N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 4:48 PM
C.T.S wrote:...J fronts will not fit in the in the N rears...

Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:31 PM
N rears too small or too large?

]
Monday, April 03, 2006 11:10 AM
J-Fronts are fatter and shorter.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:41 PM
getting ready to install my front brakes (W-body calipers for now...... F or Y-body to come soon)..... what is the center hub bore for the N-body? My measurement comes up with 70.15mm......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:37 PM
GM's standard 5x115 hub is 70 mm iirc. Just grab W body rotors (Impalla or Monte Carlo) and you'll be set. The W-Body calipers (off those same vehicles) will also bolt up to the N-Body knuckle.

Monday, May 15, 2006 10:15 AM
I have a set of F-body Power Slot rotors for this swap, which fit perfect (also have the Impala calipers and brackets, but want to step up to F or Y-body calipers w/ F-body brackets)..... just my wheels have a 68-69mm hub bore, trying to figure out away around this problem.

I think I started on this swap right about the same time as you........ I've had the W-body calipers for quite awhile, just recently picked up the rotors and rims...... ball joints should be picked up this week....... Leaning towards EBC Green stuff pads...... for what ever calipers I decide on.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:49 PM
ok, so, can you use the N-Body calipers and rotors with this setup? I don't see why not, but I want to make sure.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:18 AM
yea.... the W-body rotors and F-body calipers are just an upgrade over the stock N-body parts...... which in turn are an upgrade for our J-body parts......

Friday, May 19, 2006 10:39 PM
Yeah. The caliper bolt pattern is the same for N, W, and F bodies, so the calipers can all be bolted on each other. I'm not sure about the Y, but I'll bet it's similar. The difference, N body = 11" rotor, W body = 12" rotor and single piston, F body = 12" rotor and dual pistons.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:09 PM
C.T.S wrote:Yeah. The caliper bolt pattern is the same for N, W, and F bodies, so the calipers can all be bolted on each other. I'm not sure about the Y, but I'll bet it's similar. The difference, N body = 11" rotor, W body = 12" rotor and single piston, F body = 12" rotor and dual pistons.

I gotta get started on the front swap! NOW!
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:27 PM
C.T.S wrote:Yeah. The caliper bolt pattern is the same for N, W, and F bodies, so the calipers can all be bolted on each other. I'm not sure about the Y, but I'll bet it's similar. The difference, N body = 11" rotor, W body = 12" rotor and single piston, F body = 12" rotor and dual pistons.

The C5 Corvette has a 13" rotor dual piston caliper (very similar to the F-body) but uses a larger caliper bracket.......

The C6 Z06 has a 13" rotor and 6 piston caliper.......

Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:02 PM
a few questions before I get started:

1) Do I have to get 2000+ Camaro calipers or will 93-97 ones work as well?

2) I was thinking about going to Raxles and having them make me hybrid axles w/the J-body inner axle and the N-body outer axle. Is there any incompatibility with this approach?

3) You may have clarified this earlier, but will F-body rotors work on the N-body outer CV shafts? In the beginning of this post you recommended using W-body rotors as opposed to F-body ones...was this for clearance or another reason?

_Nick C
Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:39 AM
1) The 98+ use dual piston calipers..... 93-97 only have one (might as well use the Impala/Monte ones..... should be the same, and are more plentiful in the junk yards)

2) That should work, if they will do it for you. Thats what we're doing..... using the outer N-body CV on the stock 2.4 axles.

3) Yes, the F-body rotors are the same GM part number as the W-body (impala/monte).......

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:37 PM
would this swap even be possible on a 2nd gen?

DEF BOY customs
92 Z24 tuckin 19's
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:33 AM
It's been discussed, and the general answer is no. You'd have to dramatically increase the strength of the shock tower so it could support the weight of the vehicle.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:41 PM
does the j strut bolt up to the n-body spindle? by supporting the weight of the vehicle, do u mean the xtra weight of the nwf parts? cus other than that the weight of the vehicle is unchanged.

DEF BOY customs
92 Z24 tuckin 19's
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:30 PM
Ug, I'm out to lunch. I thought this was the IRS swap thread. Totally ignore that last post.
This swap does work on 2nd gens too (so I've been told). And 1st gens IIRC.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:59 PM
is there a picture of the N body knucle that I can look at anyone? I'm wondering if I can machine it to fit the jbody bearing? then no cv and bolt pattern changes need to be made. Just knucle, rotor, caliper and bracket.
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:14 PM
Rather, maybe it would be easier to drill a new bolt pattern into the n-body hub?
Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:00 AM
It's not even close to bolting in the same way. With enough time and money anything can be done. I'd just get dual pattern rims, or do the N-Body IRS swap too. I did and have 0 regrets. I can not believe how well my car handles.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:12 PM
The thing is im not interested in IRS since there just no need for it in the direction im taking my car. that and the tein SS suspension w/EDFC would be hacked to pieces......I already got rear discs so im good to go on that one. I just am really interested in a bigger front rotor and im surely not going to give somebody $1k doing it either. I'll grab a hub and see what i can do about redrilling the bolt pattern and then work my way backwards i guess. Thanks for your help CTS.

Friday, June 30, 2006 5:37 PM
got my front knuckles today along with ordering f body calipers with brackets and bolts. one miss leading thing for me was do i need the abs wiring off the car or do i use the j-body stuff for abs

Now Powered By TEAM GREEN

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Saturday, July 01, 2006 1:59 AM
your J-body wires will plug into the plugs on the N-body abs sensors (built into the hubs)

Saturday, July 01, 2006 6:49 PM
All GM cars (cars, not trucks) use the same type of sensor and the same plugs. Both front and back are the same too.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 11:51 AM
lots of talk about stuff coming from seperate cars. can it ALL come from one car? which one?

and if I remove everything from a low milage car, will I have to go buy anything new?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search