Tein S/KYB AGX rear not low enough - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tein S/KYB AGX rear not low enough
Friday, June 24, 2011 9:37 AM
So I installed these on my 04 Cav a few months ago.
I have to say, the ride and handling have improved 100 fold and with the 18" wheels and 225/40's I have almost ZERO body roll. It's stiff but very fun to drive now and I'm happy.
The problem lies though, within the height of the rear still.
As you can see in the pictures, the front sits absolutely perfect for what I wanted. But the rear only dropped marginally, and still looks almost stock. I cant stand that gap!
Question is, can I mix brands and go with a different spring that will drop it more in the rear only? I'm not looking for an expensive coilover conversion or brand new fancy springs all around, as I got this setup VERY cheap from a local Jbody and its just a daily driver, so doesnt need super fancy gear. I do want to do it right though, and if a full set of something else works, then that'll be the answer. But the front is absolutely where I want it!

Pics are stock, with 18" 5KR's on stock suspension, then after the Tein S/KYB AGX kit

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: Tein S/KYB AGX rear not low enough
Friday, June 24, 2011 10:31 AM
how new were the springs strut combo cause if they are semi new they might still settle lower.

Modding my j since I found the org
Friday, June 24, 2011 12:29 PM
I can tell you what your problem is, everything im seeing on these springs either says 1.5" f/r drop or 1.7"F/1.5"R.

Now if they are 1.5" F and R then your going to be keeping the stock rake(rear sitting higher) because it is dropping the front and rear evenly, if the second specs are real then its even worse because the rear will sit .2" higher in comparison to the front than stock. If you want the car to sit what appears level you need to buy springs like Eibach Sportlines(not a good match with AGX's, they are only rated for 1.5" drop) Sportlines are 1.7"F and 2.3"R so that the front and rear sit level. Honestly compared to most of our cars with stock springs it looks like your factory rear springs are sagging and lower than most, appears almost level to the front. This is not the usual, do you have stereo equipment in there? I know for my vert it takes ALL of my tools and a few other things to make the rear sit level to the front(dont do it on purpose haha).

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:30 PM
those teins do that. The front will settle a little more but not the rear. Jhand had that issue on her car. Get sportlines or ksports if you want to go lower

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:56 PM
Pro-kit will also bring the rear end lower. Like this...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, June 24, 2011 2:34 PM
like transporters pic, i like that level look. I dont like em tucked or dropped 'stupid low'...i know some do but to me its the clean look thats best. And I dont hit anything when i go over speed bumps, just barely..and id like to keep it that way! (the front doesnt hit anything surprisingly).

the car to me, sat very high stock. with the 14" steelies and stock ride height, it swayed a lot and was comfy, but not performance at all! that pic was with a small 10" or 12" sub (bazooka tube) in the back. no amp.
that wouldnt have made much of a difference, its prob 20lbs maybe?

who makes the "Pro-kit"? Il have to search. The Sport Lines sound like the ideal drop since it levels it out...

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:38 PM
Sportlines are quite a bit lower than the Pro-kit, reading your posts you probably wouldn't like it.

Both are made by Eibach.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, June 25, 2011 9:21 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:Pro-kit will also bring the rear end lower. Like this...

I have never seen the Pro-kit tuck tires like that, iirc you are running taller tires arent you? Also the majority or cars I have seen that use the pro-kit still retain some kind of rake. Yours looks pretty good tho.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:14 PM
Trust me, you have body roll. This is my car with Tein SSP's, stiffer springs and way stiffer dampers than you.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, August 05, 2011 6:58 PM
Kinda off topic but im very interested in the Kyb agx's..would you recommend them or should i just go with other brands?? im in need for new struts anyway so its a good excuse to lower it
Sunday, August 07, 2011 4:36 AM
agx's are good struts but won't handle all that large of a drop.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:12 PM
yea its only like a 1.5 drop...id like atleast 2 in the front and 2.5 in back
Monday, August 08, 2011 3:54 PM
Zs Z wrote:
Transporter7220 wrote:Pro-kit will also bring the rear end lower. Like this...

[IMG]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv31/Transporter7220/timgm3.jpg[IMG]

I have never seen the Pro-kit tuck tires like that, iirc you are running taller tires arent you? Also the majority or cars I have seen that use the pro-kit still retain some kind of rake. Yours looks pretty good tho.
Tim also has a very large box with a couple subs... And those are 18s

Here's my prokit/agx ( I have 17s)
the ride is great ride imho

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Monday, August 08, 2011 4:26 PM
I was just about to say, Tim looks lower than me and I'm on sportlines. But I got 17's.

Monday, August 08, 2011 5:01 PM
My car is pretty heavy as Cav's go, and like Brandon said I've got ~75lbs of audio equipment back there, plus a 10 lb battery, and those tires are slightly taller than stock.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:56 AM
Okay, so I'm trying to relive this issue....and someone in my local car club told me about trimming down the rear bump stops. I guess certain suspension companies recommend this after installing their equipment...It sounds fairly straight forward, and since I did put aftermarket springs/struts, on, maybe they WERE supposed to be trimmed...?

Anyone know if this will make a difference? i would never fully remove the bump stops because they are there for a reason, but trimming should be okay.
Ive heard about cutting them off at the 'head' of the 'snowman' which I think is about 1/3 the lenght of the current stock bump stops..will this really lower the rear down?

Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:09 PM
Unless you a riding on the bump stops then cutting them wont lower it. YOu only hit the bump stops when you max out suspension travel.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:07 PM
Eibach suggests trimming an inch off of the top of the bump stop when using the Pro-kit, or you'll be hitting them all day. Not sure about Tein.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:08 PM
I know if I load the rear with cat litter and deer corn and whatnot (heavy stuff), it does go down a little..so I guess its got travel, meaning its not maxed out.
But if they are after market springs trying to lower it, and it seems like its the stock ride height, maybe the bump stops are keeping the springs from actually letting the car drop some...

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:20 PM
The springs will take a few days to settle. Is the last picture in your first post of it with the springs installed? If so, thats all you're going to get out of those Teins, they don't lower the car much at all.

Bump stops only effect the car when you compress the suspension far enough to bottom the shocks out, IE hitting a big ass pot hole or rail road tracks. They don't effect the height of the car driving around or sitting in one spot. Trimming the bump stops just gives you slightly more suspension travel before they bottom out.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:40 PM
my springs are used, so they wont settle anymore than when first installed..
yes, the 3rd pic is with the springs on.

okay..its apparent the bump stops dont need to be messed with in my case.
so when you install certain brands of shocks, I know they have you shave the bump stops. Im guessing this is because the car lowers really close to the bump stop limit, so you free up more room so you dont bottom out.

I guess Ill just search for a good used set that will bring it down alittle more in the rear...i know though if I go much lower, Ill have to swap out at least the rear shocks too..seeing as Id fall below 2+ inches

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:34 AM
well the Sportlines are only $230 shipped on eBay...so thats worth it right? anyone know of a better price elsewhere?

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:58 PM
so the next question is...if i go ahead and buy a brand new set for $230...despite the lowering limits of the AGXs, will my ride be 'safe' with that combo? I was looking, the tokico (whatever) blue's, are like $400 or so new. I dont AutoX or drive my car rough...so if I'm easy on it, can i use the Sportlines and KYB/AGX's together? Im pretty confident the Sportlines are what I want for my desired height.

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:08 AM
ill get flammed for this... but i have s-techs and kyb agx and also loved the front and hated the rear, i cut one coil off the tops of the rear springs and it sits much better in the rear now. the coils in the rear are wound tightly and in no danger of falling off of the spring pearch with one coil cut, the ride was slitghtly stiffer, but not by much at all. shocks and springs have been on the car for 40,000+ miles and with cut springs on the rear for about 20,000-30,000 miles with no issues what so ever, handles great as ever. i figured i would try it out since i was going to replace the springs anyways... ended up that this worked great and i didnt need to. my car also has about 250-300 lbs weight reduction and was a base model to begin with so that puts less stress on everything, im not saying you should do it, because everyone else will tell you not to, but it worked great for me...
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:08 PM
yeah I know I've heard of that before, but I figure for the $200ish spent on new springs that would lower it properly, I'll stick with that.
My main concern is the .5" extra lower in the rear on my AGX's...but I cant imagine that being a 'huge' deal..as they should be okay as long as I dont constantly bottom out stressing the shocks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search