Anyone done a Aftermarket Master? Willwood or SSBC? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone done a Aftermarket Master? Willwood or SSBC?
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:50 AM
I think Chris Lavorty(sp) had a SSBC on his car back in the day, and I was looking into Wilwood's aftermarket ones. I don't know the size of our master so I thought Iwould ask about the size of the stock one, and can we use an aftermarket one without problems?

Re: Anyone done a Aftermarket Master? Willwood or SSBC?
Friday, August 22, 2008 10:43 AM
Listening.

Friday, August 22, 2008 11:19 AM
Flipspeed used the SSBC one on his car. Bolts right up and provided the power necessary to run 2 wilwood front kits. (One on the back using a Cadillac rear caliper I believe)

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 22, 2008 11:47 AM
Does anyone know what size our master is? Cause I would like to get one for the car with the planed upgrades. I would like to get the Wilwood if they make one for us. Cause like you said I've seen an SSBC, but not anything else.

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:43 PM
Trey

Yep, Sweetness is right, it was Flipspeed.

You might be interested in his rear conversion as well

Flipspeed's brakes

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Friday, August 22, 2008 1:30 PM
pj just recently put one on the skwirl....

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:01 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Trey

Yep, Sweetness is right, it was Flipspeed.

You might be interested in his rear conversion as well

Flipspeed's brakes
I know what I'm going to do in the rear, but I wouldlike to upgrade this also.

z yaaaa wrote:pj just recently put one on the skwirl....
What one?

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:01 PM
PJ has the Willwood

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=411449&t=411449&p=2

starts in the middle of the page and continues to the next page, hope this helps

Lanman31337 -F = fatties = do not want. A little chunk in the junk is ok though.

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:50 PM
Both N body and H body MCs have a 1" bore, and bolt right up. The only drawback is they're both 2 port, so you would need to split your system and totally ditch the ABS.

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:02 PM
I think I like that one PJ put on the car, and doesn't seem like to big of a deal. I also would like to run Stainless steal lines, but that might be dreaming.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:36 AM
By getting rid of the vacuum booster you've essentially made it impossible to run 4 wheel disc brakes correct? I want 4 wheel discs but I want the added space that PJ got when he ditched his booster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:37 AM

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:13 PM

That's just f*cking sexy right there.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:11 PM
hypsy... maybe you should look into a power steering fluid brake booster... (no idea if its possible or if it will work, but its an idea to throw around)

Monday, August 25, 2008 10:34 AM
So will the SSBC master bolt up and be a direct replacement, or would there be line fab to do. i would like to replace mine as well, but i dont want to have to make new lines.

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:21 PM
^Why don't you use the Wilwood one to match your setup?

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:34 PM
well that question was kidna general...i shoulda stated that...i would liek the wilwood one, but is it a direct bolt up with no mods to the lines or anything?

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:35 PM
z yaaaa wrote:hypsy... maybe you should look into a power steering fluid brake booster... (no idea if its possible or if it will work, but its an idea to throw around)

No power steering kinda shoots that idea out LOL.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, August 25, 2008 1:12 PM
our master cylinders are pretty standard. I'll take some measurements and post pictures when I get a chance, but those master cylinders will bolt right onto our booster.

the wilwood is a bit longer than the stocker tho so it may effect pedal travel a tad. I'm not sure on the SSBC one.

most manufacturers have dimensions for their masters.. you could always look em up and compare and what not.

no need to ditch the ABS either on the 2000+ model years, just run the lines from the new master to the ABS box.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:18 PM
I dont have ABS. so thats not really a problem....Atleast i dont think i do...lol how do i check. I just dont wanna have to remake lines. I would REPLACE with new stock lines, but i dont wanna get into custom...

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:35 PM
na the only thing you have to worry about is going from whatever threads are on the master cylinder to the threads on your distribution block.

mine were 1/2 NPT and I used russel pre-assembled brake lines for it.

The only thing I did was I modified my brake distribution block to accept 1/2 NPT thread. I had to drill and tap it out (I didn't feel like finding the adapters, but I'm SURE they exist I just don't know the size).

so I put two 1/2 NPT to -3AN adapters in my master cylinder, and two 1/2 NPT to -3AN adapters in my distribution block and used -3AN lines to connect them. Nice and simple.

heres the pictures from my other thread:

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:05 PM
z yaaaa wrote:hypsy... maybe you should look into a power steering fluid brake booster... (no idea if its possible or if it will work, but its an idea to throw around)

Yes it works. I don't have pics to prove it yet, but it does work.

The lines are the easiest part. And PJs method is the easiest retrofit I've ever seen, short of a 2 line system. I have yet to see a good style tee with metric bubble flares. Most of them are combined with some other fitting you'd never use. Even if you didn't want to go "custom", you could still simply replace the stock lines with all standard 3/8" IF lines and use any of the extremely common IF tees to make the plumbing even more compact.

PJ- are you worried about any backflow with the lines being higher than the MC? Or is there a check valve in the distro block?

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:04 AM
cahill, i'm pretty sure there's check valves in the distro block, if not I'm going to have to do some rearranging.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:37 AM
This looks interesting and I am sorry to thread jack but it seems you guys know what your talking about so I have two questions. One is there a way of running stainless braided lines throughout the entire car for brakes. and what is the benefit of having stainless lines?

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:42 PM
M-1 Erma Jean wrote:This looks interesting and I am sorry to thread jack but it seems you guys know what your talking about so I have two questions. One is there a way of running stainless braided lines throughout the entire car for brakes. and what is the benefit of having stainless lines?

The main benefit of stainless is lines is they don't expand under high pressures, nor do they break down over time like rubber does. Putting them on the whole car would be pointless, as 90% of the lines are already made of steel. The rubber hoses are only used in places to allow movement, be it suspension travel or steering.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Friday, September 05, 2008 11:28 AM
M-1 Erma Jean wrote:This looks interesting and I am sorry to thread jack but it seems you guys know what your talking about so I have two questions. One is there a way of running stainless braided lines throughout the entire car for brakes. and what is the benefit of having stainless lines?

I was told by a "professional" at I believe Russel or Earls that it is not advisable to replace the entire (100 line system with full braided stainless, that metal is the way to go, but do replace the factory rubber lines with braided stainless. He did not specify as to way in details, just mentioned that the braided stainless still does expand, the metal lines will not.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search