IRS How to - Page 6 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IRS How to
Thursday, October 27, 2005 7:44 AM
Lenkos is a convertible ... and I'm pretty sure he'll drive it this winter, unless he picks up a winter beater ... but then again ....... around here we rarely see any snow ... more rain than anything ....

Jay

Thursday, October 27, 2005 7:58 AM
All I have to say is.... there's a reason that real race cars (Honda, etc) use double wishbone suspensions.. not solid rear beam axles. The reason the J-car has a solid rear beam axle? Cost. That's pretty much it, folks.

But the bottom line is....

This is a "How to" thread... Not "Is IRS a good thing?"

so... before you guys take this so unbelieveably far off topic that n00bs reading it will start new threads asking how to do the swap (because there is SO MUCH opinionated garbage in this thread now)... I think I'm justified in saying.... STFU!!

Thursday, October 27, 2005 2:21 PM
CTS,

No worries. I do not take it personally. I am simply contributing to the discussion with valid points. Obviously very few will admit to this.

John,

Like I mentioned to CTS. I am contributing to this discussion. I did mention a part that could be used rather than the substandard KYB. I am pointing out an important set of ideas as well.

For god sake John, an scca honda car is no race car short of RWD and a tube or mono cock chassis. It's a street car put on th track. Using a FWD car as a reference to a proper race car chassis design is not relevant. They are making due. Just like what us street car modders are doing. Your right about the J's rear design being cheap. It think the other major reason was for trunk space. Like the Cobalt. Which is winning against the IRS cars now. BTW

Should we be teaching noobs that IRS on a FWD car is the grail. Should a noob even attempt this??????? Should the other side of the discussion never be mentioned in this how to? Without countering opinions, the sheep will make inappropriate decisions.

I take a little offence to your latest comment. You are not justified if it is directed at me. I have contributed more valid info than most on this thread that are stroking you. I'm sorry I haven't found god. Someone needs to add dthe reality check. If I need to be the bad guy. I'll try to STFU.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:31 PM
This is why I hate people on JBO who go off topic. This is my last post in this thread... if you have a response, I don't give a @!#$, and don't want to hear it.

My point was... this is a how-to thread. But you obviously missed that.

Aside from suggesting parts that might work, all you've done is argue about how IRS isn't worth it (in your opinion, I think that was pretty much what i got out of it).

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:14 PM
Why point at me. I stated very relevant points. Only to be attacked with irrelevant arguments. Essentially called an idiot. Just like the earlier fellow. While I may be so, my comments are valid. Telling me that Honda FWD track cars are designed that way because it's a better way is silly. I could not help but question this. Maybe Honda will release an FI car with FWD next year. I have yet to find a FWD suspension text. If you know of one, I'll buy it.

And MOST importantly I gave important information to allow readers to look at the big picture as they are researching their mods. It's sad that you accuse me of the misconduct. I made a point, suggested a part that would work better. There was much disinformation thrown out with regards to IRS that it needed to be said. In this thread.

Maybe the people that chose not to ignore my comments about IRS on a front wheel drive car could have held-back a little. Taken it for educated opinion and moved on and accepted my relevant addition to the topic on hand.

I am sorry to carry on...off topic and slightly defensive. My purpose is not insult.

I have soiled the thread with only 2 extra posts. At least my contribution in those 3 posts has some value. Something I thought forums were for.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 7:11 PM
Lenko, Still waiting for done pictures with the car at ride height!! Don't quit on me yet!

Friday, October 28, 2005 9:40 PM
I second Lenko's STFU. This is the best dam suspension HOW-TO ever. Period.
Sunday, October 30, 2005 12:10 AM

-------------

Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:53 PM
part number or what year of SHO for the koni please ?

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:12 AM
I do not have access to the records since I no longer work for that company. I have left a message to be called after Sema. I can find out 100% then.

I am pretty sure it's the part number as follows.

There is only one part number listed on thier application guide

8641-1323 Sport.

I'm sure you can call Koni and get the relevant maesurements to compare. Otherwise, you'll have to be patient with me.

Just to be clear. This is an insert that can be used in the rear of an N-body car. Stock dampeners should be used as the fit in the KYB is a PITA.

I am confident that this is the exact part I ordered from

Marcor

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 1:05 PM
does anybody know how lenko did the rear brake cables? did he do the same as mcmoney?

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:07 PM
Brake cables, I think they work basically the same... Looks that way anyway.

As for the shocks, Front shocks (such as AGX) will not work on the n-body rear because the knuckle is much thinner than the front knuckle, it just won't fit. I'm going to call Koni tomorrow if I get the time, and see if they have anything close.

Monday, November 07, 2005 1:12 PM
now can i still do the neon rear break swap on this IRS swap or not?
Monday, November 07, 2005 1:40 PM
1 1 wrote:now can i still do the neon rear break swap on this IRS swap or not?

No. Why would you even want to?

Any word on the Koni inert for the rear struts??
I'm still planning on using GR2s, but I'm holding off buying them because I'd prefer something adjustable.

Monday, November 07, 2005 3:27 PM

why would you replace the factory N-body rear disks with 1's from a neon ??

im sure they are back from SEMA yet , if any they might phyisicly be there , but not mentally

Monday, November 07, 2005 3:42 PM
i didnt know the n-body had disk brake setup sorry now would this swap be better for auto x driving or can it still be used for daily driving.
Monday, November 07, 2005 5:53 PM

1 1 wrote:i didnt know the n-body had disk brake setup sorry now would this swap be better for auto x driving or can it still be used for daily driving.

I guess you skipped over the first 5 pages.........

..... and yes, you can use it for daily driving.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:21 AM
The boys at Marcor have confirmed the part number used for the rear of an N-body.

86411323...It's listed for a 92-95 SHO.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:35 PM
I just came across this thread today b/c I'm never on this forum, but...

Michael Erdody wrote:yea IRS is a cool conversion but unless your'e off roading you don't want body roll right? ... its not like were driving over two foot tall boulders and need the independent travel -

I have yet to see a SINGLE truck, and I mean a real truck, not those dumb lil Escapes and Rav-4's and crap, with IRS setup. I have never heard of such a thing. 3-links, 4-links, etc yes, but not IRS. Not even the desert Pre-Runners have IRS, they are solid axle too. Rockcrawlers esp need solid axles b/c a lift kit for IRS/IFS is insanely expensive and only gives you a few inches, and you're limited by the little midget-length half-shafts. Why do you think off-roaders that have trucks with @!#$ty IFS torch off the IFS and put a solid axle under the front??

And don't try to tell me I don't know crap about off-road 4x4's because I've been in love with them since I was like 10 (I'm almost 22 now). /rant

McMoney, awesome job on the IRS for your car man! I've thought about some type of IRS set-up for my car, but I'm not too sure yet.

Sunday, November 13, 2005 9:07 PM
i would like to see the pics of lenko's setup but the one he posted i cant see !

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/lman1.jpg
Sunday, November 20, 2005 6:04 AM
Have you looked at the latest generation of Explorers? Running an IRS in it. Most often trucks run solid axles as it is cheap, and hard to handle the torque of a 2+ ton truck. That ad the solid axle is WAY CHEAPER and increases the profit margins on trucks. Also solid axles strength help support the vehicles as they are crawling over the rocks.

And this is totally unrelated. Cars and trucks are entirely different animals. Comparing them is like comapring apples and oranges.

Sunday, November 20, 2005 6:23 AM
Roughed In wrote:I have yet to see a SINGLE truck, and I mean a real truck, not those dumb lil Escapes and Rav-4's and crap, with IRS setup. I have never heard of such a thing. 3-links, 4-links, etc yes, but not IRS. Not even the desert Pre-Runners have IRS, they are solid axle too. Rockcrawlers esp need solid axles b/c a lift kit for IRS/IFS is insanely expensive and only gives you a few inches, and you're limited by the little midget-length half-shafts. Why do you think off-roaders that have trucks with @!#$ty IFS torch off the IFS and put a solid axle under the front??

And don't try to tell me I don't know crap about off-road 4x4's because I've been in love with them since I was like 10 (I'm almost 22 now). /rant

A big reason large off-road trucks have solid axles is that with so much suspension travel and under those loads, you have a much higher risk of dropping and/or breaking an axle.
The other thing, and you reinforced it in your own argument, is that many of the vehicles you listed, as well as most production vehicles (cars and trucks) have solid rear axles because of cost.

Monday, November 21, 2005 8:04 AM
Marchi1 wrote:Have you looked at the latest generation of Explorers? Running an IRS in it. Most often trucks run solid axles as it is cheap, and hard to handle the torque of a 2+ ton truck. That ad the solid axle is WAY CHEAPER and increases the profit margins on trucks. Also solid axles strength help support the vehicles as they are crawling over the rocks.

And this is totally unrelated. Cars and trucks are entirely different animals. Comparing them is like comapring apples and oranges.

Haven't really paid attention to the Explorer b/c I'm not a Ford guy (but, ironically, I'm pickin' up an 87 Ranger 4x4 this week for a winter beater...). If they're IRS, it's for street purposes. Idiots want their SUV to handle like a small car, and the only way for that is independent suspension. Solid axles typically give a rougher ride, and looser handling than independent.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:10 PM
Sorry about that... my pics are back up.

I haven't aligned my car yet. It's still uninsured (for the winter).

it handles as good as my solid beam did after I put a Addco rear sway bar on it. i will be adding the www.partsforyourcar.com bigger rear sway bar... that should make a nice difference.

I used the N-body brake cables... with the J-car ebrake handle. It fits fine.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:14 PM
just curious if you ever got that alignment. If so how is it now? Just asking cause I'm interested and have access to all the parts needed for free

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search