worn rear strut mount ? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
worn rear strut mount ?
Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:03 PM
Hi, maybe that's gonna be a kinda noob question but my rear's doing annoying clunk clunk when hitting bumps...Can a rear strut bar can shorten the life of a strut mount ? (I have a crap strut bar from ebay) Or damage it? Knowing already that there is common issues with the strut mounts, I'm just trying to solve this problem since I know it need to be fixed anyway.

Re: worn rear strut mount ?
Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:17 PM
honestly, ive yet to hear about any brand rear mount replacement that is stock design style lasting.

best bet if you want longevity are the OEM solid mounts.

and no, the strut bar would not ruin it. if anything i would think it would help. but, it is common occurance with our cars. the design of the rear mounts is flat out retarded. it consists of a steel sleeve embedded in a hard rubber section. this sleeve rips out and thus, clunk clunk.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:21 PM
Thanks for the info dude. SometimesI I like to think my fire is possessed...Every single TSB has been fixed lol. I gonna go with OEM solid mounts...An idea of a range price ?

Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:57 AM
Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:27 PM
are the solid rear mounts any louder than the stock ones?
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:31 AM
No, they are just as soft as factory. The only difference is, the mounts wont move, so you get a much more responsive car.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, May 03, 2010 4:59 AM
i had the junk in trunk or lumber sound in my rear struts, i replaced the whole strut with a kit that comes with spring and mount. sound is gone, car drives like new.

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:47 AM
Letxen3 wrote:i had the junk in trunk or lumber sound in my rear struts, i replaced the whole strut with a kit that comes with spring and mount. sound is gone, car drives like new.

Where did you get the kit? My 2002 Cavi 2.2 is riding really rough in the rear and sometimes (cobblestone streets, larger potholes, speed bumps) I get the lumber sound. I'm taking a long trip soon and would like to have this worked out before dragging my car out for 500 miles.
Monday, May 17, 2010 10:20 AM
i got the struts front and rear from carquest they are KYB struts. rears were $70 each and fronts cost me $175 each.

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:21 AM
i got the quick strut kit comes with springs and all.

http://www.carquest.com/common/downloads/partsSteeringLoaded_Struts.pdf

Monday, May 07, 2012 10:44 PM
Mark... Will these solid rear mounts work with my rksport pro streets? Would like to get these mounts ASAP if they will work

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:27 AM
On my setup there are the coil then a smaller helper spring. In the front struts this helper spring is on the bottom below the coils. But in the rear this helper spring Is on top of coil springs instead. So that's y I'm a little weary before I purchase these mounts. Thanks any info would help.
Friday, May 11, 2012 12:15 PM
OEM wrote:No, they are just as soft as factory. The only difference is, the mounts wont move, so you get a much more responsive car.

Mark

what will the isolator and the bearings do for those mounts Mark?
Friday, May 11, 2012 3:14 PM
Isolators will reduce the possibility of noise from the spring.g rubbing on the mount. The bearing will help with allowing the strut to flex a little.

Mark do the non bearing models still come with the poly bushing above and below the mount plate?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:47 PM
do you have a set all ready Thomas?
Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:13 AM
No but there are a couple people here in az with them. I've been debating on getting all 4.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:46 PM
I want these bad damnit but can't get an answer if they are compatible with my prostreet coil overs?
Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:19 PM
Mark ? Will these soild mounts work with the prostreers or not?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search