Blown Power Steering Line - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blown Power Steering Line
Monday, August 29, 2011 6:59 PM
Well I blew a power steering line. It's a 2003 Cavalier w/ Ecotec and F23 Getrag. I can't get under the car at all right now to check but it looks to be the hose with the black braided fiber hose around it, going to the rack. Which hose/line is this? Easy to replace? I'm stuck here at the apartment and can't repair the car here without getting in trouble with the management.
Is it possible to drive the car with the line broken and no fluid, or will this kill the pump off? If i can strong arm it home...(180 Miles), I could fix it in a matte of minutes.

Re: Blown Power Steering Line
Monday, August 29, 2011 7:32 PM
Probably the PS return line I'm gonna guess? Simple to replace aren't they? I'm thinking of doing this very early one morning so the apartment doesn't catch me fixing it and I won't have to pay for a tow and a shop to screw with my car.

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:53 PM
not too bad to replace since you have a manual shift, if you have to limp it home, take it off and wire it up safely to something, if you run it dry you'll burn it up, remember its turning with the cam whether your steering or not. how fast is the leak, if its not too bad I'd just stop every so often and top it off so it stays lubed. once your up to speed its not to bad to steer it, its parking lots where you'll really miss it. been there man, good luck, let us know how it works out

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:51 PM
and take pics! am i the only damn person on here that takes pics of everything i do, be it on a crappy iPhone

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:08 AM
Is it even possible to take off the pump being it is cam driven? Won't oil leak out from that area then?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:04 AM
Slocav you are absolutely right, so you can take it off, but its not wise to do so. man I miss coffee!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:16 AM
Poo...

I'm thinking it won't leak oil because there isn't a seal on the pump that seals up to the cam...
But again I'm thinking it will because it's leaving a cam end open.

I guess I can just try it. I have a friend that lives down here and I can go fix it at his house that is about 3 miles away, and pray I get it there.
I have also heard that the lines supplied by autozone/advance auto parts are the wrong ones and only GM have the ones with the proper fittings...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:20 AM
I just replaced my hoses with SS with AN fittings and it was a PIA, but thats because I have an auto. I had to drop the subframe and rack. You have a manual, so you should have plenty of room to change em out.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:48 AM
I'd rather replace it with SS line and AN fittings if I can get the car home. Just not sure if I can run the car with the PS pump hanging up by wire, don't know if I will leak oil or have any other problems....

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:26 AM
It WILL leak oil if you remove the pump!!!! The pump has a rubber pad that seals up against the end of the cylinder head to keep from leaking oil.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:07 PM
Great. Anyone know if the line from advance/autozone works with the Ecotec rack then? I don't want to get the car torn apart and not have the right line...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:51 PM
Can you get the specs from GM parts or somewhere else reliable and double check at the parts store to make sure its gonna be the right one for you?
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:08 AM
Every parts store site and anywhere I check shows a line with one male end and one female end on it. I need one that has both male ends on it, and from what I have heard only GM supplies that. I might have to suck it up and let the stealership fix the car, this sucks

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:39 PM
I was thinking maybe you did a engine swap till I read your profile, but heres what I came up with before I checked, the profile.this is one that came on a 2002 2200

and this is the one I found for the 2002 and up Ecotecs

I'll look on AllData and see if I can dig anything else up

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:47 PM
ok found this real quick, and should help the troubles a bit. you should have a pipe that comes from the pump to the actual hose, the pipe has two male ends on it. which means you should be able use the hose with the male/female ends on it just fine. heres a pic, numbers 3 and 4 point to it.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:37 PM
I ended up having the car flat bedded to a local shop, letting them dick with it now. Hoping its done by tomorrow being it is such a mindless job...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search