Lets see/hear about your baer setups! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lets see/hear about your baer setups!
Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:06 PM
ok guys i recently purchased the baer front and rear kits USED. deal is i have to trade stock stuff for the baers and do all the work. when i go do the swap i'd like to have a good knowledge of exactly whats entailed and i can pretty much do that with pictures. but.. if you'd like to describe anything you think i should know it would be much appreciated.

i really would love to get any and all pics of your baer kits. would extremely appreciate closeups of the knuckle set-up in front as well as the line setup on all four corners.

also, i noticed absolutely no mention of either kit on baer's website nor does rk sport ( the place these were purchased at originally) have them listed for sale any longer...

can replacement rotors and pads be purchased still? i read something about you could get the pads but that u had to machine down some to get them to fit? any truth to that?

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.

Re: Lets see/hear about your baer setups!
Friday, April 24, 2009 6:37 AM
The kits are still on Baer's site. I still have the front and rear kits sitting in my closet waiting on new wheels. If I remember correctly you can use pads for certain year Corvettes.

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:17 AM
Yeah, the kits use stock pad sizes for other cars. No issues there.

Full instructions for the rear kit are here: http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/J-Body/BaerRear.aspx

Friday, April 24, 2009 10:19 AM
Here are a few pics of the knuckle...

Friday, April 24, 2009 11:08 AM
omg thanks a TON weasel and isaak those pics helped a lot.

i just dont know why baer needs to use an entirely new knuckle? to me it just looks like a steel adapter bracket bolted on a stock knuckle and done. maybe im missing something though?

i dont know if i want to use that long ass steel braided line in the rear though... looks kind of tacky if you ask me... i might just bend my own new hard line and use the stock bracket etc so it cleans up the install.

i do have that small rubber hose in steel braided already so were good there. seems kinda lame baer went from steel braided to rubber to hard line. shoulda just replaced that whole freaking section IMO.

but at least now i know i did the right thing in taking off my hard lines other wise the guy im trading with woulda had to find some.

any pics of the front setup weasel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, April 24, 2009 11:14 AM

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:36 PM
The front knuckles are machined to remove the ears that hold the stock pads in place and to provide the flat surface for the new bracket to attach.

For the front, I've got some pics from the day we installed them, but no instructions.

http://www.wildweasel.ca/images/cars/wm3/09272003FrontBrakeInstall/

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:45 PM
basically just swap the entire front spindle from car to car on the fronts, the back is basically removing the drums and unbolting the bearing, swap out the backing plate for the caliper bracket and then its just reassembly. Seriously.... big brakes are stupid simple, as long as the lines cooperate its very simple, there only a handful of pieces making up the kit.

Friday, April 24, 2009 2:43 PM
i'd love to post pics of mine on the car but they haven't made it there yet... still need spacers and and tires for my new wheels.

Friday, April 24, 2009 7:42 PM
strat81 wrote:i'd love to post pics of mine on the car but they haven't made it there yet... still need spacers and and tires for my new wheels.

Get with it Spence and stop teasing man, that's a fail.
Good luck Brad, they should be sweet on the car once their on.
Btw, I'm almost done with the Neon rear swap. NWF for the front coming soon.
Pics for the win Brad.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:07 PM
ah yes... the 'ear' for the stock pads... correct. missed that LOL.

doesnt wilwood just call for you to chop that off and go for use with their kit?

and ryan- already got all my stock stuff off a few days ago. no broken lines or messed up fittings... i got lucky.

heading out in a few hours to go get em! at least now i have a very good idea on how things go together and exactly what i need to get. thanks for everyone's help.

and james- im gonna take tons of pics.

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:25 PM
z yaaaa wrote:omg thanks a TON weasel and isaak those pics helped a lot.

i just dont know why baer needs to use an entirely new knuckle? to me it just looks like a steel adapter bracket bolted on a stock knuckle and done. maybe im missing something though?

i dont know if i want to use that long ass steel braided line in the rear though... looks kind of tacky if you ask me... i might just bend my own new hard line and use the stock bracket etc so it cleans up the install.

i do have that small rubber hose in steel braided already so were good there. seems kinda lame baer went from steel braided to rubber to hard line. shoulda just replaced that whole freaking section IMO.

but at least now i know i did the right thing in taking off my hard lines other wise the guy im trading with woulda had to find some.

any pics of the front setup weasel?

Its not a new knuckle, its a stock knuckle but modified like Weasel mentioned, the ears are cut off and actual machined for the bracket. Any machine shop can duplicate this setup, I know because I had it done. Its a pretty simple setup.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:18 PM
Can't wait for the pics man.
I know you're excited in getting these, kind of like a little kid getting free candy.
Have a safe trip.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:44 PM
z yaaaa wrote:i just dont know why baer needs to use an entirely new knuckle? to me it just looks like a steel adapter bracket bolted on a stock knuckle and done. maybe im missing something though?

It looks like I ran into this thread after the fact, but if you haven't gone to get the Baers yet, Darkstars has the idea. Since the guy already has them on a car, the fronts are real easy: just swap out the entire knuckle/caliper/hub/rotor setup from his car and install the stock parts. He has already modified his spindle, and going back to stock will require the unmodified spindle anyway, so your swap will have all of the hard work done.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 11:41 PM
ok guys. back and i got everything i needed....

idk, pretty worn and nasty parts though gonna need a total overhaul before they see my car.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:34 AM
One other things just came to mind. When I did my Wilwoods I think the biggest pain was the lines that come with the kit. I quadruple checked the clearance on the lines when turning lock to lock. With the way the lines attached to the new caliper the lines didn't route the same. I tried looping the line and it was uncomfortably close to the axle at certain sterring angles. I ended up notching out the plastic side covers by the engine so when you turned the wheels the slack in the line would route itself into the slot not bunch up and rub on the tire, wheel, axle, whatever. Just something to watch for, put it on the ground and turn lock to lock and make sure its not gonna rub.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:46 AM
z yaaaa wrote:ok guys. back and i got everything i needed....

idk, pretty worn and nasty parts though gonna need a total overhaul before they see my car.

Post up some pics. Give us a little before and after show.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:17 PM
its ok, you can clean them up to look good again in no time! lets see your new set up!!

Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:46 PM
im thinking about getting some eradispeed rotors for both kits. but dear GOD it'd be like a grand in just rotors lol maybe ill buy em one at a time. also looking into some baer tie-rod ends. saw em on the website, just need to check and see if they will work on a j-body or not.

thats what you have, right weasel? at least i thought i saw em on your front setup...

Monday, April 27, 2009 6:58 AM
Yeah, I've got 2-piece rotors all around. They're very pretty.

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:57 AM
front 2-piece eradispeeds are $595 for both and $495 for both rears.

tie rods wont work.

and weasel- please tell me the stock ebrake cables work? because i heard something somewhere the baers had they're own cables. i didnt get em

Monday, April 27, 2009 11:48 AM
The Baer kit comes with its own cable ends. The cable from the handle back is stock.

If I recall correctly, the stock cable ends have a knob on them, similar to those on bicycle brakes. The Baer ends have loops on them. Not compatible, but they shouldn't be expensive to get replacements.

Monday, April 27, 2009 12:12 PM
How thick are the Baer rotors??? Just looking for a comparison between Baer's and Wilwood's.

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Monday, April 27, 2009 2:17 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:The Baer kit comes with its own cable ends. The cable from the handle back is stock.

If I recall correctly, the stock cable ends have a knob on them, similar to those on bicycle brakes. The Baer ends have loops on them. Not compatible, but they shouldn't be expensive to get replacements.

Mine have the loop, but I have yet tried to hook up my rears, I will figure it out when I get there.... and let you know if they work or not. I know Lenko used his stockers for a short while then moved to the Baer setup. I emailed Baer about what cable they used, I got no answer... I know the Vette/Camaro ones are shorter..... hmm.

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:16 PM
well wtf?? my car has the 'loops' and they look identical to the ones on the car i took the rear baers off of... that why i didnt take em. CRAP. i knew i should just ganked the entire ebrake system out.

when i called bear to ask about it they said i needed to give them the specific part number of my kit to see about the ebrake difference or whatever... and of course i didnt have it so i was up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:52 AM
They may well be a different length from the end of the sleeve to the loop, which would be an issue.

I honestly just don't know though. I just know the Baer kit came with new ones.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search