rear suspension - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear suspension
Friday, March 02, 2007 12:38 PM
i was wondering what kind of suspension that comes stock on a 2000 cavy i had uneven tire wear of both sets of rims and my mechanic told me it was Probably my rear shock but i not sure if it is coilover i think it is but not sure

Re: rear suspension
Friday, March 02, 2007 12:43 PM
there is a shock with a coil on the top of it, i would just get the rear shocks and coils replaced, but if youre going through that trouble i would just get some lowering springs and kyb AGX's or GR2s....
Friday, March 02, 2007 12:49 PM
their not coilovers. they are just regular oem springs. the uneven tire wear is probably not from your rear struts. your tires could of probably needed to be balanced or it could be as simple as not enough or too much air in the tire

Friday, March 02, 2007 1:02 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:their not coilovers. they are just regular oem springs. the uneven tire wear is probably not from your rear struts. your tires could of probably needed to be balanced or it could be as simple as not enough or too much air in the tire

What we in the modding world call "coilovers" and what regular mechanics call "coilovers" are two different things.

The rear suspension uses a coil over shock assembly. I don' t see what this has to do with uneven tire wear though. Generally uneven wear has to do with a bad alignment.

What sort of uneven wear are you getting?

Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:52 AM
Just a helpful hint, and correct me if im wrong. But cavaliers camber are set to 0 degrees from the factory and cannot be changed by lifting or lowering the rear of the car. So if you have un-even wear on your tires, check for something that could be Bent or possibly broken. Even if you only had shock/spring failure on the left or right side in the rear. it still wouldnt offset your camber. but insted just make the body of your car sit weird. Hope this helps
Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:43 AM
all i kow is that is have 17 inch motegi rims and the had 45psi in them and my winter rims have uneven tire wear on the inside of the tire also at 32 psi
Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:37 PM
get an alignment

Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:48 PM
i had it aligned and at the first of summer and when i took rims off at the end of fall it still happened so i think it might be somethign different but i am not really sure but i want to figure it out before i buy new tires and ruin them also
Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:56 PM
First off, 45 psi is way too high. If they were wearing more in the middle of the tread, then that will be your reason.

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:09 AM
should be around 35-37 psi

Monday, March 05, 2007 6:38 AM
not it is wearing on the inside of the back wheels not the middle

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:03 AM
Is it doing it to both sides? Do you have the print out from your last alignment?

It sounds like a problem with the alignment. The rear alignment is not adjustable from the factory so when you went in for an alignment the tech set your toe in the front within factory specifications and checked to make sure that your rear was within factory spec's. The only way to adjust the alignment in the rear is to add a plastic shim.

Monday, March 05, 2007 12:23 PM
no i didn't get one so the told me that some bushign just needed lubed up but it still happened so i have not ideal
Friday, March 16, 2007 11:21 AM
i checked my tire pressure and it said it was like 38 so i dont' know if 1 poiund would make that much of a difference
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:23 AM
well my tire pressure is set at like 50 psi and thats what the people put it at at the tire place were i got my rims and tires and thats what the tire recommends or says on the sidewall.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:41 AM
50 is probably the max. i never knew tire pressure was this hard to figure out

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:07 AM
well i just checked the tire pressure the tire place set it at 50 and all it says on the side wall is 50 so i dont know but when i got the tires i was thinking 50 psi dang thats alot of psi but the tire is like only a halfinch tall so its pretty low.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:14 AM
Put some info in your registry so we know what you have.

50 is way too high and you should go fix it immediately before you have a failure. Are you running 19's or something?

Generally, we run around 35 psi for low profile tires (like 225/40/18's).

Check your sidewalls to see what the max PSI is. You should never inflate the tires to within 5 psi or so of that max. When you drive, they heat up and the pressure increases. If it goes above the max for any length of time, you could have some real problems.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:39 AM
Quote:

well my tire pressure is set at like 50 psi and thats what the people put it at at the tire place were i got my rims and tires and thats what the tire recommends or says on the sidewall.

Never go back there. Ever. Anyone that sells or installs tires for a living that goes by the sidewall stamp is either a) brand new or b) a moron. Air pressures are always, ALWAYS vehicle specific, not tire specific.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:04 AM
yeah but i checked the tire pressure myself and it shows 50psi on a tire gauge
Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:05 AM
i am running 18's on my car

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:28 AM
Nathan Walbourn wrote:yeah but i checked the tire pressure myself and it shows 50psi on a tire gauge

What does that have to do with anything? You already said the tire shop put 50 in them and they say 50 on the side. So buy you checking and them being 50 only proves they don't leak. Like it was said it's too high of a pressure for 18's. Your car probably rides rough and bounces all over. I'd lower them to 35 and then your sidewall can absorb some of the road and it will ride a little smoother.

But what do I know I've only been doing tires and wheels for 4 years.

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:50 AM
it rides the same as when i had stock Z24 wheels with stock tires (not original but the same kind) it hassnt changed the ride at all! in fact i think it rides a lil better if anything
Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:30 AM
DUDE DO YOU NOT GET? LOWER YOUR PRESSURE IN YOUR TIRES. PUT 35 IN THEM LIKE EVERYBODY SAYS. IF YOU CANT FIGURE THAT OUT PLEASE NEVER TOUCH A WRENCH AGAIN.

SORRY IF I CAME OFF AS AN ARSE BUT THERES 20 LIKE PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO PUT 35 IN THEM BUT YOUR LIKE THEY HAVE 50 AND THATS WHAT THE TIRE SAYS. IF YOUR NOT GONNA TAKE ADVICE DONT ASK FOR HELP.

P.S THE REASON THERE WEARING FUNNY IS PROLLY CAUSE OF OVER INFLATION SO DO WHAT THEY SAY AND FIX YOUR PROBLEM
Friday, March 30, 2007 6:54 AM
one is im not askking for no help here everythings alright with me and plus my tires arent wearing funny neither. Derrick Sheets was the one that had a problem people was talkig about tire pressure and i put mine up i like where my tire pressure is it suites me so im good not goin to change it. and its not over inflating them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search