Hawk pads only last 20K miles? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hawk pads only last 20K miles?
Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:26 AM
Changed out my pads and rotors with Powerslot and Hawk pads at 75K miles. Well I have 95K on them now and the left front is squeeling like a stuck pig....what a racket.

How many miles are you getting out of your hawk pads?

Re: Hawk pads only last 20K miles?
Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:36 AM
20k miles isn't bad really. remember those pads aren't designed for dedicated street use. Most hawk pads last guys like...1 track day

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:40 AM
Not for street use? Weird. OK< time to order some new ones that aren't Hawks. Suggestions?
Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:16 AM
I wouldnt bitch to much about 20k on performance pads.....thats pretty good.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:29 AM
I just purchased some PowerStop pads.....we'll see how those work.
Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:33 AM
wagner edge pads are pretty good..find them at most parts stores....and have a lifetime warentee

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:41 AM
I get about 30K from a standard pad and the HPS pads I had lasted 20K. I think they held up rather well.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:34 AM
wow you guys must be rough on the brakes!! I got like 80k on a set of pads once, and over 100k on the rotors with two resurface jobs. The hawk HPS pads on my old car are still going with well over 20k on them...

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:42 AM
i get about 25K on my hawk pads. and i beat the hell out of my car. i have used 2 sets so far since having the car and just ordered my new hawk cryo rotors and hawk pads. CANT WAIT. and they were about the same price as what i paid for my first set of normal rotors and pads when i first bought them.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:56 AM
i had about 12k on mine before the wilwoods came along, and i must say they were not even 1/4 worn.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:07 AM
oldskool wrote:wow you guys must be rough on the brakes!! I got like 80k on a set of pads once, and over 100k on the rotors with two resurface jobs. The hawk HPS pads on my old car are still going with well over 20k on them...

Around where I live 30K is about average for a J car front pads. I used to do a lot when I was at the dealer and most customers would think something was wrong with their car. I would explain that I have 2 Cavaliers and they both go through front pads at the same rate. Mind you most of my driving is city with a lot of it stop and go. When I can replace pads and rotors for less than $60 im not going to complain about it on my DD (well now its a 3 season DD).

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:43 AM
If you have slotted rotors, it will cut the life of the pad.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:32 AM
The life of the pads is determined a lot by the volume of stop/type of traffic you drive. I city driving(or around retirees) you on the brakes allot more often than in rural areas. Braking hard or aggressive driving wears them faster also.

I read this and was thinking it takes about two years to use up a set of pads, which is about 24k-28k miles, so that really isn't all that bad. I drive a mix of city and rural driving, which puts me in the middle range, so I'm doing about right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search