Air ride mods - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Air ride mods
Monday, August 08, 2011 1:51 PM
WOW I LIKE THAT IDEA!! what rear end is that from? do the air struts come apart for welding ? when i built my coilovers i had to cut my struts and drain them to weld up my brackets and i used strut inserts .

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:39 PM
I will be following with what spencer did and welding them filled. I will make sure to quench them while doing so or might have a guy I know do them. Have not decided yet.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:51 PM
yeah i seen how he did it and its smart just take your time and keep it cool, i guess thats how i'll do mine. I really like your setup how are you gonna mount the new rear end?
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 6:24 PM
you should nt have to fill in the bottoms of the mounts, they arent even welded all the way around from the factory.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:17 PM
cool man i cant wait to start on my little project what kind of lift do they give? do you have problems with the rearbeam hitting the exhaust when laid out?
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:55 PM
The reason I plated the bottom was I drilled a hole and used the hiem joint as reinforcement for the lower part of the strut. If you notice the lower part of the air strut is a tapered. So you have less than 1/4 of the mount actually attached to the strut. To me this is not acceptable because I plan on hitting back country roads and possible autox. I still am planning on finding a tube or something that will correct the diameter so it is not tapered. To me that will give more stiffness through the mount and strut. You have to remember that this pressure point now has side to side pressure instead of just up and down pressure. Also to me the bottom plate adds some stiffness to the mount also. This is why I said my setup is still in the works. I was kind of hesitate to post it up because it is not done and tested.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:03 AM
i like the idea and the fact you are making it so you wont break or have troubles later. i cant wait to see the new rear on this car.
Monday, August 15, 2011 10:39 PM
couple more progress pics. more in my thread.

that is with out the bag on the strut and the strut bottomed out. looks like i will be happy. atleast for a while. lol

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:26 AM
looks great, ive been revisiting the IRS/air ride idea since this thread.....

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:32 AM
airbagit.com has kits for everything. they even list it for the grandam/alero. i'm thinking later down the road i might get a hold of them later on and see what they can do on working me up another set of struts that can get me lower. but for right now these will work.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:53 PM
sweet update man. thanks to spenser i will be working on a mock up for mine this week. looking at a an alero rear end seen one at the u pull it today maybe

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:48 PM
cool deal. i'm sure yours will move a lot faster than mine. lol like i said above if your not comfortable with the modding of the struts you should be able to get them from airbagit.com. the list the kit ready to ship so you would figure the struts should be available to. they also have a bunch of info on there site that is helping me with trying to figure out what i want to do to mine.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:33 PM
right on man i hope those old parts will end up making something awesome!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:20 PM
sweet u two are much help and i love the build thread you have going on. and thanks !
Friday, August 19, 2011 9:04 PM
demand moar progress pics.

Friday, August 19, 2011 10:21 PM
i should have more tomorrow(saturday), went over today to mess with it for a couple hrs. ended up cleaning up and finding the old axle was taken/stolen. sat it out back up against the garage and some scraper decided he wanted it. the two parts that piss me off is that it still had the 1/2" spacers that i got of jeffie and it was not by the alley to be taken, but about 60' away from the alley. ive had parts/scrap sit out there over the last 10 yrs with no problems but within 3 days it walked off. but anyways i guess i learned that people are becoming more pathetic lately and i will no longer trusting anything outside. sorry for the rant. i hoping to have it mounted tomorrow and on the ground, literally. lol if everything works properly it will be torn back down for some rust repair and some paint.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:17 AM
Well thats a bummer man sucks that u lost it. Keep up with the progress man. Yesterday i mocked up my front and came up with an idea it will set me three inches lower than my coilovers that are dumped now lol thanks spenser, the parts helped out a lot!
Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:48 AM
I am definitely watching this and MRThompson's build thread... I am sick of my rears being sucked into the front of the wheel well, and dont want to extend the rear arm just to change to irs a year later...

Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:12 AM
YES i cant let this thread die lol. its been a lot of help the only problem is my "little bag" is looking like it may become something more lol, i just picked up my irs this firday but wont make a move till i see it on thompson's lol.
Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:58 PM
Oh. Put the pressure on me. Lol. I can handle it. Only progress I made was getting the other lower mount welded up and ready to go on the air strut. I didn't realize how big of a mess my garage was. Good part is I can actually get around in there now and wont have to be done for another 3 months. Lol

This mount I am a more confident in and came out better. So when I pull it back apart I am going to reweld the other mount.

Hopefully more and progress soon.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:15 PM
nice man keep it up im working with fiber glassing my cracked dash would much rather be welding lol

Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:13 PM
yeah i am trying my best to stay away from fiber glass. it just not very forgiving at all. thats why most of my car will be factory short of the suspension and engine,.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:23 AM
i hear yeah if i didnt have the cracked dash i wouldnt mess with the glass lol im lovin your ride man keep it up!
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:38 PM
so i was woundering how your strut mounts are for the air struts, did you make some or use the stock or what. ive been working on a set of mounts that would add an extra two inches of drop. so what are you guys running as far as mounts?
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:24 PM
on the rears the stock easystreets mounts are fine, or get a set of OEM's solid set. Moving the strut mount for more low is goin to involve rewelding strut towers.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search