N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:44 AM
The front swap cost about $320. That's using mostly used parts, like rotors and such.
It could be done cheaper, shopping around, getting the cheapest prices.
And it can always be done more expensively...

The basic swap doesn't really change handling. I put new struts and springs on, so mine changed a lot!

Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:36 AM
ok but wont i have 2 different kind of wheels on my car. meaning that the front will be using camaro, and back will still be cavy. so when will we have both same size bolt patterns

I Drank 750 Bottles Of Mountain Dew For A XBOX 360.... AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID HAT.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:23 PM
Cavalier bolt patter is 5x100.
This swap uses 5x115, and there's no way I know of to change that. The hubs are completely different.

Many aftermarket wheels have both 5x100 adn 5x114.5 (which is close enough to 5x115). The stock wheels will not work with this swap, which is mentioned in the directions.

This swap does not use camaro hubs or rotors. Camaro uses a 5x4.75" hub IIRC, and would not work at all. I only used the caliper off a Camaro because it's dual piston, you can use the caliper off an Impala/Monte Carlo too, but it's only single piston, and I've been told you need to drill out the holes for the bracket bolts.

Please read all directions completely before you start this, and read them completely while doing it.

If you want the same bolt patter front and back: Do this swap with the IRS swap; OR leave your suspension alone.

Friday, December 16, 2005 9:28 AM
leaving it alone... to much for me

I Drank 750 Bottles Of Mountain Dew For A XBOX 360.... AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID HAT.
Friday, January 06, 2006 3:33 AM
im gonna read this through like 10 times then decide if i wanna do it or not

Monday, January 09, 2006 10:05 PM
If I were to do it again, I could do it in 6 hours flat (by myself mind you). If you've done stuff like this before it will be a brease. If you've only done minor stuff, it may take a while, but you'll get there. If you've never touched your car before (obviously doesn't apply to you) it will be trouble, but do-able.

The front is seeming really easy now that I'm doing the rear IRS swap. The rear is giving my a good butt-kicking with all the little suprises here and there. This was a no suprise, just follow those directions, should have been a stock option thing.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:01 PM
Are the Camaro and Corvette Front Brakes the same?

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:06 PM
No, corvette and camaro brakes are different. The vette's are larger iirc.

The struts and springs (in the front) are for a J-Body. They bolt right up to the N-Body knucle. I'm suprised Koni doesn't list for the N-Body. They make inserts that fit the front (our same J-Body inserts) and inserts for the rear (Taurus SHO 92-95 inserts iirc).

The B+Gs give the hole 1.6" drop, it's more than I expected. I like it though. I'll have to really watch for potholes and such; MI is 3rd worst in the nation for roads. J-Body springs sorta fit the N-Body mounts in the rear. I haven't driven on it much, so I'll let you know after I have.

Springs: J-Body B+Gs all around. Front fits just like it should. Rear, well we'll see.
Front Struts: I have AGXs in the front. No reason you couldn't use Koni's or whatever.
Rear Struts: I have Koni Yellows. Can use any N-Body rear struts though. McMoney was using stock last I knew, Lenko had GR2s last I knew. Those are about the only options, take your pick.

Friday, January 20, 2006 10:30 AM
Yeah, there isn't much for N-bodies

Friday, January 20, 2006 8:12 PM
CTS, thanks for answering all the questions

Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:58 PM
Great info... friends.

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Friday, January 27, 2006 3:31 PM
C.T.S wrote:I'm suprised Koni doesn't list for the N-Body. They make inserts that fit the front (our same J-Body inserts) and inserts for the rear (Taurus SHO 92-95 inserts iirc).

Probably the same reason they don't list anything for 2nd gen Js (they used to though, before the "compact craze"). The valving is different. 3rd gen inserts will work just fine with a few slight mods, and Saab 900NG shocks will work with a slight mod also (similar to the mods required using Konis on a 3rd gen), but the valving is not good for the spring rates and weight of the stock vehicle, which is what they base their valving off of.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:16 AM
How did I not see this thread before? That's great info, I'll be reading this all morning, lol!

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:15 AM
Quick question, I didn't see anywhere that a 16" rim will NOT fit, what is the smallest size rim that will fit over this brake setup?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:15 AM
A Grand Prix GT 16" Stock Rim fits over these. But just barely, and I mean milimeters to spare. 15" would not work. I'm sure there are Aftermarket 16" rims that will not fit either. Even the 17" rims I put on have only 1/2" to spare.

Stock rims will not work, wrong bolt pattern. Other than that, I'm not sure what does/doesn't fit.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 8:25 AM
quick question, since a 5x114.3 rim will fit a 5x115 hub will a 5x115 rim would fit a 5x114.3 hub?
Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:12 AM
Yes. Just make sure the hub ring will fit. Most 114.3 hub rings are larger than GMs 115. If that's what you're thinking.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 2:05 PM
A few ppl in town of said the following:

as long as you have a hubring shouldnt it be alright? i know my rims are universal 5 bolt, 5x100 and 5x114.3, if i was using a front bearing from an Alero (5x115), what can happen?

The lug nuts are not seated properly on the rim. This not only wrecks the lug seat on the rim, but it also puts a huge bending moment on the stud. Failure is what can happen.

what are my options?

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:28 PM
We're talking about 7 Tenths of a Millimeter. That's less than 4 human hairs.
"Huge bending moment on the stud", get real people.

You should always have the correct hub rings so it seats properly though. Otherwise the weight of the vehicle is put on the lugs, and there were NOT meant to carry ANY weight.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:40 PM
that was coming from a very well know technician, colin, aka V6ho on here, and the other's a mechanical engineer, so i trust what they say

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:51 PM
Now I did some rough measuring .. but it looks to me that the N Car strut is about the same dimensions as the J car front one ... I wonder if we could use 4 koni J car front inserts ? like I said they appear to me to be very close ....

Jay

Sunday, March 05, 2006 4:36 PM
You use the same J struts (whatever brand you want). So yeah, Koni's will be fine.
The only thing getting swapped is the knuckle, hub, and brakes. The struts, controll arm, and drive-shaft-up part of the axle stays.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:59 PM
Oops .. I need to explain better ... I meant for the IRS ... guess this is the wrong thread to talk about that though .... *smacks head*

Jay

Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:46 PM
Yeah... Should be in the IRS thread. But no, J-Body rears are not anywhere close, and J fronts will not fit in the in the N rears. And the J front struts (with Koni inserts) will not fit on the N rear knuckle.

Monday, March 06, 2006 5:30 PM
what I was thinking was J front inserts in the N rear srtut ....

Jay

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search