Engine Cradle - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Cradle
Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:35 PM
So i got started on my new j body project today, a 96 chevy cavalier convertible to discover that my engine cradle is cracked. It is a 2.4L automatic. How long should it take for me to replace the cradle and has anyone ever fabricated one or should i just go to the junkyard and get one?

thanks
mike

Re: Engine Cradle
Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:22 PM
Its not as bad as it looks.

-Seperate the lower ball joints
-remove the lower engine mount and "ski" thats on the drivers side
-remove the rack and pinion bolts and pry it up a bit
-remover the bolts holding the subframe to the body

Once its out remove the swaybar and the control arms, great time to replace them with poly bushings if you havent already. FYI the MOOG sway bar parts from Oreilly are poly, the blue ones.
Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:30 PM
does anyone know if a 2.2l automatic cradle from a 97 will fit my 96 2.4l car?
Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:47 PM
IIRC all the cradles are the same except the 2.2 cradles have hooks in the middle to carry the exhaust pipe. Someone correct me when im wrong.
Monday, November 23, 2009 1:04 PM
ok well hopefully those hooks dont cause a problem. also it shouldnt matter what type of tranny was in the car because i found a cradle for a stick car that is cheaper and in much better condition.
Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:17 PM
All have the hooks, even my 98 with a 2.4 03+ had an aluminum subframe, probably lighter.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:41 PM
^^ um, no, 03 up did NOT have aluminum sub-frames....

any cradle will work in in your 97, 03 up wont work for you tho because its a 2.2

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:42 AM
ok well right now i found a cradle out of a 99 z24 and its in great shape and cheap (never thought i would here those words in the same sentence). so in reality all i would have to do is swap mounts and i should be okay right?
Friday, November 27, 2009 10:09 AM
Gary Frank wrote:^^ um, no, 03 up did NOT have aluminum sub-frames....

any cradle will work in in your 97, 03 up wont work for you tho because its a 2.2

You're right, but something seemed different about the 03+, just can't remember.

Friday, November 27, 2009 11:13 AM
I believe the 03+ has an extra brace on it?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, November 27, 2009 12:09 PM

Friday, November 27, 2009 8:12 PM
That's the one I remember, been a while since I've been under one, I just recall them different from my Jiffy Lube days. It was the W-Body Cars that had the different brace I think. I just remember this boxy Aluminum brace that was on a newer GM car.

Monday, November 30, 2009 7:30 AM
Last I checked the 03-05 was cheaper....new than the 95-02 ones.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:00 AM
ok so here is what i got. i am going to pick up on sunday a cradle complete with a arms and rack and pinion out of a 99. the cradle seems to be in great shape and i am only paying 25 bucks off of a local mini stock racer. now comes the fun part of installing it.
Sunday, December 06, 2009 6:05 PM
Good find for $25
Monday, December 07, 2009 4:37 PM
yeah the cradle is in great shape. very minimal surface rust and the a arms are in great shape and i even plan on using those. i am having installed as we speak because i dont have the time or resources to do this swap right now.
Friday, July 22, 2016 6:32 PM
Will a cradle from a 96 cav work on a 98 cav? Hope so. Got a parts car for free.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search