Rear Disc Brakes, Not another thread!!!!!! Club Jeffie FEELER!!!! - Page 18 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear Disc Brakes, Not another thread!!!!!! Club Jeffie FEELER!!!!
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:21 PM
steven burton wrote:and please, if possible explain why we couldn't have the same sunfire rotor/brake setup in the rear as in the front (since the bracket will be custom made anyway)

One main thing is the emergency brake, there would be no way to hook it up using that kind of caliper, thats mainly why only neon swaps were useable, that and the Granny Am/Alero IRS swap because they have the internal drum emergency brake. In this saturn setup its all in the caliper, don't have to worry about the drum style components wearing/breaking/working properly. The Saturn calipers auto adjust themselves because its like a mini master cylander in each caliper to compress the piston. no fine tuning needed like the neon or otherwise.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:29 PM
Thanks! I gather the grand am calipers wouldn't work with sunfire front rotors using a custom bracket? (assuming grand am calipers would fit over the rotors..)

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:37 PM
steven burton wrote:Thanks! I gather the grand am calipers wouldn't work with sunfire front rotors using a custom bracket? (assuming grand am calipers would fit over the rotors..)

No, the grand am IRS swap is basically putting the grand am/alero rear subframe (suspension arms mounts etc.. onto the Jbody... body. you would have to use the grand am 5x115 rotors because it retains the grand am wheel hub. This swap works well with the NWF swap because it gives you 5x115 on all four corners, and you can use a set of specific rims, most people that do one or the other have to get rims with dual lug patterns to have matching rims on the car. Info on both swaps are stickied at top of suspension forum...
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:56 PM
steven burton wrote:and please, if possible explain why we couldn't have the same sunfire rotor/brake setup in the rear as in the front (since the bracket will be custom made anyway)

The main reason is that that setup would provide too much braking in the rear which will cause it to lock up and possible put you into a slide/spin.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:45 PM
Thanks Gents!!

Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:06 PM
Let's hope there are enough S-series out there for the amount of J-body's. I've been to most of the auto wreakers in the area and it looks like no one here liked to spec up their Saturns...

1993 Pontiac Sunbird 3400V6

Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:53 PM
PingPong wrote:Let's hope there are enough S-series out there for the amount of J-body's. I've been to most of the auto wreakers in the area and it looks like no one here liked to spec up their Saturns...

New/Reman units are always available .....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:15 AM
Roofy wrote:
PingPong wrote:Let's hope there are enough S-series out there for the amount of J-body's. I've been to most of the auto wreakers in the area and it looks like no one here liked to spec up their Saturns...

New/Reman units are always available .....

This... And also like I posted up above my local pick n pull should have two sets left if anybody doesn't want to fork up for a set of new.. The only other things you would need are the hoses, rotors, and pads as I wouldn't reccomend using salvage on those.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:48 PM
any updates on this?

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:47 AM
They are coming

Just keep an eye out in the GP forums around the end of the month

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:32 PM
I need my brakes bad Jeffie... realll bad. Only one piece is missing... you are holding them hostage...

And really, my shizzy drums are about to rattle my car apart cause they are shot so bad.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:04 AM
Jordan wrote:I need my brakes bad Jeffie... realll bad. Only one piece is missing... you are holding them hostage...

And really, my shizzy drums are about to rattle my car apart cause they are shot so bad.

Just open em up hose em down with some PB Blaster. Bam! No more squeaking =)

-I drive my car to work-
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:26 AM
HMMMMMMMMM

Cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut some more cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut and then cut some more.........
Attachments
imagejpeg953.jpg (203k)

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:09 AM
damn, some nice cncing going on there... prolly work real well for a battery tray to.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:23 AM
i only see holes for ONE caliper.............FAIL

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:42 AM
Looks great Jeffie. I can't wait to get mine. So in theory with the way those look you could still leave ur rear drums on till you got the parts to do the swap.

(write what ever comment you want here)
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:44 AM
Yes you could Dave

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:35 AM
Hurry up !!!!

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:14 PM
Wow I was expecting them to get water jetted. I guess you determined you needed higher tolerances than that.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:25 PM
looks good Jeffie! i'm getting antsy at the prospects of seeing this completed. I can also see the difficulty in having a personal life and making all of these. Hats off to you for making these available for everyone.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:27 PM
Waterjet holds tolerances very well, as long as the machine isnt wore out

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:30 PM
All the parts we've gotten from the water jetter over here you can see how tight circles are made up of a bunch of tiny straight lines. I'm going to guess the guys we have do ours just have a really old controller that doesnt have super high resolution.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:24 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:All the parts we've gotten from the water jetter over here you can see how tight circles are made up of a bunch of tiny straight lines. I'm going to guess the guys we have do ours just have a really old controller that doesnt have super high resolution.

Thats the file type my friend. DXF and DWG files from corel attach millions of nodes. You have to send in as a PDF or an AI file and then they can convert from there. My waterjet does that. Waterjet and a CNC mill work off the same type of programs, G-code. Its the file type that you send it that makes it run smooth or choppy. Also depends on machine some new machines can do auto correct and delete multiple nodes. This speeds the time of production aka makes them more money.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:32 PM
Ahh now I'd never run into that since I normally machine with parametric models. Although I do use dwg files for the laser cutter and I dont notice the effect, at least not as much.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:56 PM
durandall05 . wrote:
Jordan wrote:I need my brakes bad Jeffie... realll bad. Only one piece is missing... you are holding them hostage...

Just open em up hose em down with some PB Blaster. Bam! No more squeaking =)

Yeah my brakes don't squeak. My drums are shot, in turn ruining what was left of the shoes. makes my car shake when braking. pb blaster aint gonna help budd. And i'm not gonna blow money on new drums n all waiting for the brackets..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search