Broken Bleeder screw - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Broken Bleeder screw
Friday, July 31, 2009 5:49 PM
I replaced a brake line tonight and when I tried to open the bleeder valve it snapped off, there is no way to get it out, I tried a screw extractor bit but the damn thing broke off in it. so now there is no way to bleed the rear brakes except from the rear passenger side but I think that that valve might be in just as bad shape. I just redid the front brakes and put on 04 calibers (its a 1998) and they can be bled easily, so can I get all of the air out of the system by just bleeding the front brakes.

Also I tried to take the rear drum assembly off, so I could put on my 04 brakes on it but the bolts on the rear just spin and they won't come out, Do I need to take the drum off to get at these bolts from the inside, and if I do how do I get the drum off it seems like it is welded on. Help on this would be great considering I need the car for tomorrow

Re: Broken Bleeder screw
Friday, July 31, 2009 5:59 PM
You can not get all the air out of the system by just bleeding the front brakes unless you only changed the fronts. If you havent done anything to the rear except snap off the bleeder then you are still ok. Just bleed the fronts.

To fix the rear brakes tho you will need to replace the rear wheel cylinder, and then bleed the rear brakes. I dont know why you are trying to change the whole drum assembly, only the wheel cylinder is screwed if you snapped of the bleeder. The two bolts on either side of the bleeder hold the wheel cylinder onto the backing plate. You will also have to remove the brake shoes to get at it,

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:26 PM
I was trying to take the whole drum assembly off because I figured might as well upgrade while its broken, but If its only the wheel cylinder that is screwed then that's better but any ideas on how to get the drum off. Also will an 04 wheel cylinder fit a 1998
Friday, July 31, 2009 6:26 PM
by the way they are both sunfires
Friday, July 31, 2009 7:45 PM
Depends, some of the newer cars have larger drums. If the drums are the same size then everything is interchangable, if not then you have to swap out the backing plate, pads, drum etc I think even the wheel cylinders are diffrent between the two.
Getting the drums off is easy, they just pull off. Sometimes they hang up on the brakes a little and you have to walk it off by pulling one side then the other until its free but I've never really had issues with them.

Friday, July 31, 2009 8:09 PM
Stop touching the tools and take it to someone that knows what they're doing. Yeah I know you learn from doing but you haven't got a clue.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, August 01, 2009 4:41 AM
Actually I do know what I am doing I have been doing this kind of work for years now, yes I am new to sunfires and cavaliers but I did rebuild a sidekick basically everything on that truck has been rebuilt, or replaced, by myself.
Friday, October 08, 2010 7:46 PM
Once the wheel is off, it's just a matter of pulling the drum off, probably after a hell of a lot of bashing with a big hammer, work around the edge of the face of it, and just plan on replacing the shoes too, cause sometimes the pad material can separate from the metal, with all the hammering (depends what shoes you have...)
Friday, October 08, 2010 8:40 PM
he probly would've liked to know that.

last year.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:15 PM
Wow, not sure how I found that post...... I don't normally scroll more than a page or two back, >.> Opps
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search