ABS delete option - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ABS delete option
Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:57 PM
Electrical tape on the backside of the gauge face is your friend

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:25 PM
Well I already did that for the ABS light, but the brake light also comes on with the E brake and when my brake reservoir is low, so I was hoping to retain use of it, there has to be a way to trick it. The 6 wires in the connector are just connected to the positive and negative brushes on each of the three ABS motors. And I really don't think it could be measuring current draw or anything like that, so you would think you could trick it with the right resistor.

I messed around with it a bit today, and it doesn't cycle the motors at all during the initial test at startup, but it does apply enough voltage to burn up the resistors I was testing on it, lol. They lost their magic blue smoke

The brakes are great, but honestly I don't feel a difference, I was just doing it for the weight loss.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:14 PM
Looking at those wire sizes', your gonna need like 10W+ resistors minimum....

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

I don't need to be dead to donate my organ.
Monday, June 21, 2010 6:56 PM
Yeah I knew I'd need something bigger when I saw the magic blue smoke fly away, haha.

I stopped and picked the brains of my GM mechanic buddies and they looked into it for me. Turns out the cluster is constantly looking to check and see that all three motors are still there, and it isn't simply checking a resistance, it's a digital signal. I've got a few ideas to try, but all of them will be adding a bit of weight, which kinda sucks. However it will be necessary because I also found out with a brake light the car doesn't pass NYS inspection... YAY!

However all I would need to do is temporarily plug the module back in to get a new sticker, and then toss it again, but I'd like to think that I can beat this damn idiot light, lol.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:03 PM
Alright, so I've found a solution. After pondering it a bit, the best I can tell is the EBCM can sense that there is a coil connected to it at a certain resistance, if it knows this resistance it can calculate all kinds of things with very little information. Because of the very unique way that coils work, I don't think that just a resistor will trick the light, but I do have the next best thing.

Sure it's a bit of weight, but compared to what you're ditching with the ABS delete, it's nothing. Basically all you have to do is completely disassemble the three electric motors in your ABS unit that you are about to throw in a dumpster, and press the armature out of the cast aluminum plate, and the bearing off of the armature. Then simply cut the brushes off of all 6 leads, strip a bit of insulation off, and solder all 6 leads to where the brushes rub on the armature.

I'm not positive that you need to be as careful as I was to not connect each section of the armature, since after I was done I did some poking around with a multi meter and every wire was connected to every other wire. But I would suggest keeping each pair of black and white wires exactly 180 degrees from each other on the armature. Doing it this way worked for me, and it isn't much of a hassle to do it this way. Then just plug it back into your ABS harness and you're good to go, the light should turn off just after the ignition comes on.

I'll be experimenting with resistors and trimming the armature soon, but I just figured I'd post the solution I've found. Happy Modding

The soldered leads

I insulated the connections with hot glue, it will also help keep the wires from breaking off at the solder point

Wrapped up

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:28 PM
That looks like cheap @!#$ electrical tape. Please go buy a roll of 3M 33+ electrical tape. Well worth it for something like this. If you dont want to pop for 33+ then use the 1700 tape.

Not sure how well that will work as a "fix" but it may do the trick.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:35 AM
It's decent stuff, I couldn't find my roll of 3M anywhere.... Really it's just temporary to get some miles on it and see if it works.

It turns the light off, and that's all it was supposed to do, what more do you want from it? lol

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:03 AM
As long as it works I guess.

This did actually correct the light? Never though of something like that. Not sure how long I would leave it in, but if it gets you past inspection, it should be good enough.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:58 AM
I wouldn't have posted it as a solution if I didn't try it first. The light is off and I'll be leaving it in because I don't feel like having an idiot light on all the time.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:49 AM
Definately seems like a doable solution! let us know how this keeps up over the course of a couple of weeks.

Id be interested to see if it gets hot at all with the ecu constantly checking it.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:22 AM
Any updates on this yet?

Hows the mod doing? Still working without any issues?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:27 AM
Still working great, and I've checked it after a couple spirited drives and it doesn't even get warm to the touch.

The other armature is still sitting on my desk waiting to be trimmed down, I just have to pick up another plug and harness from the junkyard.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:59 PM
Looks like I will have to give this a shot when I delete my abs.

It's funny how some people buy cars because of the factory options and then there are some of us that buy cars to remove factory installed options.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:27 PM
so... has anybody taken the time to decipher as to exactly where each line is supposed to go for write-up purposes?

ive got two lines that screw right into my 95-99 style non-ABS master cylinder and two that do not. i have absolutely no idea where they are even supposed to go. i am thinking of getting an adapter piece much like the one we use to convert the 96-98 larger knock sensor hole to the smaller 99-02 style. that thing was easy as pie to install, it'd sure be awesome if the same type of deal could be done here.... both the ones that dont fit are larger than my stock lines so in theory... its feasible.

but before i can figure that part out, i need to know what lines go where.

thanks.

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Friday, September 10, 2010 4:37 AM
Front and back are all that really matter, because the proportioning is done in the master cylinder. The top two ports are for the front wheels and the bottom two ports that are pointing 45 degrees down from the horizontal are your rear wheels. The master cylinder actually has two separate pistons, which give you the two pairs of ports stacked on top of each other. After talking to a few mechanics, the proper way to do it is to have one front wheel on the top port, and the rear wheel from the opposite side of the car in the port just below it. And vice verse for the other two ports. That way if one piston fails, the idea is you still have one front brake and one rear brake, diagonal from each other on the car, that are still working.

If I need to explain it better let me know

Friday, September 10, 2010 4:53 AM
works for me! sucks ass because the two i have that actually screwed in are backwards. one front is on the bottom and one rear is on the top. i had it freaking perfect too... lines looked OEM for crist sakes. now i gotta re-bend (and no doubt screw it up) them to different orientations.

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:52 AM
I hate everything to do with brake lines. On my DD I just had a break line (hard line) burst so I replaced all the lines throughout the whole car (they were all equally corroded). Not hard to do not even that time consuming I just have zero fun and no drive what so ever to do anything with brake lines. I guess my ABS will probably stay the way it is.

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:02 AM
That's why you cut off some of the hard line, flare it with a 37 degree AN flare, and use flex line to the various ports for hook up.
Worked for me and Transporter and gives you some flexibility with better fitment and for adding inline proportioning valves for better brake bias for sometime down the road.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:38 AM
no offense james, i don't hate that setup but IMO it does look kinda gaudy. i perfer the hard lines and the OEM look.

Friday, September 10, 2010 2:18 PM
I didn't see an exact answer, but i just want to make sure. I have an 03, so if i can find a 03+ non abs, will the lights still come on?

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:15 PM
^^^ if you also get the matching harness i dont think so...

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:18 PM
You'd have to swap out the ECU and PCM as well I would think...

Or you could just trick it like I did. I can't imagine it wouldn't work for the 00+ ABS units.

Friday, September 10, 2010 8:08 PM
haha...i just took put a piece of black tape behind the cover on the cluster...no more light, problem solved

Quote:

no offense james, i don't hate that setup but IMO it does look kinda gaudy. i perfer the hard lines and the OEM look.

w00t .. section8 method FTW !!

and notice mine still fits fine With the black fluid tank and strut bar

Friday, September 10, 2010 10:26 PM
The problem is it will actually throw two lights, covering the ABS light is fine, since even NYS doesn't care if that light is on. But it will also throw the Brake light, which comes on when your brake fluid is low, and when your ebrake is engaged. Personally I like to keep as much functionality as possible, so I tricked the PCM into thinking the ABS was still there. NYS inspection has to see the Brake light come on and turn off during start up for our yearly inspection, so taping over it doesn't really work.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:39 AM
No offense taken Brad as I like doing things differently and not exactly following the flow.
I had original plans to do as section8 had done to his but my issue was that I'd bend something too far and it would kink which would end all thoughts of doing this to make it look factory. So factory wasn't going to be the look I was going for.

And Tim, awesome stuff on what you did there with the abs fix. It's a bit complicated but works and that's what counts.
I'll deal with the extra brake light for now as I drive the car very little.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search