Neon rear disc swap owners... - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon rear disc swap owners...
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:47 PM
^Thanks man for the input. I'm surprised you're going this route, i remember talking with you in the past and u wasn't to crazy with idea as your brakes worked just fine. lol
But I'm sure it will look better too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:14 PM
Your right my brakes work just fine. My reason is for looks, and easier pad changing.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 07, 2011 10:29 PM
^I'm on the same boat as you, I'll add, I just never like drums.

Anybody else that could give an input on this?
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
1. How does your brake pedal feel compared to the old drum set up?
2. How far up does your parking brake handle go when in use? Right now, in my drum set up, it goes up about 60-70 degrees up. Curious if it goes lower or higher or how quick does it react.
3. Has any one used other rotors to prevent the use of washers?
4. What is the size of the copper washer fittings for the front and rear calipers?
5. Have you seen an improvement in braking?
6. Do you trigger the ABS more often in the rear?
7. How does it feel when braking in the wet?
8. When you installed this brake setup, did you get any creeks or any type noise, being that this is not a GM engineered piece?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:23 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^I'm on the same boat as you, I'll add, I just never like drums.

Anybody else that could give an input on this?
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
1. How does your brake pedal feel compared to the old drum set up?
2. How far up does your parking brake handle go when in use? Right now, in my drum set up, it goes up about 60-70 degrees up. Curious if it goes lower or higher or how quick does it react.
3. Has any one used other rotors to prevent the use of washers?
4. What is the size of the copper washer fittings for the front and rear calipers?
5. Have you seen an improvement in braking?
6. Do you trigger the ABS more often in the rear?
7. How does it feel when braking in the wet?
8. When you installed this brake setup, did you get any creeks or any type noise, being that this is not a GM engineered piece?

My initial drive for doing this was simply because the parts for a neon rear disc swap were cheaper than buying all new drum stuff. I have had the car since '08 and never even took off the rear drums in that time, So I knew it was time to replace it anyway.

1) My pedal was a little soft at first, ABS needed to be bled. Now they feel great, Especially with the braided lines. You know the car is stopping
2) No parking brake on mine. I'm auto and don't park on hills. I might get around to re-installing it one day.
3) I didn't mind using the washers, Makes the rear a little wider and you don't have to worry about the rotor seizing to the hub.
4) I forget off the top of my head, But I have the package in my toolbox still.
5) Yes. Night and day. My drums were in bad shape.
6) My ABS is getting removed.
7) Same. It just stops.
8) I have one on the rear drivers side. Sounds like the axle bushing squeaking.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:30 AM
^TY for your input Mike.
All the input helps so much on this.
But you're not getting creeks or moan from the actual set up?

This month I will look for a reputable place that turns rotors and see if I could shave the lip off.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:23 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^TY for your input Mike.
All the input helps so much on this.
But you're not getting creeks or moan from the actual set up?

This month I will look for a reputable place that turns rotors and see if I could shave the lip off.

I had some groans before i realized the caliper bolt kit I got had bolts that were too long and were pushing the dust guard into the rotor... Just trimmed the ends off the bolts to shorten them and all was good.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:35 PM
I have one amendment to make to my previous post, I took it out during a big rainstorm last week and I hit the brakes when coming off of the highway and it felt like there was nothing there. A little scary, but they just needed to dry out a little. 2nd pump got me stopped fast.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:25 AM
^TY.

I forgot an important one.
-How is the spacing with the rotor and caliper? It is equal spacing? Or is one side closer than the other?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:39 PM
Mine was even. You could easily lathe the lip off the rear of the rotor, but I just threw the washers on. You know it's never gonna sieze onto the hub that way.pO

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search