"Engine Cradle" Best place to buy? tips tricks? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
"Engine Cradle" Best place to buy? tips tricks?
Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:02 AM
I HAVE A 1997 CAVALIER Z24!

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=145246&t=145246

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=145246&t=145246

^^^those are reference threads.

does anyone know where the best place to buy a new one is? the gm dealer quoted me 431$ i found one on ebay for about 200$ shipped, im going to hit up the junk yards and try to find one in good shape. but i doubt i will find one much better than mine seeing as i live in mn and mines rusted out and broken where the suspension mounts or close to it...

Also what parts of the suspension should i replace while doing this swap? or any parts at all for that matter.

Thanks for your help

click sig for my car audio videos

Re: "Engine Cradle" Best place to buy? tips tricks?
Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:42 AM
is this part that im thinking of called the k frame? just trying my hardest to find a nice one. a junk yard said thats what its called. and im not sure...

Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=150640205380

will that one work on my 97 z24? need to know, i need to buy it soon so its there for next weekend to fix the car. if anyone knows please respond.

thanks again!

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:10 PM
I actually just picked one up, car-part.com lists them as engine cradles, I found one locally ready to pick up for $150, well worth the cost of not having to spend 3 hours pulling one in a yard, haha.

The ebay link doesn't work for me, but as long as you don't have an OHV any cradle with bolt right up. I'm running an 03 cradle with the extra brace in my 98 Z.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:41 PM
this one work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=150640205380&viewitem=&category=42609

i think thats what im looking for.....

Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:20 AM
$150 seems high

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:25 AM
engine cradle, k-frame, sub frame... all work. lol

Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:22 PM
well i bought that one off ebay. any suggested replacement parts? as in the suspension? or anything like that while im in there...

Monday, August 15, 2011 9:27 AM
now would be the time to replace/upgrade sway bars and all the bushings.

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:56 AM
ok, which ones should i get?

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:34 AM
@!#$, I picked one up from a pick and pull for $50 and got it sandblasted and powdercoated for another $100. It's mint now.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Monday, August 15, 2011 12:29 PM
either addco or eibach make nice sway bars. and prothane sells a control arm bushing kit.

id definitely get it powdercoated if i were you...

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:42 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:either addco or eibach make nice sway bars. and prothane sells a control arm bushing kit.

id definitely get it powdercoated if i were you...

im going to get it sand blasted at my work and pour on some of this undercoating i got. its a sound proofing undercoating and it WONT come off trust me lol

approx how much do those things cost?

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:04 PM
why not buy a front clip from a ecotec and swap it all over?

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Monday, August 15, 2011 7:16 PM
need a k frame not a half a car lol

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:46 PM
ca bushings run like 40 shipped... sways are like 120-150 shipped.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:38 PM
can i just get these things from like an orieleys or somthing? or would it be crazy expensive?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:56 PM
poly bushings from one of the vendors, the sway bar hardware can be bought at teh parts store, the Moogs are poly/hard plastic.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:03 PM
ok, do i need to replace those parts? and i will need to get them from a local shop no matter what now....

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:42 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:ok, do i need to replace those parts? and i will need to get them from a local shop no matter what now....

somebody get this guy a bib.

dude you're replacing a major car component, might as well freshen everything up while its apart. Get prothane control arm bushings, they're hard to install but TOTALLY worth it.

replace the balljoints, replace the tierod ends, upgrade the sway bar (I prefer addco personally). If you want, clean up the subframe and paint/repaint or if you wanna overkill have it powdercoated. Thats the biggest component in the front end other than the engine/trans and it holds amost all of the suspension in place for the most part so taking care of it is a very good idea.

if you're dropped, the sway bar will help a TON with handling. I have R3 coilovers on my daily and from stock FE0 sway bar on coilovers to addco sway bar on coilovers was a huge improvement in handling.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:53 PM
Spencer wrote:need a k frame not a half a car lol

yea and they go for about the same price as a half car lol

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater

Friday, August 19, 2011 10:11 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:ok, do i need to replace those parts? and i will need to get them from a local shop no matter what now....

somebody get this guy a bib.

dude you're replacing a major car component, might as well freshen everything up while its apart. Get prothane control arm bushings, they're hard to install but TOTALLY worth it.

replace the balljoints, replace the tierod ends, upgrade the sway bar (I prefer addco personally). If you want, clean up the subframe and paint/repaint or if you wanna overkill have it powdercoated. Thats the biggest component in the front end other than the engine/trans and it holds amost all of the suspension in place for the most part so taking care of it is a very good idea.

if you're dropped, the sway bar will help a TON with handling. I have R3 coilovers on my daily and from stock FE0 sway bar on coilovers to addco sway bar on coilovers was a huge improvement in handling.

well right now i dont have the money nor the time to get these things here and on the car, thus why im asking. what can i buy from a parts store that i can put on this thing that is the MOST impoprtant. i wish i could drop another 500$ in parts to get it all perfect again, but i cant... im not worried about handeling and im not worried about best performance, i worried about my car still being able to drive down the road haha. so again, i have very little money, what is the most important part that i could get that would be the best and most easy part to replace while this is off the car?

Friday, August 19, 2011 10:15 AM
also i should probly say that my car does make a "rattle" noise when i hit bumps while slowing down, would the sway bar hardware be the best cjhoice to replace? thats what ive been told it was. but it only happens when slowing down and hitting a bump...

thanks again for everyones help

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:52 PM
if you have no money, just replace the subframe and the end link hardware.

but clunking could be balljoints or strut mounts or anything really.. thats why I like covering all my bases.

honestly you could leave the sway bar alone for now, leave the end links alone for now. swap out the subframe, then replace the other parts later.

to upgrade the sway bar (not the end links, the bar itself) you MUST drop the subframe tho so keep that in mind when and if you ever want to do that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search