Brake Issues after service - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake Issues after service
Friday, May 27, 2011 7:06 PM
Hey guys,

Yesterday I took my gfs car to get her brake service done at a local shop, everything seemed okay, but when they proceeded to prime the brake, no pressure was present. They came to a conclusion that the master cylinder was gone, and needed to be replaced. Fine. We left the car over night so that he could get the part and install it. Today, I picked up the car and it seemed okay at first when braking hard, but if i didn't brake frequently when i did go to brake, the pedal felt like it had no pressure and would need to go all the way to the floor to even begin to grab, or i would have to pump it to get pressure back. Does this sound like air in the lines? or is there something else going on here? Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

Re: Brake Issues after service
Friday, May 27, 2011 7:44 PM
Take it back to the shop and save yourself the time... If they serviced the brakes and changed the MC and it has this problem then #1 they did something wrong and they should correct it at no charge. And #2 there could be another problem and/or they misdiagnosed it. Either way they should at least tell you what is wrong without any charge here...

And as for the problem in general... sounds like it might be air in the lines, or the brake booster is having issues.
Friday, May 27, 2011 7:57 PM
wouldn't the brake booster make the pedal extremely hard to push down?
Friday, May 27, 2011 8:09 PM
It depends what happens, I know when the booster went out on my old chevy truck (the diaphram inside booster went bad) it let fluid seep into the booster from the MC, essentially the booster was bad, but made it look like the MC was bad.. and also caused a huge vac leak so it didn't run for crap when it was in gear.

But like I said... a problem right away after being service.. it should be on the shops tab
Friday, May 27, 2011 8:23 PM
sounds to me as if there's a leak in the system somewhere. i would guess a pinhole in a line or a wheel cylinder.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:34 AM
Here's what's confusing me though. I had nothing wrong with the brakes before I went for service. All that needed to be done was pads, and he couldn't get pressure when he was finished. He tried to bleed the brakes on the front driver side cause he said he had problems compressing the piston back in. Only dribbles of fluid would come out and this is when he stated that the mc was bad. MC changed, brake lines flushed, bled twice(apparently), pressure comes back. Until random no pressure happens every so often.

So the car went back to the shop, now they're saying bad booster. So I'm thinking this guy has no clue what he's talking about and just guessing trying to make a penny. So I call my mechanic that I usually take my car to who's been in the business for 20 years, tell him the symptoms and he says it wouldn't be the booster based on the symptoms. Now at this point I'm running outta patience with the original shop giving me a hard time about it's my problem this happened. Any other possibilities guys on what it could be?
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:12 PM
This is why I am my own mechanic. Not too many people you can trust to be honest if they feel they can take advantage of you for a few more bucks..

Could be a leak or air in the lines...Any spots of fluid under the car?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search