Removing Brake Rotor! - pls help! any more ideas? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing Brake Rotor! - pls help! any more ideas?
Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:06 PM
Hey guys, I still cant believe it, Im having a real hard time trying to get this rotor off! its bitch!! Those rotors needs to be replaced.

Ive tried 2 pry bars, WD-40, big hammer, torch... none of them works! it just wont even loosen up or move at all. I even had to ask my dad to help me with that... we still couldnt! You can see how hard Ive beaten the rotor there!

Any ideas? beside replacing the whole spindle!

I need to get this brake job done before winter time comes! thanks!

Re: Removing Brake Rotor! - pls help! any more ideas?
Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:15 PM
have you tried taking some emery cloth and sanding around the lip on the spindle(the one around big nut) ? my guess is that's where its stuck try heating and beating on it there. i would use an aluminum or brass punch tho. you don't want to wreck the spindle. Good luck

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:21 PM
you could always cut the studs as close as you can to the rotor and beat it off with a hammer then replace the studs, or try heating the studs up n beat on em to try n brake any rust or corrosion holding it on, it should come off never seen a rotor that wouldnt come off without a BFH
Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:22 PM
Yeah I did some good cleaning around there with a thin flat head screwdriver. Spraying a lot of WD40 too.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:32 PM
I guess I should just hit and loose each of the studs at a time. That would work but it sure wont allow rotor to rotate if I need it to.. but thats another way.

Ill do that this weekend!

Keep the ideas coming, thanks again!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 11:08 PM
if you try to pound on the studs make sure you put the lug nut on just so it is even with the end of the stud, so your pounding on the nut and stud at the same time. this with distribute the force of the blows and will avoid mushrooming the end of the stud. if things go right u could probably reuse the studs

Thursday, November 01, 2007 11:35 PM
GOOD GOD!

Looks like the rust glued em together behind there.

Try using something like this:

If that doesnt work, then I dont know what will.

Guess Who's back!!!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 11:49 PM
Joey, thanks!

lol yeah the rotor sure are glued on there very well! thanks for the tip too Jason!

Friday, November 02, 2007 2:12 AM
BFH!

Friday, November 02, 2007 3:34 AM
ditch the wd and soak it with some PB, then @!#$ it if your replacing them any ways

Friday, November 02, 2007 3:49 AM
Beat the rotor between the studs. Hitting the studs won't do anything but pop your studs out. The rotor is not rusted onto the studs. It is rusted onto the hub.
And hit all the way around the surface of the rotor between the studs. Not just one spot.

Friday, November 02, 2007 4:04 AM
i agree with dropping the wd-40... its not really ment for this type of stuff. get some nice penetrating oil. i use fluid film (got t at part source). spray and walk a way for a bit so it can soak in. spray a little more on for good measure before you go at it. with the hammer and such. you will get them off, just be patient.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Friday, November 02, 2007 5:34 AM
Yeah get some PB Blaster it works well. I also agree it is not the studs, but the center that is the problem.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 02, 2007 5:54 AM
Just smack it really hard on the back side of the rotor until it comes off. If you are replacing it anyway... that's how I get the stubborn ones off. But, I have the advantage of being able to stand up and do it because of where I work. Might be harder on the ground, but more than worth it. Sometimes you just have to beat the @!#$ out of stuff, also try some PB Blaster instead, that stuff works miracles. Let it soak for a good 5 minutes though. Also, try a bigger pry bar. Have someone pull on it, while you smack the rotor with a hammer.. that will usually do it too.

1983 Camaro Z28
Friday, November 02, 2007 5:55 AM
Definitely try a different pry bar actually, looks like yours just flex.. get a heavy duty one, that's thicker and longer.

1983 Camaro Z28
Friday, November 02, 2007 6:11 AM
Phewes, try turning the steering wheel all the way to one side so you can get a better angle on the back side of the rotor... Then, beat the living hell out of that sumbitch from the back. And I mean HIT the damn thing, no kidding around with it! A lot of people don't want to really wail on things like that, but sometimes, you just have to beat the ever-loving crap out of it. If that doesn't work, get some PB Blaster penetrating oil, as mentioned by others, and get a bigger hammer I find a brass, ball-peen 2.5-3 pounder works pretty good.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, November 02, 2007 8:04 AM
pb blaster is great. i use that over wd-40 all the time.

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:09 AM
PB Blaster and BIG @!#$ HAMMER

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 02, 2007 10:15 AM
PB, then hit the rotor on opposite sides with a BFH. I just went through this on my '02. Took me 1/2 hour of as much muscle as i could muster to get it off the car. I was told switching sides for each blow helps to "rock" it off the hub.

I should take pics of the rotor I took off, its almost cracked in 1/2 from hitting it so much haha.

Good Luck
Friday, November 02, 2007 4:38 PM
just beat it liek you got a pair. hit it hard enough and it will come off

Friday, November 02, 2007 6:13 PM
BFH ftw!!!!! Works....most of the time . Good luck.

My weapon of choice in this situation...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 02, 2007 6:14 PM

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Friday, November 02, 2007 5:45 PM

That propane torch is not enough.By the time it gets the rotor hot to much heat is transfered to the spindle and the expansion factor is lost.You need a good oxy/acetalene set up,heat the rotor in 1 or 2 spots to red hot as quick as possible then give it a good wack.
You could also try heating up the rotor then giving it a shot with a co2 fire extinguisher.The sudden cool down by the cold co2 can sometimes shock the rusty joint free.But anyways you need a better torch to be effective.You gotta heat it up fast so as not to transfer the heat and gain max. effect of the expansion of the outer piece.Good luck.
Friday, November 02, 2007 7:35 PM
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:BFH ftw!!!!! Works....most of the time . Good luck.

My weapon of choice in this situation...

why would you use MEKP on a rotor?

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:40 PM
I haven't tried it yet, because I still have a nearly full can of PB B;aster, but CRC Freeze-Off is supposed to be some great stuff. A couple mechanics I know say that's what they prefer now.

Heat the rotor, then hit the hub with the Freeze-Off. The heat should cause the rotor to expand, then the cold will shrink the hub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 02, 2007 8:44 PM

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:54 PM
Use a sledge hammer and don't be afraid. Just don't miss and hit your fender

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
**CHECK MY CAR PROFILE, I HAVE STUFF FOR
SALE AS WELL AS THE CAR,PLEASE PM
ME WITH INTEREST IN ANYTHING
I'M SELLING. THANKS!**

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search