Air ride mods - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air ride mods
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:34 AM
I'm looking at air ride for my 01 cavi and would like to know who gets the best ride quality and stance with their air ride and what company they use. I'm running a set of 17's so that will make a diff if you run 20's thanks for any info.

Re: Air ride mods
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:42 AM
The stance was the only thing I liked about my easystreet airride. My Teins trump it in every other way.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:02 AM
Air is not for quality. Although i did daily mine for 5 years.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:07 PM
what set up/company did you run for those five years? Did you have to re rout your gas filler neck?
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:14 PM
easystreet/airlift should be your only choice. I cant complain about my ride. not bad. Suck on rough road like everyone elses suspension tho. Most people that bitch had the old generation front struts. The new version are 100x better.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Did any of you have to move the gas filler neck? does the rear wheel touch it when laid out?
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:49 PM
I didnt have a problem with the gas filler.

Spencer wrote:Most people that bitch had the old generation front struts. The new version are 100x better.

Funny that you mention that. The rear sleeved struts were the ones i hated and i wished i had the convoluted bags in the rear.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:50 PM
i agree i hate the rears too. I was just talkin about the fronts. Th sleeve do better in the front than the bellows did and the mount is like a kick ass stock mount now.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:36 PM
Do you have any pics of the new and old set up?
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:37 PM
these are the new sleeve style, altho this was after i modified them.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:39 PM
and these are the old ones, also modified and with the OEM mount attached.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:43 PM
thanks yeah the new ones look much better!
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:45 PM
what modifies did you do to them?
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:25 PM
he raised the lower mount up about 3 inches to make it go lower

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:43 PM
it was about 2", just flushed the knuckle brackets up with the bottom of the strut housings.

Here the thread with my process.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=148517&t=148517#148517

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:31 PM
thanks for all the info and pics and the link really did help out .
Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:12 PM
Yeah the reason i finally took my air off is because my old rears busted and i got the new ones. Nothing but trouble from them.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:41 PM
i had a rear strut lock up on me. Wouldnt come back up. Luckily i had an extra. Thats why im going bag one axle this fall, with slam specialties RE6's, and Nissan hardbody shocks.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:58 PM
spencer have you tought of doing the irs in the rear?

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:40 PM
yes i have several times, but id still be stuck with a strut setup.

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:43 PM
Spencer wrote:yes i have several times, but id still be stuck with a strut setup.

Well maybe. You could mount the bag on the lower control arms and between the subframe. Then use the shocks factory struts minus springs to control the knuckles. Just a though of how I was going to do it till I figure out how to mount the j struts to the knuckle.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 9:35 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:
Spencer wrote:yes i have several times, but id still be stuck with a strut setup.

Well maybe. You could mount the bag on the lower control arms and between the subframe. Then use the shocks factory struts minus springs to control the knuckles. Just a though of how I was going to do it till I figure out how to mount the j struts to the knuckle.

do you have any pics of your setup? i was also thinking and working on a way to do a bag over axle setup on the rear.
Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:57 PM
yeahidriveacavalier wrote:
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:

do you have any pics of your setup? i was also thinking and working on a way to do a bag over axle setup on the rear.

kinda if you check my progress thread in photos and media you can see what i am doing. so far mine is still a work in progress and in mock up stages. i don't get a lot of time to work on it. so it does not move very fast along with the ton of things i still need to do. i still have things to add to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 08, 2011 9:20 AM

Monday, August 08, 2011 9:44 AM
now thats an idea, great job!

Monday, August 08, 2011 11:24 AM
Spencer wrote:now thats an idea, great job!

Thanks. I was hoping they mounted higher so I could sit the car lower on the ground but the mounting points are 1 1/4" higher. So we will see what this will result in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search