Aftermarket Brake upgrade - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aftermarket Brake upgrade
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:55 AM
I am looking to do a moderate upgrade on my braking system on my 2005 Cav. Here is what I am looking to do, new slotted rotors, new pads, reman calipers, new drums, new shoes, stainless brake likes and fluid. I was hoping for some advice on rotors to get and pads and lines, I want better performance and a firmer pedal but I don't want to go to a big brake kit just original size to replace factory setup. Also if anyone has any other advice for other things to check or replace when doing a "full" brake job please let me know your opinion or ideas. Help me with some rotor and pad combos and maybe a good site to get the whole setup minus the calipers (I plan to get at the auto parts store). I am hoping to stay under $300 for rotors, pads and all 4 braided lines. I found a site in the past that had packages of rotors, pads and lines for around that price, but i cant seem to find it now. Let me know your advice and opinions!!!!! Thnx - Ryan

Re: Aftermarket Brake upgrade
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:30 AM
Carbotec pads and drum shoes. Some decent rotors that arent cross drilled and not from (insert auto parts store here). Use high quality DOT3/4 brake fluid, some sort of racing fluid, the good one is blue and the name is escaping me. Oh and if you have aftermarket rims you may be able to fit some wilwood calipers that work with the stock brake size, might be able to find direct bolt on ones, or just buy the kit from OEM.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:07 AM
Power slot cryo treated rotors with Hawk Pads are my recommendation

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:55 AM
Can someone provide me a good website or a few to purchase rotors, pads, stainless lines and possibly willwood stock replacement calipers? Also should I turn my current drums or just go with new ones?
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:05 PM
Ryan Shaw wrote:possibly willwood stock replacement calipers?

They are not made. The only way to get better calipers is to buy a big brake kit.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:10 PM
or you could look at the nwf brake setup that's outlined in the sticky's at the top of the forum. slightly bigger brakes with better calipers for less $$ than an aftermarket brake kit.

if you're going to replace the shoes, you might want to replace the drums too (or at least have them turned)

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:29 PM
Tinkles wrote:
Ryan Shaw wrote:possibly willwood stock replacement calipers?

They are not made. The only way to get better calipers is to buy a big brake kit.

There's OEM's setup. I dont believe thats a big brake setup, at the very least it fits 16" wheels.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:31 AM
So I have been looking at rotors and I have been told the Cryo-Power Slots are great, but I am wondering if they are worth the extra price and if I will get a longer life out of them as compared to the regular power slot rotors. Also what pads should I use with either of them? Lastly I found the powerstop rotor and pad combo for about $168 for the front setup and I am wondering if they are any good. For some information, this is a daily driver that I want better rotors and pads on as I have had trouble in the past with the pulsing in the pedal and have had some fading in the brakes in the summer as well and I just want a better quality system but nothing extreme.
Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:14 AM
Wow, that pad rotor combo cost less than just the pads I suggested. Either the pads are junk our is a super deal. Make sure you bed the brakes right too, if you don't do that there was no point in doing anything else you did.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:08 AM
Ok I think I am going with the following, please advise.

Hawk HPS pads. Or should i get the hawk ceramic pads?
Power slot rotors. I want the cryo rotors but the extra $70 is it worth it?????
Russel Braided Lines. Jegs - $84.99
Trying to track down drums and shoes for the rear still, does anyone know of a decent cost effective brand?

Also Doing E3 Spark Plugs.
Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:11 AM
Ryan Shaw wrote:Ok I think I am going with the following, please advise.

Hawk HPS pads. Or should i get the hawk ceramic pads?
Power slot rotors. I want the cryo rotors but the extra $70 is it worth it?????
Russel Braided Lines. Jegs - $84.99
Trying to track down drums and shoes for the rear still, does anyone know of a decent cost effective brand?

Also Doing E3 Spark Plugs.
Quote:

those spark plugs are junk

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:12 AM
Skip the E3 plugs.

Drums and shoes, you wont find performance drums, at least I havent. And the only performance shoes I've found are carbotec. And honestly its like 180 for the shoes then I'd guess 40 for stock replacement drums, that almost as much as some people have done neon swaps for.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:15 PM
yeah i am also about to order my Hawk HPS pads and powerslot cryos.
Same dilemma with drums and shoes.
Everyone gives it the thumbs up so i will give it a whirl also

Little Sedan That Could <3 Forever

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:53 AM
Darkstars wrote:Power slot cryo treated rotors with Hawk Pads are my recommendation

Just did the HPS Hawk Pads and Power Slot Cryo rotors on the wife's Mazda 3. Great upgrade.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:29 AM
whats the difference between the powerslots and an ebay set that you send to get cryo treated? well, besides like 150 dollars.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:37 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:whats the difference between the powerslots and an ebay set that you send to get cryo treated? well, besides like 150 dollars.

Better material make up. Better quality. Cryotreated vs guessing whats done to them on ebay.

Another recommendation for Hawk HPS Pads, and Powerslot Cryotreated rotors.

DO NOT BUY SLOTTED AND DRILLED.

here are the cheapest i found and free shipping. This is where I always got mine from and never had a single issue or worry.
http://www.buybrakes.com/p-626-power-slot-cryo-slotted-brake-rotors.aspx

and pads
http://www.buybrakes.com/p-685-hawk-performance-hps-performance-street-brake-pads.aspx

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:42 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

arent the wilwoods you bought drilled and slotted? or??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:28 PM

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:43 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:whats the difference between the powerslots and an ebay set that you send to get cryo treated? well, besides like 150 dollars.

Better material make up. Better quality. Cryotreated vs guessing whats done to them on ebay.

proof that they have better material make up and are better quality?

and no guessing when you send them in to get cryo'd LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:48 PM

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:55 PM
I've run eBay rotors plenty of times and OEM rotors and they wear out the same. Also have run drilled and slotted plenty of times also. They do stop quicker but use up your pad quicker too.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:41 PM
Zs Z wrote:I've run eBay rotors plenty of times and OEM rotors and they wear out the same. Also have run drilled and slotted plenty of times also. They do stop quicker but use up your pad quicker too.

Spot on. However in Vince's defense cheapers drilled or dimpled rotors tend to crack bad around the edges, so I, PERSONALLY have always stayed on the slotted side. At work we are using this new brand called Mighty (basically one step up from autozone/advance) and they have a chart of material testing between china rotors and the mighty rotors (american made I believe). Our's are have higher standards, my point being I am assuming the ebay rotors are the "base model" if you will of rotors and may not stand up to repeated high speed braking
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:56 PM
I have OEM Wagner rotors and hawk pads and very happy with them, if you want to spend more on rotors, I'd go with powerslots. I'd just keep rear drums stock, fronts do most of the braking anyways. If you are concerned though, look into rear disc swaps then but you would benefit more from better front brakes.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:34 AM
Yes I have experienced cracking with all 3 types of rotors mentioned above but I did get my miles worth out of them. Apparently I'm tough on brakes though haha.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:01 AM
Phillip Gruver wrote:
Zs Z wrote:I've run eBay rotors plenty of times and OEM rotors and they wear out the same. Also have run drilled and slotted plenty of times also. They do stop quicker but use up your pad quicker too.

Spot on. However in Vince's defense cheapers drilled or dimpled rotors tend to crack bad around the edges, so I, PERSONALLY have always stayed on the slotted side. At work we are using this new brand called Mighty (basically one step up from autozone/advance) and they have a chart of material testing between china rotors and the mighty rotors (american made I believe). Our's are have higher standards, my point being I am assuming the ebay rotors are the "base model" if you will of rotors and may not stand up to repeated high speed braking

im right there in agreeance with both you AND vince in this instance. however... for around $30 bucks you can send those "base model" rotors off to get cryotreated and they can last longer than without cryo and save yourself a good chunk of change versus the name brand stuff.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:56 PM
i wonder if anyone knows you can buy hawk pads from pepboys for 18 bucks

Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:12 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

arent the wilwoods you bought drilled and slotted? or??

Wilwoods are cast with the holes and slots in it. The other brands are cast then drilled which is why they crack. See below.

Old vs new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search