Rear Wilwood brake brackets any interest? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Wilwood brake brackets any interest?
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:04 PM
This is an interest only thread.

Ok since ive been getting quite a few people asking me about my rear brakes and making brackets. Would there be any interest in getting a few people together for a small run of these? I have one definite order already so this is going to happen either way. Its just a matter of the more people the cheaper I can make these. The price as of now is $250 for a set of stainless brackets that will bolt on the wilwood fronts onto the rear. If we can get enough people together there is a possibility of getting these 100% machined instead of welded together.

The numbers im lookin at now is 5 people = $200 per set welded 10 people = $200 per set fully machined or like $180 welded

Anyone interested can contact me at Atomicmotorsports@yahoo.com

- 97 Z24 Racecar work in progress
- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member

Re: Rear Wilwood brake brackets any interest?
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:08 PM
I am seriously down for this. I am not the type to back out on stuff either so count me in.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:28 PM
Im in I always wanted a wilwood rear setup

Click Sig for Jersey GM's Official Website

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:57 PM
I'm in...I've already emailed you about this.

The bracket is for use with front kit and does not have e-brake. Now, I sent you an email about this......what about the possibility of adding to your bracket to mount Wilwood's Mechanical Spot Caliper to be used with the e-brake. Basically, this setup would have two calipers: DynaPro which comes with the kit and the smaller Spot caliper for the e-brake. How many would be interested in this?
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:04 PM
yeah, I'd want an e-brake for sure.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:19 PM
FlipSpeed wrote:I'm in...I've already emailed you about this.

The bracket is for use with front kit and does not have e-brake. Now, I sent you an email about this......what about the possibility of adding to your bracket to mount Wilwood's Mechanical Spot Caliper to be used with the e-brake. Basically, this setup would have two calipers: DynaPro which comes with the kit and the smaller Spot caliper for the e-brake. How many would be interested in this?

e-brake is a must for us manuals

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:22 PM
It would be more practical for street cars with a e-brake caliper. The only problem is i dont have them for mock up. I only have the front kits that are on my car. I would need someone to front me the calipers and rotors to mock up with. I dont have the $ to invest in all these parts right now.

- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:40 PM
PM sent
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:34 PM
Wilwood makes a ebrake caliper that will fit the bracket and will fit the 12.19" rotor that is used in the front kit.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:36 PM
Also, it will fit a 11.75" rotor if one does not want the same size as the front, the caliper has fitment all the way up to a 13" rotor.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:58 PM
Ok so i did some research and it looks like the combination parking brake caliper is our best bet. I will be contacting wilwood tomorrow and see what there input is on the situation. All pricing for the calipers will be the same since there isn't much variation between the 2 calipers.

The parking brake calipers run about $160 each. It can be used with as small as an 11" .810 thick rotor. which would be the most practical for our applications.

Ill get back with everyone with a definite answer for everyone tomorrow so we can get this going.

- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:14 PM
Forgot to add the link for the caliper. Lots of good info on there for everyone.

Combination Parking Brake Caliper

- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:09 PM
Good deal because I do not want to loose my e-brake. Since my car is a 5spd I always use it when I park.

This setup should fit both the front and rear with 17's right?

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:39 AM
Yes

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:40 AM
Atomic wrote:Forgot to add the link for the caliper. Lots of good info on there for everyone.

Combination Parking Brake Caliper

PERFECT!!!!!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:21 PM
Which rotors would I use on the rear? Link please and thanks.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:31 PM
I am interested too.

Quote:

Which rotors would I use on the rear? Link please and thanks.

I am curious about that too. I was looking @ Fiero rotors, but I don't think I can get those in 11" diameter

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:05 PM
The bracket he is using is the same as the front, so, you would use the 12.19 Wilwood rotor, or similar if you do enough homework, .810 thickness, proper spacing, etc...

As far as the ebrake caliper goes, it all depends what size rotor u want to use and how u modify the bracket/caliper combo to work with the rotor you choose (IMO). I am sure there will be a few size selections available.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:36 PM
Ok so I just got off the phone with the wilwood tech guy. He said the parking brake calipers i have linked above are the way to go. Those rears combined with there front kit on our cars would be the ultimate brake combo. With our weight and power ratio any more would be overkill.

So what i was thinking is this. Instead of selling the brackets and letting everyone piece together there own kits-hats, rotors, calipers, bolts ect. I could put together a kit of my own. Saving everyone the trouble of hat offsets and rotor ring diameters and bolt patterns. Now i wouldn't mark up any cost on the parts. Basically resell them at a group buy cost. Im going to contact a few distributors and see what they can do for us buying in bulk.

What would be included in the kits.

11.75" rotors .81 thick
Front hats same style as the front kit with required offset
Rotor bolt kit
Parking brake caliper
Caliper mounting bracket
Caliper mounting hardware

The # im trying to shoot for is 8 people. Im going to get back to everyone as soon as possible with a final price. Hopefully by tomorrow night. Im trying to keep these kits about the same price as the fronts, about $950. Id like to get them a little cheaper if at all possible. The more people the lower the cost so the more people we can get together the better the price will look.

- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:57 PM
I want to let you guys know that summit currently sells that caliper for $240. Each.

I've done a lot of research in the past regarding pricing wilwood's stuff, and at face value from wilwood's price list, this setup will cost about $1400 in parts to piece together. The drilled rotors, hats, and calipers are your most expensive pieces. Plus the plates you're making.

I once wanted to do this for the JBO also, and got no where due to the expensive piece-by-piece pricing. I've always wanted to do a rear 11.75" to match the front 12.19", like you're planning (except I was gonna use the powerlite caliper to match the front dynapro).

I wish you guys the best of luck in getting some good prices through a distributor. You might want to ask Karo if he can get any good prices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:47 AM
A little more than I wanted to spend, but I am still interested.

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:48 AM
although i dont have the money i really need this conversion. i hate the drums on the back and i want to match my fronts i have so i'll be listening in and see what comes about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:56 AM
Cheapest I found rotors was $125 ea. Hats $135 ea. Haven't checked on Calipers yet but if Summit has them for $240 ea. that's $1000 without any kind of brackets.

If I have to take time out of my work schedule to make brackets @ $55 an hour x approx. 4-6hrs. ($220-330). Ya I'd pay $950 for a set.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:21 AM
I really would like just some plan GM fronts modified to fit the rear.
Just OEM fronts converted to fit the rear.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:01 PM
I don't have to have a 2pc rear rotor

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search