tokico blue hp struts review - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tokico blue hp struts review
Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:31 PM
Whats everyones opinion on these struts , or this setup

Tokico Blue HP Struts with 1.8 inch lowering springs front and rear

my questions

1. Can they handle the drop?
2. Are they good struts?
3. Would You Recommend these?

Reason im asking is because i have people saying they cant handle the drop or they blew on them after like 6 months.

Re: tokico blue hp struts review
Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:44 PM
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:35 AM
From everything I have read they are exactly the same as the Dspecs that everyone loves but they lack the adjustibility which brings the price down. So yes, yes, and yes.

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:40 AM
But adjustable dampening is nice.

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:02 AM
1-Yes
2-Yes
3-Yes

I ran them for 2 years no issues great strut...
Monday, February 28, 2011 11:44 AM
I wouldn't go lower than 1.5 inches with Tockico blues......just my opinion, especially when I have read and heard that the HP blues are just OEM replacmements?

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:45 PM
Theyre supposed to be a stock replacement IIRC but someone took the initiative and contacted Tokico.

Monday, February 28, 2011 1:19 PM
I ran then with a 2 inch drop spring with no issues...

As I spoke with Tokico for some time,The HP Struts will do a 2 inch drop as long as you make sure to cut the bump stops,And as long as you do not scratch the shaft which will cause leaking issues,And as long as bump stops are cut and no scratching of the shaft or major damage they will warranty them...

The Tokico is not a OEM replacement,It can be used as one which will help your stock car,But the valving in them are meant to work on lowered cars,The only major diff between the HP and Dspec strut is the adjust ability on them,The shaft dimensions are the same,the valving will be a bit different but this because of it being adjustable.

And Tokico knows of Canuk springs which is what he will be using.
Monday, February 28, 2011 8:19 PM
Yeah Canucks im gonna be using
Monday, February 28, 2011 8:24 PM
I just got my tokico hp blues with m2 lowering springs in the mail today. The springs are a 1.5 inch drop. The paper work for the tokico struts say they will handle 1 3/4 inch drop.
when I get them installed i can post some pics.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:15 AM
good to know. this was a matter of debate for a long time...seems to be solved..thanks for the follow up info!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:46 PM
Here what they reply to me after i ask what is the differance betwen the GR2 and the HP:

Thank you for contacting Tokico Performance Shocks. Both KYB and Tokico are OEM suppliers, so the quality is excellent. However, as you mentioned, the GR2 is an OEM replacement. Our HP Blues are designed to be a performance product. It is about 15% stiffer than your OEM shocks, which will provide you with a stiffer ride and better cornering ability. Our products also are backed with a lifetime warranty.
Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:42 AM
A @!#$ty lifetime warranty!
There customer service is sub sub par.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:11 PM
Here is the sheet that comes with tokico hp struts.

And here is a pic of them with m2 lowering springs, the blues match almost perfectly!

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:07 PM
Todd Haworth wrote:Here is the sheet that comes with tokico hp struts.

And here is a pic of them with m2 lowering springs, the blues match almost perfectly!

I'm lovin' the 10 pixel images. You want to post the full-size image, not the thumbnails.
Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:57 AM
I called tokico and I was told the hp blue and the d spec are not the same guts on the inside, unlike what tokico told someone else, also they said the blues only for 1.5 inch drop, and that they don't warrant them at 1.75 drop, call and see.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:40 AM
I ask:
Quote:

Can they handle a drop of 1.4 inch (Eibach pro kit) ?

Answer:
Quote:

Absolutely. The Eibach Pro Kit is one of the most popular springs used with the HP Blues. They compliment each other very well.

Thanks,
David

David Chou
Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas, Inc.
TOKICO PERFORMANCE SHOCKS
475 Alaska Ave.
Torrance, CA 90503
P: 310-212-0234
F: 310-212-0222
Web: www.TokicoPerformanceShocks.com

Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:38 PM
Ok , i cant get the scanned image to get big enough so i will type what it says about lowering and warranty.
Quote: lowering cautions: If you are lowering your vehicle or installing shocks on a lowewered vehicle , please read the following recommendations:
1. Do not remove or operate your vehicle without bumpstops. If you need extra suspension travel, please shorten your bumpstops. A good guideline is 1/3 or 1/2" (maximum) of the bumpstop length.
2.Do not lower your vehicle too far. It will give you a harsh ride and can damage shocks and other suspension parts. It can also make alignment difficult to impossible.
3: Avoid lowering in areas where severe rough roads are common.

Your Tokico warranty will be void if:
1: You lower your vehicle too far (most can handle 1" to 1 3/4" maximum;some trucks can be lowered over 4" depending upon method).
2. You modify the shock or strut(an example would be aftermarket adjustuable spring seats and collars).
Also failure to use dust covers can void warranty.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:02 PM
I hate to bring back an old thread, but I would really like to hear more peoples opinois on Tokico HP blue struts with sportlines and if they will simply last, I really dont care about warranty, just as long they last like 3-4 years (or more would be great).
Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:02 PM
Yeah im having the same problem myself... Im stuck between the pro-kit and the sportlines..
also i cant decide between the hps and the d specs
they sell the hps/pro kit and hps/sportlines on ebay, but i think i would like the adjustability
since the sportlines are 2.3" rear 1.7" front i feel like the d specs would last longer and would almost be needed.. but idk
the pro kit at 1.4 on the other hand wouldnt be too hard on the struts so the hps would work fine as far as ive read..

Im currently looking for a set of dspecs for a decent price..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search