Neon disc swap how to - Page 23 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:50 PM
ok guys, ive read this thread 2 or 3 times, and I have a quick question.........

havent noticed anyone with air ride do this. by doing the rear disc conversion and using the washers/spacers, does it puch the rear wheel out much?

id like to do the conversion, just worried the rim might sit out a bit further making my rim/tires rub.

any input?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:16 PM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:ok guys, ive read this thread 2 or 3 times, and I have a quick question.........

havent noticed anyone with air ride do this. by doing the rear disc conversion and using the washers/spacers, does it puch the rear wheel out much?

id like to do the conversion, just worried the rim might sit out a bit further making my rim/tires rub.

any input?

were talking 2mm for the shims, not much at all. the caliper backing plate is another 4-5mm compared to the OEM stuff, so were looking at a total of 6-7mm, but as always check for clearance. I would check to see what you have now before you do anything.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:20 PM
i would say im close to that 6-7mm away(off the top of my head)

i guess ill have to get an accurate measurment of the distance i have to work with

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:07 PM
I know you have done allot of work to the car, is the inner lip of the rear fender "rolled in"? if not that may be all the room you need.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:23 PM
ya, it is rolled, but im sure i could get a little more out of it if i try.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:06 PM
SweetnessGT wrote: CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE POST BY VIPER... he mixed the part #'s up

after talking with someone, it looks like YES, brembo 27206 might not only be a thicker rotor that is 5x100, but is 1.5 mm SHALLOWER than the 27207 "neon" rotor. Meaning, that not only do you have a thicker rotor to absorb more heat and look nicer, but might also solve the rubbing issues where everyone needs to put a set of washers to space out the rotors from the hub. now, i THINK that this rotor is 57.1mm, and has the same exact internal brake drum setup, but i'm not 100% sure. Someone should REALLY try this out.

27207 is approx 0.35" thick, while the 27206 is 0.47" thick. You can also gain by having a 1.5mm shallower rotor and maybe not needing washers or a spacer anymore! Can be found on buybrakes.com for whoever wants to venture out If this is successful, score another point for me since July 07. I wouldve done this myself, but I went with a 11.25 vented setup *cough*

-Chris-

I'll put 27206 on my parts list for the spring.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:32 PM
Just so you guys know about that 27206 rotor...

After a lot of research the rotors dimension are perfect for a J-body. 5x100, 57,1mm hub spacing, 0.47" rotor thickness, and a bit less backspacing than your neon rotor you've been using. I'll be using it on a non-neon rear swap for myself but I hope one of you guys can pick a set up and give it a try.. seems to be a better option for you all.

Good luck!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:06 PM
I remember that somone has had these stress tested. Does any one know who?

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, February 11, 2008 1:01 PM
Yeah, that would be me....I've done several tests on the many I've machined myself.
Monday, February 18, 2008 5:55 AM
Do you know how much it cost, or where to have it done?

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, February 18, 2008 9:05 AM
oh FYI everybody:

Ebrake still works great Super happy

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:45 PM
I read this whole thread and Joshua Dearman had some machined brackets for sale at one time. Just wondering if they were still available(and what all comes with it) and what the cost would be shipped to 37620.

I have an 87 Z24 and didn't see any info on these but I guess its the same as the others.

Also so I have everything right in my head all I need is:

machined brackets
do some grinding on my axle for ebrake cable housing clearance
use the 27206 rotors so I don't need spacers
use Neon calipers and pads from the parts store
my ebrake cable should work fine
my stock 14" wheels should work fine
need to use adapters on the factory brake lines so they will connect to calipers.(no need for those 2psi valves?)
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:53 AM
Great post guys. I just bought a set for my 94 grand am which have the same rear setup as the old Cavi's so hopefully it all works out.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:44 PM
Troy Rose wrote:I read this whole thread and Joshua Dearman had some machined brackets for sale at one time. Just wondering if they were still available(and what all comes with it) and what the cost would be shipped to 37620.

I have an 87 Z24 and didn't see any info on these but I guess its the same as the others.

Also so I have everything right in my head all I need is:

machined brackets
do some grinding on my axle for ebrake cable housing clearance
use the 27206 rotors so I don't need spacers
use Neon calipers and pads from the parts store
my ebrake cable should work fine
my stock 14" wheels should work fine
need to use adapters on the factory brake lines so they will connect to calipers.(no need for those 2psi valves?)

It will work fine for your car. You don't need to grind the axle, and I'm not sure about your ebrake cable. Its different from the 3rd gen cable, and I'm pretty sure its different from mine (94). That would be something you need to try and see if it works or not. You don't need residual pressure valves.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:31 PM
hey guys is $100 a good deal for the rear disc brake set up from i think a 97 neon im thinkin of doin this on my 95 cav iv read pritty much this hole thread sofar lmk

Thanks
Matt

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:03 PM
nope. i got brackets, calipers, hardware, and pads for $45. most people on here have been able to keep it between 30-60, with around 50 being the average.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:17 PM
yeahh, even with new rotors, pads and calipers I was still only at about $120, and you would still need to have the brackets machined. you can do better if you pull your own stuff at a yard.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:32 PM
ok thanks im tryin to get the guy to lower the price rapidly now lol Thanks guys

Matt

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:54 PM
I think I paid $150 for just about the entire rear suspension off the Neon, plus a bunch of stuff from a Bonneville, so yeah, $50-60 sounds right.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:57 PM
well i got him down to 75 and thats the lowest he will go with it so now i am just watin for pics to see what all it comes with
and then ill go from there

Friday, April 04, 2008 5:28 AM
hey guys iv got the brakes now now i just need to get the dementions for the holes ill get a
shop to drill the holes i can get that done for free .... all the stuff i got is almost brand new
just has a lil bit of surface rust cuz they were sittin in the guys basment .... now i need to get
all of the other stuff then i can start on them

Sunday, April 06, 2008 11:12 AM
can i put the washer behind the hub instead of on the studs?

Monday, April 07, 2008 7:42 AM
I wouldn't recommend it from a safety standpoint. If you want to go that route, have a spacer plate made and use that.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:12 AM
Anyone have pictures of the front and rear lines installed?

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:27 PM
I have read through almost all of this, watched the video, etc, I have one question. Is is possible to grab the rotor and bearings from an intrepid or something simular to get the 5x115... I want to match the front bolt pattern.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search