EBCM - ABS Module - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EBCM - ABS Module
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:46 PM
I had the abs light on, and then my brake and traction control lights would turn on intermittently. I took my car (2002 Sunfire 2200 OHV) to be diagnosed at the dealership and they told me the ebcm doesn't work. I was told the part would be $1000, plus labor it would come out to be around $1,100. I just want to know if this part can be ordered (online or at a store) for less. If you have a part number, that would help me out. I tried navigating gmpartsdirect, but I couldn't figure it out. I did a quick search on here, but I couldn't find the information I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: EBCM - ABS Module
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:16 PM
Here's some info from JustAnswer.com.

Quote:

• Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) - The EBCM controls the system functions and detects failures.
The EBCM contains the following components:
- System Relay - The system relay is energized when the ignition is ON and no ABS DTCs are present. It supplies battery positive voltage to the solenoid valves and pump motor.
- Vent Tube - The vent tube, located in the EBCM connector, is an opening to the internal cavity of the EBCM. It allows ventilation of the EBCM internals.
• Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) - The BPMV contains the hydraulic valves and pump motor
that are controlled electrically by the EBCM. The BPMV uses a 4 circuit configuration with a diagonal split. The BPMV directs fluid from the reservoir of the master cylinder to the left front and right rear wheels and fluid from the other reservoir to the right front and left rear wheels. The diagonal circuits are hydraulically isolated so that a leak or malfunction in one circuit will allow continued braking ability on the other.
The BPMV contains the following components:
- Pump Motor
- Inlet Valves (one per wheel)
- Outlet Valves (one per wheel)
• Wheel Speed Sensors (WSS) - As the wheel spins, the wheel speed sensor produces an AC signal. The EBCM uses this AC signal to calculate wheel speed. The wheel speed sensors are replaceable only as part of the wheel hub and bearing assemblies.
• Traction Control Switch (w/NW7) - The TCS is manually disabled or enabled using the traction control switch.
• Stoplamp Switch - The EBCM uses the stoplamp switch as an indication that the brake pedal is applied.

The EBCM performs 1 initialization test each ignition cycle. The initialization of the EBCM occurs when 1 set of the following conditions occur:

Both of the following conditions occur:

• The EBCM detects that there is a minimum of 500 RPM from the PCM via a serial data message.
• The stop lamp switch is not applied.

OR

Both of the following conditions occur:

• The vehicle speed is greater than 16 km/h (10 mph).
• The stop lamp switch is applied.

The initialization sequence may also be commanded with a scan tool.

The initialization sequence cycles each solenoid valve and the pump motor, as well as the necessary relays, for approximately 1.5 seconds to check component operation. The EBCM sets a DTC if any error is detected. The initialization sequence may be heard and felt while it is taking place, and is considered part of normal system operation.

The EBCM defines a drive cycle as the completion of the initialization sequence.
When wheel slip is detected during a brake application, the ABS enters antilock mode. During antilock braking, hydraulic pressure in the individual wheel circuits is controlled to prevent any wheel from slipping. A separate hydraulic line and specific solenoid valves are provided for each wheel. The ABS can decrease, hold, or increase hydraulic pressure to each wheel brake. The ABS cannot, however, increase hydraulic pressure above the amount which is transmitted by the master cylinder during braking.

During antilock braking, a series of rapid pulsations is felt in the brake pedal. These pulsations are caused by the rapid changes in position of the individual solenoid valves as the EBCM responds to wheel speed sensor inputs and attempts to prevent wheel slip. These pedal pulsations are present only during antilock braking and stop when normal braking is resumed or when the vehicle comes to a stop. A ticking or popping noise may also be heard as the solenoid valves cycle rapidly. During antilock braking on dry pavement, intermittent chirping noises may be heard as the tires approach slipping. These noises and pedal pulsations are considered normal during antilock operation.

Vehicles equipped with ABS may be stopped by applying normal force to the brake pedal. Brake pedal operation during normal braking is no different than that of previous non-ABS systems. Maintaining a constant force on the brake pedal provides the shortest stopping distance while maintaining vehicle stability.

By removing the fuse for the ABS system you can disable the EBCM. The EBCM won't be able to tell the instrument cluster module to turn the trac light on and you have disabled the ABS system along with the traction control system. You are also creating U codes because the EBCM isn't able to communicate on the network with the other modules in the vehicle. Usually when the check engine light comes on along with the trac light there is a powertrain problem and the PCM tells the EBCM to disable traction control for safety reasons. If there was a wheel speed sensor issue, the ABS light would have been illuminated along with the trac off light.

You need to find out what trouble code is being stored in the PCM.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Re: EBCM - ABS Module
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:21 PM
I thought I'd throw this in there since I'd seen alot of this on a Google Search.

Quote:

Have the car scanned for the codes and go from there.
Most likely it's going to be a bad wheel speed sensor that has gone bad.

Getting the exact code would do wonders in breaking it down to a more specific area of the ebcm.
Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search