damn......I can never get that word right O well, you all knew what I was trying to say. I think I will be welding and milling mine down and re-drilling the holes to take out the .5" because I really don't want to fight the fenders, I've already got wheels that can barely fit.

Brian, check out car-part.com. I got both sides for $50.00.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:59 AM
I emailed a few places that where clost, that I found on Car-Part...... we'll see what kind of deal they want to give me on 2 arms and shipping.

Guess it might be time to order those Toyo fenders.....

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:47 AM
So what was the conclution about the 99 GAM control arms? will they swap out with an 2002 2.2L SOHFI with 18" wheels? if so which 99 GAM was it again? email me if you have accurate answer please!
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:14 PM
joshua knouf wrote:So what was the conclution about the 99 GAM control arms? will they swap out with an 2002 2.2L SOHFI with 18" wheels? if so which 99 GAM was it again? email me if you have accurate answer please!
WTH is SOHFI? the 2002 came with a 2200 OHV or a 2.2L DOHC ECOTEC motor in 2.2L flavors, while some came with a 2.4L DOHC TwinCam.. im curious on the conclusion to the mystery is, i was under the impression however that they were wider and me thinks that would fit.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:40 PM
They are close enough to bolt on. I don't know about using the word "fit" per say.
That 0.5" could screw things up depending on what you have on your car already.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search