Rear Wilwood brake brackets any interest? - Page 5 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear Wilwood brake brackets any interest?
Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:14 PM
Talk to me about a price and I am in.

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:27 PM
I would like a set of rear disc brakes for my J-body. Hope we can get a few more names on this!
Let me know the cost and I am ready to go for it..... I know this is a once in a life time opportunity to get this done.
Monday, October 20, 2008 9:14 AM
viper, im very interested in this. the ebrake isnt a huge deal for me do to the very limited drive time my car now sees, and having matching brakes would be a huge plus for my rice mobile. any idea of a price. and was i reading correctly that if i wanted to match the fronts it would be an extra charge for another piece in addition to the original bracket you'd be making?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, October 20, 2008 10:15 AM
Well you know I'm going to chime in on this again! I'm very interested in a set of brakets to be able to get the combo for the e-brake. If you could also PM me with what you think you could want or need to have a set made let me know when you find out. If it is more like this amount for 5-10 and 10-15 this amount and 15+ this amount I would be good with that. I just want to find out. I know Gary wants to do this, but not sure if he has the time to do it. So he might be in on this if he is pressed for time.

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:27 PM
For now I have absolutely no pricing. But it will be slightly cheaper for everyone the more that order.

What I would physically need is either -
Someone who has a front set of Wilwoods already + the parking combo caliper and their car, or -
A parking combo caliper, rotor, pad, hat, and ebrake cable.

The only flaw is that I cut my ebrake cables and modified so my daytona ebrake could work. So I wouldn't have a good way to actually test the ebrake on my own car because I wouldn't be able to hook it up (mine are NOT going to come off ). The biggest reason for this testing would be so we could find a good position for the caliper so the ebrake cable can stay as is. This may mean that the brake caliper can be anywhere in the 360 degree rotation. Something else we could do is find a "nice looking spot" for the caliper, and you guys cut your ebrake cables accordingly, and then crimp on the ends yourself. I have the ends already that I bought (bought a box of 100) when I did this to make my Daytonas work. I doubled them up - and make sure you crimp them HARD because if not the cable will slip out.

And yes sndsgood with an extra bracket/spacer you could use the non-ebrake Dynapro calipers to match your fronts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:20 AM
Do we have any Jbodies near Tempe AZ??? TCE Performance Products can make a Wilwood rear brake kit for the jbody, but he needs a car, and as Viper said it is not going to be cheap either.

Clip from my email to Todd

First I'd need to see a car to find out what we are dealing with. Maybe some
gas money to a local forum member would help you?

Next I'd need to understand what you want. Either a caliper relocation kit on X"
diameter rotor, or a full on four pot kit, or a p-brake combo caliper kit....

Relocation kit uses stock caliper on perhaps 11.75" rotor. Figure about $600.

The multi piston set up on similar size rotor, about $1000

The combo caliper on such a rotor, closer to $1300+

All pricing based on slotted or plain rotors, not drilled. And not including
colored calipers where applicable.

Lotta money for some rear brakes...
Todd

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:37 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:First I'd need to see a car to find out what we are dealing with.

Nice, zero jbody experience.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:57 PM
I would like Gary to chime, but I've not heard from him in a while. I trust he would be great for this and wouldn't charge to much for doing it since he also wants them.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:23 AM
Viper98912 wrote:
Blwn LD9 wrote:First I'd need to see a car to find out what we are dealing with.

Nice, zero jbody experience.

So what?? He has an enormous amount of experience with Wilwood products. I would hate to blow off any opportunity to get this done just because the person willing to do the work doesn't have experience with jbodies.

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:52 PM
Here's what irks me about this.

The Wilwood rear question has been going on for YEARS. The big brakes questions have been going on since I joined in 2000. So NOW, after a few years of people asking, is when a company steps up to "look at it"?

And Trey, you've said time and time again that you're waiting for Gary. Waiting for someone or some company, just like every other jbody part, isn't going to get you anywhere.

Don't take this the wrong way, but honestly the way this post is going, no one really wants these. Just like every other J-body part.

"YES! WE WANT WE WANT!"
"Ok its ready, time to pay"
::cricket cricket::

I could've had these designed and finished by this weekend, ready for quote on Monday. But you guys don't really show any serious interest, which is the first thing I asked. There's no point in spending my time on this if no one really gives a rats.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:14 PM
There is no question that we want this to be made plan and simple. Way to hit the nail on the head on that one, but we also want it to be around the same price as the rest of the kits out now. Otherwise we are just wasting our money, and it is not like we have a lot to do that with. So without a price out in the open this will never happen. Another thing is I know that we also want this to be able to be ordered later down the road. Will this company ever do this again? Cause I don't want this to be a one time thing for us. I'm game for this now, but I'm only going to get the brackets now since I have a wedding to pay for. I think the company should sell brackets only in a GP that someone runs. Let me know more info when you can. Cause I really want this to happen.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Yes, I want these and have wanted them since I bought my fronts in 2002. I think there are only ( and have ever been ) about 5-7 serious people wanting this

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:28 AM
I think Karo or Jason would like to maybe want to get in on this cause the parts got to be bought from someone. They might help with the payment of stuff to get made so long as the company will make them for them.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:47 PM
my issue is money. this is something i will end up doing in the future, this or probably swapping out to a company that makes front and rears, but im never anywhere near anyone to be a guinee pig and its hard to know whats going on if your asked to say yes i'll do it though we dont know the price, or the time frame or any of that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:50 PM
Here's what I'll do. I have some "basic" dimensions that I can use to come up with something to submit to the machine shop. I'll send it to him and ask him to quote it, bare bones. Basically, some steel, some holes, and some tapped holes. No coating or anything. Just to get an idea of where we would be starting off at.

Friday, October 24, 2008 12:04 PM
Viper98912 wrote:Here's what I'll do. I have some "basic" dimensions that I can use to come up with something to submit to the machine shop. I'll send it to him and ask him to quote it, bare bones. Basically, some steel, some holes, and some tapped holes. No coating or anything. Just to get an idea of where we would be starting off at.
Steel? Why not go with Alum? We are not talking about a huge difference in price with the amount of medal going to be used here are we? Thank you for taking the time out to send that into them. Cause I didn't understand how something that we can give them all the messurements for not having an idea. It would cut down on the R&D, and should save some money too.

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:05 PM
I chose steel because there needs to be some tapped holes that would hold better in the steel than the aluminum. especially when you guys decide to crank on these caliper bolts. Depending on the application, I prefer one over the other. While 6061 aluminum is some pretty darn good stuff, the work "brakes" just make me think regardless of whatever the specs are, to go 1018 steel. If I have some time I'll try to draw it up tonight and post a picture so you guys can see. For now I'm missing one basic dimension. These dimensions would need to be tweaked to ensure that they work when actually on the car. Also, for now I'm going to assume an arbitrary angle for caliper placement which would need to be tweaked.

The good thing about what I'm gonna come up with is that left and right sides will be identical, so that should lower the cost slightly, since you make two of the same part. Unlike the baer brackets, which were left and right sided.

Friday, October 24, 2008 6:02 PM
Steel is fine. That is what my SSBC bracket is made from

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:26 PM
I just thought of a freakin GENIUS idea.

I've already said many many times that piecing together this kit is going to be costly.

Well, after coming up with my design (looks awesome btw, but it must be a two-piece design), I came upon this reality....

WHY DON'T I USE THE ORIGINAL J-BODY FRONT KIT, SWAP OUT THE CALIPER, AND MAKE A SIMPLIER DESIGN?!

Picture this - You buy the front J-body kit, which comes with everything, mainly the pricey things that are the rotors, hats, rotor bolts, calipers, pads, and caliper brackets. Then, you sell the brand new calipers and pads on ebay, and buy the parking caliper and pads, and try to break even (you still might lose a little bit on the final transactions). Then, use a simple 1 piece bracket design that incorporates the original J-body dynapro bracket for your new parking caliper.

And voila, you've got yourself a rear wilwood brake kit with parking caliper that uses a majority of the front kit, and best yet, won't cost you the $1400 I estimate the piecing together will cost.

Thoughts on this? Because this will call for a much different design.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:34 PM
Sounds interesting to me especially the lower cost. I don't know what this involves (2 piece bracket) but you might be onto something!
Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:22 AM
So I finally had a couple hours last night and a couple hours this morning to do some drawing. These are some preliminary drawings that I'm going to send to the machine shop to have quoted. The dimensions are not final/exact, but they are pretty close. Once I get the quotes back and see if this is reasonably priced, I'll do a basic stress analysis just to be on the safe side.

The first set is a two piece system, where there's a small plate to holder the caliper bracket, and then the caliper. This would fit both 11.75" and 12.19" rotor setups.

The next set is a one piece system, utilizing the front J-body kit (and dynapro bracket). This would only fit 12.19 rotor setups, because you'd already have them from the kit.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:07 PM
looks pretty sweet. wish i could design @!#$ like this. hopefully your idea w/ the parking brake works. it doesn't seem like a good idea to not have a parking brake even if you are auto trans. tho a lot of people do it, i myself cannot as i'm a manual trans. good luck w/ the pricing and finalizations. thanks again for your support.

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:10 PM
I sent the drawings today to the machine shop to get quoted. Unfortunately the dimensions came out a little more complex than I wanted but there was no other way. Hopefully within the next few days he'll get back to me with a good quote; I told him to be as gentle as possible.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:27 AM
so now with your first design up there we could just get that piece, then just order the wilwood fronts and use those right?

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:51 AM
sndsgood wrote:so now with your first design up there we could just get that piece, then just order the wilwood fronts and use those right?

You might need longer brake lines, and we still have to do something about e-brake cables. I am not too worried about those because neither are that expensive

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search