cutting springs - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: cutting springs
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:13 PM
Whatever. Im about to cut a loop off the rear tops of my Tein S techs.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:44 AM
If you have any fillings in your teeth, make sure they are good and tight! The ride's about to get very rough.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:05 PM
ESB wrote:Whatever. Im about to cut a loop off the rear tops of my Tein S techs.

You want a cookie? I don't think anyone really cares that you are going to cut a loop off your springs and make your car unsafe. Its your stupid choice. I'd just sell and get sportlines IMO. But hey, have at 'er buddy.

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 6:41 PM
Yeah I would like a cookie.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 11:57 AM
ESB wrote:Yeah I would like a cookie.

Me too!!!

Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:25 PM
i think its a trick. i want cookies now, but there's no cookies to be had.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, November 06, 2009 6:34 AM
I was at the store the other day n saw pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips....i want one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 06, 2009 7:20 AM

Friday, November 06, 2009 7:14 AM
I want one too just because I have never seen a chocolate ship! That sounds amazing!

Friday, November 06, 2009 7:20 AM
HA FIXED lol

Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:51 PM
I took my rear springs completely out and the front was about as low as it would go, the axles bind, and i had to replace them every few months, it was horrible.. loved the way it looked slammed though.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:01 AM
Do sport-lines actually make the car handle worth a damn or are they just good for lowering the car?

I've been thinking about going with some of those adjustable Koni coil overs... but everyone says sportlines so im kinda curious...

It'll be a while either way though..

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:43 PM
cut top of rear teins s tech 1 loop. i know im going have negative comments about how its dangerous and i could kill myself blah blah. i cant afford d spec on sports,1 loop wont hurt in my opinion. took it for test drive and comfort is same (have stock shocks). sharp turns are same as any s techs on stock shocks. everyone knows s techs on rear are a bit high so know its evenly balanced now. not saying its safe, but hey, it beats using a torch to drop and bouncy cheap ebay coilovers. happy with rear drop

instagram: peru_stylez

Monday, November 23, 2009 2:24 PM
I got a question. How is it dangerous to cut your springs. I agree its not a good idea but, dangerous? How. the wheels not gonna fall off cause you cut the spring down a little. I mean if u blew the strut its gonna ride like balls but, the spring will still support the wait so u can get the car home. Its not gonna break ball joint... Im confused on that part. When i was a bit younger I cut some springs on some stock struts on a sunfire. What it will do is completely destroy our upper strut mounts. one day you jack the car up and all the ball-bearings fall out. Lol. The ride is pretty crappy but be live me i know a lot of guys with slammed trucks that ride wayyyyy worse. I road the spring for two years. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT THOUGH. But someone please tell me how its dangerous i gotta b over looking something. I got much respect for you guy just posting my story.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:23 AM
Well according to Bill Hahn Jr. the fillings in your teeth may fall out now.

IMO you should only cut the tops of the rear springs.
Stephanie now knows why its bad to cut front springs.

The various sleeve coilover setups for these cars are more dangerous than cutting a spring. stiff ass riding bouncy things.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:46 AM
Mine are cut, 1 full coil front and rear, no issues, no breaks or blown struts. Plus I dont drive like I'm on a road course everytime I go out......good stuff is coming in the future just not sure what set up yet.....

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:55 AM
My issue with the front is that some front springs will pop off the top perch after being cut.
But some spring designs may allow them to be cut and still be wound together enough to keep them from sliding off.
Marc what brand of spring did you cut? It wasn't factories was it? Id be shocked that a cut factory spring would stay on up front.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:04 AM
Believe it or not, they were the factory ones...been 7 months and about 6500 miles and no issues....Nice wheels by the way, ESB.....love the drop....Like I said...i get bored and give the 'fire the once over and nothing seems out of place..have even taken the struts back out for a close look...all seems well so far....Trust me, it ain't staying like this...I want to go lower and I'll get some better parts....

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:15 PM
We cut like two coils... bad bad idea. it dropped almost 2 in. Yea they wont stay on the perches either. We did what we had to do, but you learn from stuff like that. My boyfreinds cav is getting. AGXs and GC or maybe sportlines. I we want the lowest possible drop without air ride.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:31 PM
I was looking at air till a week ago when I started reading some threads. Whole lot of people saying the ride sucked on air....I thought abot doing 2 coils..I want the lowest drop like you and your b/f does and I'm not sure which way to go now...I would do air if I could be sure the ride was'nt terrible...i drive alot on the highway (65 mph-or more) and some in town...I love, love , love the slam...Come on folks..the ride can't be that bad.....Anyway, I may try another coil and go from there.....I'll figure something out if it pops out....

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:41 PM
Airride > backyard halfassed cut coils.

This thread is full of retarded ideas.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:07 PM
Hey !!!! It's not backard half-assed cut springs...It's in the garge half-assed cut springs ...LOL

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:29 PM
Tinkles wrote:This thread is full of retarded ideas.

Agreed. It kind of makes me scared to drive on the same roads as some of these people.

Really people, is the new cool thing to ride around with a @!#$ty handling vehicle with blown struts? Lowering a car correctly isn't that expensive, at most with a quality coilover you spend what like $1000? If you don't have the money to lower your car, then just don't do it. Look at how many other people out there drive around on a stock cavalier/sunfire suspension that handles much better than your cut springs and blown struts. Cars have dampers for a reason. Say your spring isn't damped at all and you excite it to its natural frequency. This will cause displacements and forces that the suspension was not designed to handle. If you want your car to look lower when you take pictures, then just strategically throw blocks of lead in various places. That ought to make your car sit lower to the ground. I doubt any of you know 2 shits about automotive suspension design to be modifying these key components. So if you want to continue doing this, please just don't drive your car on any roads that could potentially injure or kill other innocent people. So, answering the initial question, just don't do it unless you show me and everyone else the rigorous testing and design that is comparable to that done by GM or any other automotive manufacturer.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:50 PM
Man time still have not changed two people in Canada year back had the coils come of the perch one ran off the road and luckily did not get hurt or anyone else. Another guy here in the US had a coil come of the perch on the highway and had to be towed. This was years back. A number of website had horror stories if you look. Cutting is just a cheap cop out if you ask me. People will use any excuse to justify it.
The OEM springs are a progressive spring rate (no uniform spring rate) cutting them alters the springs and on blown struts makes it worse. Struts are used to control the rebound of the spring blown strut cannot do that. I absolutely do not recommend it but linear spring are somewhat better to cut. Their spring rate is uniform.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:20 PM
so where are the cookies?

Friday, November 27, 2009 7:47 AM
I through personal experience can say that a cut rear spring, about 1.5 coils, gives a bettter less bouncy ride than the prokit rear springs. My car feels safer than it did with the prokit. And I am running AGXs so that might have somthing to do with it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search