dropzone struts and slip on coilovers - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dropzone struts and slip on coilovers
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:31 PM
I can get a decent deal on these. Are they any good?

Re: dropzone struts and slip on coilovers
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:52 PM
sure, unless you want to use them on a car.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:58 AM
I have them, and have had no problem what so ever.
I love the ride, the height and the price.
I have been riding them for over 2 years now, and have not run into any of the problems posted on here.
I guess to each their own.
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:50 AM
Ebay?

Do you seriously trust your life in the hands of $50 springs?

219whp - I <3 whine

Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:41 PM
they are $300 on ebay. And I would prefer this thread be kept to the people that have actually tried them and not just telling me that they are @!#$ because of the price tag

Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:59 PM
agreed, people are far too eager to @!#$ on product on this site if it costs less than what they paid for theirs... wait for actual feedback

Thursday, January 07, 2010 2:15 PM
A buddy of mine has them on his '00 Z24 and he says the ride is horrible even though the stance is great. I'd stick with the Suspension FAQ, you can find quality used setups for pretty cheap on here.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:07 PM
Blackz24 wrote:agreed, people are far too eager to @!#$ on product on this site if it costs less than what they paid for theirs... wait for actual feedback
There has been feedback on the Dropzone struts before, and it was negative.

For every one of the people you are most likely referring to who "@!#$ on a product if it costs less than what they paid for theirs", there are 50 people on this site who try to get someone to tell them that going cheap on their suspension is fine and will work perfectly, even though they've read the suspension FAQ and it says not to use stock struts, or stock replacements, or cut your springs, etc. etc....

Believe it or not, people give the advice of not cheaping out on your suspension because they don't want to see someone get hurt. The attitude comes from the fact that no one ever wants to hear that buying the cheap crap isn't OK when it comes to your suspension. Too many people hear or read that you shouldn't do it, but come on here and ask if it's OK anyway, just looking for validation for wanting to lower their car and not spend much money on it. Saying something that makes them feel better doesn't do a bit of good for them in reality.

Friday, January 08, 2010 9:16 AM
ive got them on mine with stock struts for alittle over a yr ad a half they seam to work fine for me. a buddy has them on his neon for a yr now hes never had a problem with them.

its really up to you

they worked fine for me and my buddy
Friday, January 08, 2010 12:09 PM
timka03 cav wrote:ive got them on mine with stock struts for alittle over a yr ad a half they seam to work fine for me. a buddy has them on his neon for a yr now hes never had a problem with them.

its really up to you

First of all, you've just been lucky nothing has happened yet. Second, you can not compare different vehicles, because components are not the same. Some cars can be dropped on stock struts without the same issues. Our stock struts will blow on lowering springs of any kind, it's just a matter of when. You rolled the dice, and so far you haven't lost. So far. People put the spare donuts on their car and do 75 on the highway all the time, and nothing happens, luckily for them. However, some people have the blowout they warn you will happen if you do, and cause a serious accident. The manufacturers tell you they are not for highway use, because it's not safe. Same with our struts.

Lastly, I would place money on you not knowing how a lowered car is supposed to properly ride, given your statement of generic coilovers on stock struts working fine for you.

Friday, January 08, 2010 12:56 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:
timka03 cav wrote:ive got them on mine with stock struts for alittle over a yr ad a half they seam to work fine for me. a buddy has them on his neon for a yr now hes never had a problem with them.

its really up to you

First of all, you've just been lucky nothing has happened yet. Second, you can not compare different vehicles, because components are not the same. Some cars can be dropped on stock struts without the same issues. Our stock struts will blow on lowering springs of any kind, it's just a matter of when. You rolled the dice, and so far you haven't lost. So far. People put the spare donuts on their car and do 75 on the highway all the time, and nothing happens, luckily for them. However, some people have the blowout they warn you will happen if you do, and cause a serious accident. The manufacturers tell you they are not for highway use, because it's not safe. Same with our struts.

Lastly, I would place money on you not knowing how a lowered car is supposed to properly ride, given your statement of generic coilovers on stock struts working fine for you.

So are you saying since I like them and have had no problems either, that I dont know how a lowered/modified car is suppose to ride either.
I have one of the most heavily modified cars on here, if we are talking about suspension. as well as engine too.
It all depends on how you drive, but then again I beat them hell out of mine all the time.
And in spring with the pot hole filled roads of Buffalo, NY from the snow plows in the winter, they handle and ride fine.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:19 PM
i've had more suspension set ups then i can even remember.... but i currently have eibach sportlines with dropzone struts, and i personally couldn't be happier. The rebound, spring rate and ride is excellent. I've read alot of reviews on the dropzone stuff and alot of it has come back negative, however like i said i couldn't be happier.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:52 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:So are you saying since I like them and have had no problems either, that I dont know how a lowered/modified car is suppose to ride either.
I have one of the most heavily modified cars on here, if we are talking about suspension. as well as engine too.
It all depends on how you drive, but then again I beat them hell out of mine all the time.
And in spring with the pot hole filled roads of Buffalo, NY from the snow plows in the winter, they handle and ride fine.
Are you on stock struts? If so, and you like them, I would put money on you not knowing how a good suspension should ride, either. There is a huge difference in the feel of a car, and the control you have, when you have properly valved struts for your springs.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:02 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
Phil Lindsay wrote:So are you saying since I like them and have had no problems either, that I dont know how a lowered/modified car is suppose to ride either.
Are you on stock struts? If so, and you like them, I would put money on you not knowing how a good suspension should ride, either. There is a huge difference in the feel of a car, and the control you have, when you have properly valved struts for your springs.

he's on dropzone springs and struts.

Monday, February 01, 2010 12:47 AM
i'm currently on $50 ebay no name brand coilovers and stock struts and it sucks pretty bad. it can give me the stance i want and rides ok around town but when i hit the highway like 270 in columbus, my car bounces all over the place. the springs are stiff and help me corner well but when i go over bumps, there's nothing to keep the car from bouncing sky high. there are times that the only thing keeping my head from hitting the ceiling is the seat belt. i am now realize my mistake and am searching for a proper setup. i too was looking at the dropzone stuff because it is affordable and looks like it would be a heck of a lot better than what i've got now. i saw a dropzone Struts/Shocks+Coilovers kit on ebay for $300. i don't need the highest performing setup out there, i just want something that will be safe, reliable, and affordable!

ebay Item number: 280428833576
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DropZone-Racing-Struts-Shocks-Coilovers-95-05-Cavalier_W0QQitemZ280428833576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414adc6b28#ht_ 3847wt_1165

Monday, February 01, 2010 5:50 AM
Im not sure about coilovers, I have never liked the idea of coilovers either.

If you can find the struts and springs, those would be better than the coilovers.

I have been running them for a while now, but some people bash them, so do your research.
But to each their own ..... I couldnt be happier!
Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:41 PM
My buddy has a set of tein basics and they are really good my suggestion is save your money and save your life and possibly some one elses you wouldn't crap out on your life would you, do your self a favor save a your money get a good suspension and save your self and others, I for one don't have a lowered car and want to but I'm not gunna Risk my life or my wife or Childs life on cut springs or $100 coils overs, I'll gladly save for a year and pay $2,000 to $10,000( you get what you pay for!!) on a good dependable suspension instead of killing some one that's just me i couldn't have that haunt me if I lived through it and they died

Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:57 PM
Ive had the struts and springs combo for 2 years and havent had a problem. The ride IN MY OPINION is just as good as the supposedly "superior" brands. When it comes down to the coilovers however I do not suggest you buy them. My friend owns a 01' with the combo you want and wow the ride is just BAD. He's switching to springs soon. Over all YES to the springs but NO to the coilovers. I know you asked about coilovers but I decided to put my input on the springs too just to help you out. The springs give you a front 1.7" drop and rear 2.3" drop which is perfect in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:44 PM
what about Dropzone coil overs on Koni struts and shocks with sport lines? think that set up would hold up pretty well??

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:31 AM
dropzone coilovers are garbage.

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:28 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:But to each their own ..... I couldnt be happier!

Have you ridden in a J with Tein Super Streets? I'm Just wondering, because they can be lower and ride better than even my Pro-kit with AGX's.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:45 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:
Phil Lindsay wrote:But to each their own ..... I couldnt be happier!

Have you ridden in a J with Tein Super Streets? I'm Just wondering, because they can be lower and ride better than even my Pro-kit with AGX's.[/quote

I have to agree with the above, my teins are a million times better than the prokit.

BTW did anyone else realize this thread is 10mos old lol

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:22 PM
From someone who has been on this site since in started up. Just came back on here and the same questions asked over and over again. I would say out of the hundreds of posts i have seen on Dropzones only about 2-5% of the people like them. I have ridden in cars that claim their car really ride well, and when they drove in my old car they realized how bad their set up was. Some people live in Cities where the road are pretty good so they don't notice.

As for Dropzone's a number of years ago someone found out the shocks were re-badged OEM struts. Couple people had some failure issues. Unless things have changed and are a better quality product stay away.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:53 PM
i have the dropzone strut/spring combo, i installed them with brand new oem strut mounts, nd had them on for 3 years with no problems on my daily driver, i just recently took them off because im getting into a new mini truck project and my wife will be driving my 05 cav now so its back to stock suspension now. but the ride isnt bouncy, one of my friends had the cheap ebay 40 dollar springs on stock struts even though i advised against it and his car bounced like it was on a trampoline, but ive never had a component fail on me, or excessive tire/axle wear etc. people who never drove on these especially for more than 5 minutes have nothing to add to this thread.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DropZone-Racing-Struts-Shocks-Coilovers-95-05-Cavalier-/280519657004?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415046462c

is it these? They are not bouncy you say? Im thinking of getting a set, but may use my current springs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search