No Struts? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No Struts?
Friday, July 06, 2007 2:00 PM
A little background history before we begin. I bought my car about 5-6 months ago, and ever since I got it, I've heard this popping noise coming from the front tires. The noise is mostly when I turn, especially when I'm not moving. The car was lowered, and we figured whoever did it didn't cut the springs or get a lowering kit, and just compressed the hell out of them.

When I got my oil changed the other week by my mechanic, he informed us that the car apparently had no struts. When he lifted it, the springs supposedly fell right off the car. Has anybody seen/heard of this before? It would certainly explain the popping noise, because the springs would be under extreme constant pressure, right? The ride is pretty rough, but I don't mind it so much, I've gotten used to it, but my question still remains.

If I indeed don't have any struts on my car, will it affect it performance-wise? I know it seems like a silly question, but I don't know much about cars, never mind the suspensions of them. Secondly, if it will affect my cars performance, what are some decently good struts to buy? Thanks.

Re: No Struts?
Friday, July 06, 2007 2:24 PM
you couldnt have a spring in there if there is no strut. the spring perchs are on the actual strut so i dont know what the heck ur problem is

Friday, July 06, 2007 2:25 PM
oh and your front wheel would just flop around if there was no strut because the strut mounts to the steering knuckle

Friday, July 06, 2007 2:30 PM
It seemed a bit odd to me that he said I had no struts. As I said, I don 't know much about cars, but that seemed kind of off. Anyways, I still think the springs are just compressed as all hell, and that's what's causing the popping noise. Any suggestions as to which suspension kit I should buy, I'm not so worried about ride quality, but I'm going to eventually take this thing to the 1/4 track (at some point in my life), so I want something that'll help me stick. Thanks.

Friday, July 06, 2007 2:30 PM
^^^right he is.
you HAVE to have struts.

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Friday, July 06, 2007 4:34 PM
You say you know nothing about cars?

You must have went to a shady mechanic that could tell you don't know anything. If you didn't have struts, you would have no springs.. and you would not be driving your car.

My advice, get a clue about cars and never go back to that mechanic again.

1983 Camaro Z28
Friday, July 06, 2007 5:03 PM
Ron Carvalho wrote:my mechanic, he informed us that the car apparently had no struts.

Did he tell you there was no change in the ashtray too? LOL

Seriously, I agree with the others about the spring perches -- which are on the struts -- being necessary for the springs to even be installed. Even if the springs were somehow installed without the struts, your ride would be bouncy as sin. You would notice this. Also, the springs are meant to support the weight of the car. Lack of struts would not make them "compressed all to hell". You'll have to look for a less mystical explanation for your steering popping.

Struts/shocks dampen suspension movement. If you press down on the end of your car and "bounce" it up and down, and it comes to rest almost right away, rest assured you do in fact have struts.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Friday, July 06, 2007 5:21 PM
It could have been a possible misunderstanding between my father and the mechanic, he took the car down, I didn't. Like I said though, I know nothing about the suspension of cars, but I feel like the popping noise is definitely the springs. Either way, where can I get a full new suspension kit? I've heard Koni Yellow is good, but is there any place I could buy a full kit, like Struts/Shocks/Springs etc.? I'm looking to eventually build this car up a bit, and I WANT to learn more about it, because I'd really like to take it to the 1/4 some day, so good suspension is a must. Thanks.

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:42 PM
id put money on it that the popping sound is your strut mounts, the bearings are known for going in them causing those symtoms. If the mechanic said it has no struts, definitely never go back there, it is impossible as without it, there is nowhere for the spring to mount and also nothing to hold your steering knuckles in place

Friday, July 06, 2007 8:18 PM
alot of people go with koni's and eibach springs. those are nice and would be good for your application

Saturday, July 07, 2007 12:06 AM
Eiback prokit (1.4" drop) and KYB AGX struts are practically made for each other, and the AGX's are adjustable, and cheaper than the Konis. Koni Yellows and Eiback Sportline kit (1.7" front, 2.3" rear drop) are a great combo too.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 7:52 AM
Alright guys, thanks tons.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 6:32 PM
Sounds like maybe the mechanic was referring to the fact that there was no Strut life left. If you said you car was lowered, and the mechanic said the springs where practicly falling off the car, than someone has more than likely cut these springs at some point. And if the springs where cut, than that would explain the popping noise

Sunday, July 08, 2007 7:17 PM
Devin Russell wrote:Sounds like maybe the mechanic was referring to the fact that there was no Strut life left. If you said you car was lowered, and the mechanic said the springs where practicly falling off the car, than someone has more than likely cut these springs at some point. And if the springs where cut, than that would explain the popping noise

That seems very likely now that you stated it that way. I heard it through my father, and he likes to pretend he knows a lot about cars, but sometimes I wonder. Thank you very much, and looks like I've got the right idea to be in the market for a new suspension kit. Thanks again everybody.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 9:37 PM
By saying "no struts in the car" he could have been meaning "your struts are shot".

Call it "old mechanic speak". I talk this way sometimes... I got no beer in me...

Sunday, July 08, 2007 10:47 PM
John Lenko wrote:By saying "no struts in the car" he could have been meaning "your struts are shot".

Call it "old mechanic speak". I talk this way sometimes... I got no beer in me...

haha very true

Monday, July 09, 2007 9:37 AM
Picturing this made me laugh:

Quote:

When I got my oil changed the other week by my mechanic, he informed us that the car apparently had no struts. When he lifted it, the springs supposedly fell right off the car. Has anybody seen/heard of this before?

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, July 09, 2007 9:58 AM
Definitely sounds to me like it has lowering springs/cut stock springs on stock struts. Stock struts are of course too long, and when the wheels were left hanging, the excess space left above them became apparent and the springs came loose from the upper mounts. I've seen it before on my friends CRX when he put coilovers on the stock struts, you can actually grab the springs when the wheels are hanging and move them around up and down.

Monday, July 09, 2007 10:23 AM
Quote:

I got no beer in me...

There is the biggest lie in this entire thread.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search