where can i find this lug key? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
where can i find this lug key?
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:12 PM
ok, so the 18s ive got came on the car and with these lugs. well, the lug key decided to strip on me and its not a style that ive seen anywhere else. im sure its common enough, but ive been looking on ebay and elsewhere online and havent found one like it. ive also checked autozone/advanced/other local parts places and none have this kind either. any help would be great.

Re: where can i find this lug key?
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:02 PM
Never seen that before in all my life. I think it's time to sacrifice a socket...hammer one on there and hope it grabs. I've done this many times removing other types of lock nuts.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:42 PM
Try to use an extention like a 3/8th and see if it fits. Mine did that a long time ago and that is what I used.
No clue on where to get that key.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:57 AM
the problem is that its not just a lock nut.....that style is on 15 of my 20 lugs (yeah, rims didnt come with a complete set)

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:14 AM
thats also a new one to me too.

for people that have lost or broken keys. I usually use a reverse threaded tapered socket on an impact gun......does the job 99% of the time.

these are exactly what I use. the 1% of the time they dont work, its because the lug nut is to small.

but the reverse threads cut into it backwards, and eventually grip into the lug, and back it off. Then you have to put the lug into a vice and turn it the opposite way to remove the tool.

There is also this one that might work for you:

mac tools version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:21 AM

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:38 PM
thanks john. i may have to shell out for one of those when i get an extra few bucks. hopefully something like that would be reusable enough so i could get all lugs off.

now i just have to find someone with an impact wrench and vice.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:44 PM
well if you drive over for another pittsburgh sporting event, I would be more than happy to take care of those for you.

I have been able to use them time and time again, its when your lugs are on gorilla strength that they dont come out of the tool.

You can also pick those up at SOME parts stores for about $20.

pepboys carried them, dont know if they still do.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:38 PM
Isn't there some sort of sockets that have "pins" that push in/out to conform specifically around an odd shape to allow it to grab?? I swear I've seen something like that before, but not sure where. Maybe that would work (if it makes sense).

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:46 PM
yea,its callde the gator grip if im not mistaken.

i love them, i have 3 and use them alot and they work on practically everything.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:33 PM
yeah i was over at paul's (arrival 04) house the other day and we tried his gator grip, but since the key goes on the inside of the nut there isnt any room between the outside of the nut and the rim to fit it in there.

and theres no way ill be headed to pittsburgh any time soon, john. and i need to get these off before something happens like a flat tire on one of my trips back home for school.

thanks for the help though guys. keep it up with suggestions though. i just went to a local tire/rim shop and they said theyve never seen this kind either, but one of the mechanics said to try a 3/8" socket extension and try to torque em out. hopefully thatll work.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:45 PM
if you do the extension, make sure you have a hardened extension (or impact) as i've snapped a few 3/8" extensions trying to get a buddy's lugs off..

Thursday, October 23, 2008 7:54 AM
how much of the key is damaged??

could you cut off the end, and use the base of the key?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:07 AM
You can always drill them out, but then you'd have to replace your studs

Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:27 PM
John Benham wrote:how much of the key is damaged??

could you cut off the end, and use the base of the key?

the points directly across from the grooves have been rounded. now i would like to think that the grooves should be enough to take the nuts off, but the end of the key is the only part that goes into the nut initially and that doesnt seem to want to bite enough.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:47 PM
machine shop "could" replicate it. might cost a few $ just to get them off and to replace them with something else...

Friday, October 24, 2008 11:18 AM
I have also used what remained of the key, and filed/ground out the shape I needed.

Friday, October 24, 2008 11:28 AM
wouldn't this be in the wheel & tire section? haha. jp. but no seriously.
i was thinkin gator grip but you said it doesn't work. any progress?

Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:02 PM
If that's a pic of the key, it kind of looks like this:

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-1719xlkey2r.html

Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:58 PM
Kardain wrote:If that's a pic of the key, it kind of looks like this:

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-1719xlkey2r.html

my hero! i think that just might be it. thanks a ton man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search