steering or suspension issue - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
steering or suspension issue
Tuesday, June 02, 2009 5:02 PM
ok i'm having and issue in my front end i will list the the mods and whats been done
-bad tie rod replaced (aligned)
-new tires installed before the car was aligned aswell
car drive straight as an arrow untill i give it very little gas say cruising at 1800 its straight with next to no pressing of the gas pedal just minimum to maintain speed then if i press it just enough to say hit 2000rpm it will dart to the lefti grab the steering wheel then the entire time i'm pressing the gas pedal the wheel is off then i release it goes back straight. this happens no matter what RPM it is and its NOT TORQUE STEER
A- it didn't do it before
B- how can a car launch tahat much at 5% throttle and 200rpm
what we did today was inspected the following
caster alignment (in spec)
toe alignment (bang on same specs as 2 weeks ago when it was align'd)
camber (In spec)
control arm bushings (urethane intact and seated properly)
struts (Stock with pro kit not leaking and in perfect working order)
tie rods and ball joints are all good
just out of curiousity the installed camber adjusting bolts into the upper strut bolt hols and got my camber bang on spec that didn't change anything

IF ANYONE HAS IDEAS OF WHAT IT CAN BE LET ME KNOW
basicly to sum it up its symtomes are comparable to if you were driving down an open road and it was very windy and entered a tree'd area and then you left those trees

thats what the car does city and hwy driving with very little gas

JBO since July 30, 2001

Re: steering or suspension issue
Tuesday, June 02, 2009 5:18 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:struts (Stock with pro kit not leaking and in perfect working order)

Might be part of the issue. The stock struts are not valved for those springs, and things might be making it play around a bit.

If the car is leaning one way or another when you hit the gas that might make it do what you are discribing. I would guess that the tranny for your 3x00 swap might be a bit heavier, causing some concern. The weight on the front end might not be distributed as is should be stock. It sounds to me like the left axle is spinning a bit faster then the right. The left axle is shorter, then the right one. Maybe this is just "how things are" with your car. I have had my car aligned 4-5 times, and all the machines and readouts say it is 100% to spec, but it still pulls left a bit sometimes...

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:08 PM
that could be it just seems like something is loose but we have tried everyhting i can think of

what i might do is rotate the tires see if its something in the tires for what it takes to do that its worth a shot

open to any sugestions that anyone might have

the tranny i used is a 2000 2200 getrag so i doubt its a trans thing could be the smaller shaft thing tho might look into making a jack shaft

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:32 PM
have you tried letting the air out of your driver side front tire?

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:16 AM
Any vibrations while cruising? Have you checked your CV joints and bearings?

While everything that Evofire says makes sense, except for the fact that you said it didn't do this before. Something has changed, so it's not just how your car is.
Also, because your car is pulling to the left, the difference in axel length would definitely not be the problem. Your left is turning slower if you're pulling left, and the longer shaft is not going to spin faster due to this difference. If anything, this would cause you to pull right.

I would be looking for issues on your left side, but anything you find, it's never hurts to replace both sides for consistency.

I'd also check your calipers and slides. Sometimes a problem with a caliper that could cause odd problems like that.

Also, check your strut mounts. You mentioned that you checked the struts, but a wearing mount on the left would mean that it could be shifting more than the right when accelerating.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:33 PM
no vibratiosn at all and the calipers only have 12 000km on them there brand new

see i lowered my car and was waiting to get new struts but then i saw my tires were worn bad so i went to get an alignment they said i need a right side tie rod so i fixed that

i was gonna get AGxs for it but gonna wait till the winter since i will be doin the NWF swap and don't wanna pay for 3 alignments in 1 year

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:33 PM
wierder things have happened so i thought hey lets rotate the tires see if anything changes fronts crossed over to the rears and rears came straight forward

nothing but while i was testing it out i was turning the wheel fast side to side and i thing tomorrow i will check my power steering pump only thing is its a dink to get to with this motor so it will take a little time but gonna check that something seems wierd

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, June 05, 2009 9:10 AM
How about your strut mounts?

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:59 AM
Hello long dead thread!

I am having this exact same problem did this ever get resolved?

My set up is N body control arms,n body CVs, n body knuckle and n body hubs. The CVs, tie rod ends, ball joints and hubs are all new. I am sitting on stock springs with AGXs on all four with new mounts up front. I also have Eibach sway bars.

I just had it aligned including shimming the rear, the car drove excellent for a few weeks after the alignment now it pulls to the left hard at freeway speeds. When coasting or braking it tracks strait.

I double checked every bolt and they are all tight, I am at my wits end any help would be appreciated.

-I drive my car to work-
Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:53 AM
Ok so I read that the control arm needs to be torqued after the car is on the ground so ya took care of that. The problem seems to be fixed. Would lock tite be a good idea for the two front control arm bolts?

-I drive my car to work-
Sunday, March 04, 2012 5:45 PM
I've never put locktite on them in the past. Just tqing them on the ground and all was well.

Monday, March 05, 2012 6:26 PM
Check your rear swing arm bushings and the rear strut lower bushings.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Monday, March 05, 2012 7:07 PM
I have the Jeffe trailing arm bushings and the KYB rear shocks are new. I will steer away from locktite unless it starts driving weird again.

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, March 09, 2012 8:03 AM
Ok the car is doing it again. The control arm bolts are all tight, I can't think of anything else to check.

Has anyone had this problem and figured out what the cause was? Any help would be appreciated.

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, March 09, 2012 2:48 PM
Ok so I jacked up the car and removed the front CA bolts and this is what I found. I am using the RK Sport poly bushings. I don't have the old bushings to reference but it seems like the bushing bolt hole is to big. You can see where the washer was moving on the subframe. Both sides had the same issue.

Has anyone else had this issue?

This is the bolt that I removed, I am 99% sure it is the correct one but if not tell me!

-I drive my car to work-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search