Installed the big brakes today (STI rotors, Camaro calipers)...finally - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installed the big brakes today (STI rotors, Camaro calipers)...finally
Monday, April 11, 2011 5:56 PM
So after months of these sitting in my room I finally dug out my big brakes today and installed them.

on with the pics....

What came off the car

Ground down the knuckle

Youll need some 3mm washers or you'll need to grind down the knuckle a lot

Here is the test fit, I wound up taking more off the bottom because it was too close for my liking

Here are the modified Camaro caliper brackets and adapter brackets

The Bracket is bolted on with some special washers for spacing properly

Installed caliper

Clearance with 17" wheels

I still need to bleed them and when I do I'll post back about how they feel. If anyone is interested in doing this setup and needs brackets or whole kits PM me(yes I am premium)

Re: Installed the big brakes today (STI rotors, Camaro calipers)...finally
Monday, April 11, 2011 6:09 PM
nice bro.. did you have to bored out the rotors?

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:17 PM
Thanks! Nah I didn't have to, the inner side of the rotor at the hub kind of tapers and the outer side fit snug on the hub.

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:21 PM
Pmed

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:33 PM
Nice , but i do have some questions. First : what year rotors and calipers? Second : do u have to do anything to the caliper bracket other than bolt on the adapter? And third: How much do u want for a set of the adapter brackets?
Now someone just needs to come up with a rear big brake setup that can use of the shelf parts like this!

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:36 PM
automatically 2004 sti as its the only year sti with 5x100 bolt pattern.

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:42 PM
Todd Haworth wrote:Nice , but i do have some questions. First : what year rotors and calipers? Second : do u have to do anything to the caliper bracket other than bolt on the adapter? And third: How much do u want for a set of the adapter brackets?
Now someone just needs to come up with a rear big brake setup that can use of the shelf parts like this!

2004 rotors and 98-02 camaro calipers. The camaro bracket needs to be cut drilled and tapped to attach to the adapter. I will be doing a STI/Mustang rear setup eventually.

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:42 PM
Id be down for a set price pending but i would opt for bringing the knuckle to a shop to have the work done and not just lop it off

Pm'd
Monday, April 11, 2011 6:49 PM
I assume the rear sti rotors are the same year as the front? And what about the mustang calipers u know how this setup will work yet. I have been talking to jeffie about adaptors for the rear for some kind of setup, but i wanna do big brakes in the front and rear so my 18's dont look so stupid.

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:52 PM
I am planning on running 04 rear sti rotors and 05 mustang rear calipers. The fit together very snugly so I will be sanding down part of the pads. They are ridiculously thick pads so I dont think it will affect anything and it might just be the pads I bought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 11, 2011 6:54 PM

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:54 PM
epic!

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:02 PM
sweet , so how much for a set of adaptors? Do you make them or what? I have no problems drilling and tapping stuff.
Also , if you figured all this @!#$ up on your own than hats off to you!

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:13 PM
I sent a PM. Thanks, I used the STI rotor idea from another thread and came up with the camaro caliper Idea. I had help with the bracket design and machining.

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:17 PM
Nice, dude! I like this car a little more every time you post.

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Monday, April 11, 2011 7:18 PM
I didnt think the sti rotors would fit without drilling out the center cause subbies run smaller . good to know the rotors fit without any mods other than shimming them from behind. I think a solid 1 peice machined spacer behind the rotor would be a much better alternative though.

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:35 PM
i'd be interested in a set of mounting brackets pending price
Monday, April 11, 2011 7:36 PM
Todd Haworth wrote:I didnt think the sti rotors would fit without drilling out the center cause subbies run smaller . good to know the rotors fit without any mods other than shimming them from behind. I think a solid 1 peice machined spacer behind the rotor would be a much better alternative though.

I had bought some spacers but the diameter was too wide to fit behind the rotor, I think I'll look for different ones. I'm content with the washers though.

tha_prowler wrote:Nice, dude! I like this car a little more every time you post.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 11, 2011 7:37 PM

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:16 AM
Very nice, might be into a kit down the road a bit. PM me some details if you would good sir.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:37 AM
LOVE it mang!

i dont get it though... whats different between this and just the straight up NWF swap? (besides the obvious 5X100 rotors)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:35 AM
z yaaaa wrote:LOVE it mang!

i dont get it though... whats different between this and just the straight up NWF swap? (besides the obvious 5X100 rotors)

Well besides the 5x100 bolt pattern, there are alot fewer parts to source and no axle swapping issues.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:50 AM
I remember back when I had the neon rear conversion. I installed one side and when I saw you needed to take the rotor off and use washers to shim it away from the hub I pulled that @!#$ off and sold it and bought a real kit. This setup doesn't look bad other then having that exact same problem, I always went with quality stuff, if the rotor doesn't touch the hub theres not a chance in hell I'd put that on my car. There is a reason no company, factory or after market does that, it's only people trying to hack together @!#$ that doesn't fit.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:04 AM
The rotor is snug nicely around the hub. Its not really any different than a wheel spacer. Sure its not a pricey made to fit ssbc or wilwood lot but I'd hardly say its hacked. I do appereciate the opinion though.

And Brad yes like said above it retains the stock lug pattern, you don't have to mess with axles or source as many parts.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:25 AM
Im not cracked up about the washers either, that is why i said a 1 peice solid spacer would be nice. I think that would be acceptable. Also i can see someone trying this and totally destroying there spindle when trying to grind it down. Either way you are not ever using that spindle for anything else.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:32 AM
I agree and a 1 piece is very doable. I just couldn't get the spacers I have to fit so I had to go the washer route.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:38 AM
I bet a machine shop could make these fairly easily, i wonder how much they would charge.I dont see anything wrong with the adapter for the caliper bracket as long as its quality built.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search