popping in r/f . HELP - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
popping in r/f . HELP
Friday, July 08, 2011 2:10 PM
So I'm running rk prostreets to start. I have a popping noise in the r/f I just can't figure out . I've replaced my upper mount which was shot and last weekend I replaced my lower ball joint. Still not fixed . It happens when I start and come to a stop. Any clue ?!

Re: popping in r/f . HELP
Friday, July 08, 2011 7:34 PM
Ifit soundslike its coming through the floor board its a bad axle.

Friday, July 08, 2011 8:16 PM
Could also be control arm bushings. Your lowered and i know they can make sounds when they go bad. Just a thought
Saturday, July 09, 2011 9:12 AM
I did find my crappy autozone axle is loose on tge inner joint, gonna try getting another one . Just seems like a different noise . I have the rk bushings in my lower arms. But they have been in for a while , so they could be bad

Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:19 PM
could also be sway bar endlink. i just got done replacing both mine up front not long ago and took all the popping noises i had away instantly.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:15 PM
ecotecpower wrote:So I'm running rk prostreets to start. I have a popping noise in the r/f I just can't figure out . I've replaced my upper mount which was shot and last weekend I replaced my lower ball joint. Still not fixed . It happens when I start and come to a stop. Any clue ?!

I have the prostreets also havent had much use out of them yet but mine are set low but not all the way down or anything, what did find is a good ride height for them? and what did you think of them overall???
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:33 PM
Are the top bearings lubed enough?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:06 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Are the top bearings lubed enough?

Top bearing? were is this because I know the J-body suspension pretty good by now. are you talking about the bearing ring that sits between the strut mount and the coil spring itself?
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:59 PM
jdm cav9 wrote:
bradsk88 wrote:Are the top bearings lubed enough?

Top bearing? were is this because I know the J-body suspension pretty good by now. are you talking about the bearing ring that sits between the strut mount and the coil spring itself?

Yep. The big white circular bearing.

One end of out (and any) springs must always be free to rotate or you will get popping noises under compression/expansion.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:59 PM
our*

Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:17 PM
ecotecpower wrote:So I'm running rk prostreets to start. I have a popping noise in the r/f I just can't figure out . I've replaced my upper mount which was shot and last weekend I replaced my lower ball joint. Still not fixed . It happens when I start and come to a stop. Any clue ?!

So were do you have your height adjustment set at on these prostreets and did you have to use this adj. camber bolt pair. that I got from rksport to do your alighnment??? I have these on my cav and only drove the car a couple times and havent done my alighnment yet. but I hve already installed the camber bolts. my suspension is set low right now only like a .25 in. they are all the way turned down.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:29 PM
I have the same pop right now under same conditions start and stop. I'm not lowered. I put new control arms with new bushings it still pops. I put new ball joints on it still pops. I put new struts on it still pops. New end links still pops, and outer tie rods it still pops. All had to be changed I have about 180,000 hard miles on it, and they were all bad. I am going to change my sway bar bushing and CV axles next. I hope it's one of the two and not the rack. the car drives better with the new parts and alignment, but the steering wheel is a little crooked.
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:27 AM
probably the cv shaft mine use to do that after the boot ripped a little and all the grease came flying out.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:57 PM
Just changed the CV axles and I still have the pop. Anyone know what it might be? Sway bar bushings? Rack bad? mostly from the right side
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:10 PM
make sure your endlinks are tight in the front sway bar and maybe check the other bushings in the middle of the front sway. the last thing it would be it sounds like is your rack
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:04 PM
Just checked the end links. Little loose tightened them down. Backing out of the driveway I heard the "pop" checked I have a busted upper motor mount!! Lets hope this fixes it
Friday, September 02, 2011 5:41 PM
Well finally got it figured out. The furthest to the passengerside subframe bolt was loose. Got half a turn out of it. Wow its nice to have that noise gone!

Friday, September 02, 2011 8:30 PM
i have this pop to, but im lowered on gc's with koni yellows and idk it sounds like its the right axle, gonna change it this weekend hope it fixes it....

2010 Lonestar Bash 2nd place J-Body Street Class
Saturday, September 03, 2011 2:07 AM
Trey Reed wrote:i have this pop to, but im lowered on gc's with koni yellows and idk it sounds like its the right axle, gonna change it this weekend hope it fixes it....

start with strut mounts. then go to control arm bushings. then all the other bushings and frame.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:25 AM
If you hear those pops, it may to do with stabilizer mounts. There is also a TSB for it too. The way GM designed ours is horrid. It is held up by one effing bolt and the other side is held by a slot---freely. What is more, the hole on the bracket is wider than the bolt, so it is prone to move around in the slot.
I'm still trying to figure out what to use to lock it in place there, metal lock washers held up for 100 miles and pop right back where I started.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:56 PM
My 2003 cavalier was making popping noises from the front end when I would go over bumps and step on the break. Would especially make it while driving on uneven ground. I replaced almost every part of the front suspension in an attempt to make the noise go away and the noise was still there. I finally realized it was coming from the front sway bar brackets! What a @!#$ty design. Everything I do to try and fix it, only works for a few days. If anybody knows how to fix it, please share. I'm going to keep trying things until the noise goes away..

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:26 PM
check you lower engine mount aswell if its loose when load is applied or taken away it will shift had that once

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search