Rear breaks rub at highway speeds (comes and goes) - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear breaks rub at highway speeds (comes and goes)
Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:18 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a common problem now that I read the thread about brakes locking up... Anyways, replaced rear breaks 2 weeks ago, and front rotors, calipers, and pads 1 week ago... front rotors were trash & i figured new calipers wouldnt hurt either.. fronts are perfect now... but the rear is another story. I have intermittent vibrations coming from the rear breaks contacting the drums when they aren't supposed to, completely trashed my new rear brakes already... not very happy about it. I had been contimplating the neon disc swap for some time, but i didn't think these would crap out so fast.

I guess this was going to be a question of what was going on... but maybe I know already lol. I will be looking over the neon swap now... anybody know if there are more specifics in the stickey now? I know it was somewhat vauge on details in the main first post

Re: Rear breaks rub at highway speeds (comes and goes)
Monday, May 30, 2011 10:49 AM
this isn't relating to the neon brake swap, but did u get it done at a shop or yourself? Did you replacethe ebrake shoe springs and adjust them on the click dial after install?
Re: Rear breaks rub at highway speeds (comes and goes)
Monday, May 30, 2011 11:45 AM
I did the work myself, in all the brakes I have done i have never had any problems like this... I only replaced the shoes, I had been planning to do the neon swap so I wasn't about to buy all new hardware for the drums and then just change it all again.

The adjuster was out about 3/4 inch when I took the drum off. Had to have them adjusted all the way down to 0 adjustment out just to get the drums back on, but they turned freely and no rubbing when I spun them. When I took the drum back off the other day the adjustment was back out, and like I said, the new shoes were in worse shape than the ones I removed which definitely shouldn't happen in just a few weeks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search