Stock drums fitting size - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock drums fitting size
Friday, August 26, 2011 1:00 PM
A long time ago I was part of the GP for Joshua Dearman's rear brake conversion - I received the parts but never got around to installing them and then my Sunfire died and was laid to rest.
Since then I bought a newer car and then purchased another sunfire as the winter beater.

Today I got a tiny pinhole in the rear brake line between the twist beam and the wheel cylinder. I think perfect! I have the parts for this, Dearman's GP came with steel braided lines. The thing is, I do not want to do the conversion as it is only a beater and not worth it. Dearman's GP came with a -3 to M10X 1.50 and adapter to connect it into the Neon rotor. What would I need to connect it into the stock wheel cylinder? -3 to ....?

I have a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE - 5 sp.

Thanks guys!

Re: Stock drums fitting size
Friday, August 26, 2011 1:15 PM
The GP also came with -3 AN to 7/16-20 fittings that I just found.

Monday, August 29, 2011 2:27 PM
The braided line said not for road use on it - so I decided to look up why and my research led to the fact that the manner in which they are made makes them an item that needs to be changed relatively often, not a set it and forget it style. I figured considering the car is a winter beater, it would be best not to use the braided line.

I went ahead and took it apart - PB Blaster was a god send for the rusted bolts. I ended up buying a standard 20 inch straight brake line that is pre flared and has fittings on it from CanadianTire. The fittings fit right into the wheel cylinder and other connection on the twist beam and I bent the line using a line bending tool. Worked perfect!

I had never done any brake work before in my life (apart from changing pads and adjusting hand brake cables) and this was a lot simpler and easier than I imagined. Bleeding the brakes by yourself is a little bit of a pain - I used a 2x4 wedged between the brake pedal and seat to hold the brake down while I was under the car.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:56 PM
There are plenty of use using the brake lines that say that.

Its there so the manufacturer can cover their ass if anything happens.

Its the same thing as most aftermarket parts, 90% of the time they are designated for off road use only. How often is that actually followed?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search