LF Sway Bar Link - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LF Sway Bar Link
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:08 PM
I recently took my car - 2004 Cavalier, 71,000 miles - to a G.M. dealer that I used to work at for an oil change, multi-point inspection, and $10.00 rebate. I had been having an issue when I would steer hard to the left like when turning into an off street parking lot. I'd feel a rubbing sound. Afterwards they told me I had a broken LF sway bar link. The kid - the owners grandson/service writer said it would be a $250.00 repair. I've been driving it for about a month and now the noise is gone. But I noticed yesterday than my tires almost sound a bit like a Jeep while driving. Not too loud but a little noticeable. The tires look O.K. and the car handles fine. I only drive the car about 75 miles a month running errands as I get a very small disability check. Will this car be safe to drive? I don't want to lose control all at once driving it. Only getting $600.00 a month to live on this is expensive. Can I get by without the repair? It would be very hard to save that much money. This is my only way to get around. Any help would be great.

Re: LF Sway Bar Link
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:15 PM
More like a $5 dollar repair....

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:55 PM
truth. 6.99 at advanced auto parts

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:03 PM
I'd just find some local mechanic, or even someone that changes their own oil to do the repair for you. It's no more complicated than an oil change.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528003d14f

That first picture is the endlink on the end of the bar, attached to the control arm, right behind the brake assembly, behind the tire.

Some cavaliers do not even come with the front sway bar/endlinks..... so as far as safety goes? I think you'd live without the repair. If it's making a rubbing noise though..... well the axle is right near the end of a bar.... a sharp broken piece of bolt wouldn't be good for the rubber boot and grease inside, if it could reach. Hard to say what it might be contacting without being held down...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search