Rear Axle Bushings. (Here you go TTR) - Page 8 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear Axle Bushings. (Here you go TTR)
Friday, September 19, 2008 7:48 AM
Why must products like this come out after lossing my 'Fire?

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:02 AM
s1lver_N1p (S-m62) wrote:
Cody@RDFabs.com wrote:http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7671

Jump on the bandwagon boys....

I'm going to remove my name and add it to Level zeros...

-MD- LD9 wrote:Level Zero Motorsports is SELLING rear Axle Bushing now...CHEAP!
Click me!

wtf? he specifically said do not share this with others.

I agree. You guys probably screwed me out of my pair for the discounted price.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, September 19, 2008 10:19 AM
Joey, I guess you didn't @!#$ read anything.
If you look at the dates it was brought up here in august. Chayton / Zero posted to keep it private mid September.
Also,
levelzero wrote:Hi,
Don't worry about it I can't really complain when people are advertising my products for me.
Clayton
Level Zero Motorsports

-MD- HHR wrote:Silver brought it to my attention this was kinda a private price. Cody and I posted this over on j-body back in august. I'm sorry for any problems this may have caused.
-Mike-

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, September 19, 2008 4:54 PM
and now there at 45 bucks. i WAS gonna order 2 sets last nite but i wanted to clear it with the girl. now im not gonna for a while unless he does a GP on here for them. ah well. whatever floats the boat i suppose.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:28 PM
agreed with the previous statement... if they weren't supposed to be available publicly, they should have been left off the storefront.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:44 AM
Ghey is all I have to say.

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Saturday, September 20, 2008 10:33 AM
personally i dont see what the issue is.

you make products to make money... the demand is here.

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Friday, December 26, 2008 11:18 PM
Well a bit of an update and a seemingly dead issue.
I started this bushing removal about a month ago, working on it on and off during that time.
I had no problems with removing the axle but had to cut my e-brake since it wouldn't budge apart to separate itself from the axle. No biggie though as I'm also doing the Neon disc conversion too.

Once the axle was off, I then surveyed the bushing on the axle and knew that it would be quite difficult.
So initially I tried to remove the inner sleeve with a gear puller with some success but decided that a knot on the shin is not the way to go when the puller gives and the parts go flying toward your shin. OUCH.

From that little episode, I knew I was in for the challenge of my life.
The bushing that GM installs is already a poly unit with the product seemingly similar to the 3-m windshield sealant polyurethane which is very durable and super strong.
The inner sleeve had to literally be ripped out with the gear puller while most of the urethane was still left in the collar of the axle.

So out of frustration, I bought a shop press, 12 ton to be exact to help along with this project.
I just completed the building of the press today and thought I'd put it to the test.
So I pressed out the other inner sleeve with the press with no problems but again, the urethane bushing was still in the collar which had to be removed.
The bushing also has an outer sleeve which is pressed into the collar of the axle as a complete unit that needed to be removed too.
So the only way to do that was the hard way.

Since I tried to press out the outer sleeve with the press by holding the axle with one hand, resting on my shoulder, all the while positioning it on the press, and trying to press it out, it never would.
Failure one.

So I went old school method as I always seem to do with the car and literally took a screwdriver (small blade) and pounded it between the collar and outer sleeve.
It took a bit but started making headway into the sleeve. Once I got the screwdriver to the other end, I pulled it out and inserted another larger screwdriver into that spot and started pounding away. Once the screwdriver got about 3/4 into the collar, the unit popped out of the collar leaving a nice clean opening for the new bushings. Yay.

So I did the same for the other side and now have gotten both of the bushings out, the inner sleeve, and outer sleeve from the collar.
6 hours worth of work to do this and a month to figure out exactly what had to be done to complete this job.

It's not easy people.
I'm sure there's another way to do this but with the way the outer sleeve is built into the collar of the axle, there really was no other way for me to be able to remove the bushings.

I'll be taking some pictures of the work I did tomorrow as I really had no time to take pictures since I wasn't sure as to what procedure it would take to remove the bushings. Again, it's not easy so for those that have bought the bushings, you're in for a treat or to some, a nightmare of removing the old bushings.

Pics tomorrow so people will get an idea of how to do this and hope it takes the guessing out of getting them out.
Oh and I guess you could take it to a machine shop if you had to but they'll have the same issue as I did in trying to remove them from the axles.
More tomorrow and sorry for the long post.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:27 AM
Sorry to hear it's being a pita for you.

When we did it at the shop, it too two of us about 15 minutes to get both bushings out. We used a 16t press, an aluminum drift and simply pressed the old bushings out metal sleeves and all. Another option is to burn/cut out the old rubber and then cut the steel sleeve with either a hacksaw or a dremel, although the dremel might be hard to get in there.

If the install is really going to give that many people a hard time, I could also design a special puller that could be bought/rented from us.
Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:41 AM
Not everybody has access to the special pieces for a press unfortunately. I tried looking for some way to be able to do what you were talking about but had nothing in my arsenal of parts to be able to do that.
Plus, with no help (thanks all my local friends-sheesh), I had to not only hold the axle steady by my self but to work the hydraulic press for just the inner sleeves.
It's all good though, it'd done and I'm very happy it's over.
I'm now ready for installation of the bushings and upon prefitting the new bushings, fit perfectly in the collars with no issues.
They'll be a bit tough to put back on the frame but I'd rather have that so I'm assured a nice stable rear axle assembly.

Thanks for the response and I'll be posting up some pictures sometime this evening.
Oh and burning out/ cutting out the bushing is impossible. Been there with the cutting and I'm never chancing the prospect of burning out bushings.
The oem rubber is extremely durable and believe me, it's impossible to work with. I tried drilling it. Yeah right, that worked well.
I tried cutting it. Yeah right.
This is not as easy as it was doing the control arm bushings which had the bushings pop right out for you to cut out the sleeve with a hacksaw.
So I did what I always do, the hard, old school way I usually do things. Maybe because I'm old, not sure.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:23 AM
eh... so the stockers are already urathane? so whats the benefit of getting.... these?

Are you scared of the changes coming? The answer is on the inside.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:34 AM
^^ thinking the same thing.

Still, thanks for the write up.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:37 AM
Well if they're rubber, they certainly took on the characteristics of urethane in the way they ripped apart and how durable they were while being virtually indestructable. I've never seen rubber that hard to work with.
But either way, when you remove the old and install the new, you'll see why it's going to be work it.
When GM poured the rubber/ urethane into the metal sleeve, it left a rounded bushings which would cause the axle to have some side to side motion while in the mount that holds the axle to the body.
With the new bushings, that will be eliminated because of the way they're squared off in their design and have a higher durometer Urethane than what the factory seemed to use.
But I'll give the factory bushings credit, they'll never wear out.
I'll have picks up tonight and don't laugh at the way I did this either. lol
It did work, yes?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 1:13 PM
Some pictures and if you want to see the progress of the how-to, here's the page to see it step by step. Make sure that you see page two for the most recent update.

Here's how I removed the bushing from the collar of the axle. This just shows how I did it and it will work if you're patient enough and have a couple of chrome vanadium screw drivers that won't break when you start pounding between the collar and bushing sleeve.

A couple of shots of the bushing removed, the inner sleeve removed, and how the screwdriver effected the outcome of the bushing coming out.
And the inner sleeve must be removed first to relieve the tension that the inner sleeve has on the rubber bushing on the outer sleeve which keeps it retained to the collar.

Here's the collar once the bushing is removed, nice and clean. Once you break the tension of the bushing in the collar, it comes right out. But getting it to relieve that pressure is hard to do.

This picture will give you an idea of how it all came out of the collar.
It's pretty much self explanatory.

Finally, some pictures of the new LevelZero bushings installed (for picture purposes) into the axle.
I've still got to clean up the axle, paint it up, and then reinstall it onto the car so I can then finish up the Neon rear disc conversion.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, December 29, 2008 6:45 AM
looks good blu

Monday, December 29, 2008 8:39 AM
yay

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Monday, December 29, 2008 12:26 PM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:
s1lver_N1p (S-m62) wrote:
Cody@RDFabs.com wrote:http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7671

Jump on the bandwagon boys....

I'm going to remove my name and add it to Level zeros...

-MD- LD9 wrote:Level Zero Motorsports is SELLING rear Axle Bushing now...CHEAP!
Click me!

wtf? he specifically said do not share this with others.

I agree. You guys probably screwed me out of my pair for the discounted price.

So that's who hit me up with negative rep on that forum....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search