stiffer spring - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stiffer spring
Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:06 AM
Does anybody know of a stiffer stock size spring for a 3 gen cav? Maybe even a slightly longer spring that will fit the strut to stiffen up ride? Running a dirt track and dont want lower, just stiffer. Car is crazy loose in turns and over ruts in track. Thanx in advance

Re: stiffer spring
Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:20 AM
Im not sure about stiffer springs but I discovered that higher end struts,specifically KYB AGX's on my car, really stiffen up the ride of stock springs. I had the rears set to full and it honestly felt like I had no suspension travel.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:43 AM
Are you allowed to run a spacer above or below the springs?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:47 AM
Agx would be awesome but they are against the rules. Thought about those or even yellows like i have on my dd. Cant do it though.

Maybe spacers would be ok. We are looking into stiffeners. Couple guys at track run them in between the coils. Im just lookin for something a bit more stock looking. They have them zip tied to the springs along with spring spacer. Its funny to see a neon with a 6 inch wheel gap. Ill look into it though. Thanx

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:07 PM
can you run spring rubbers? they sell them at autozone and nascar uses them so they must be legit.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:19 PM
I think the spring rubbers you are mentioning are the same as what I am calling stiffeners. Just like rubber inserts for between the coils of the spring?

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:21 PM
Yeah they're just blocks or hard rubber with pull tabs on them.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:27 PM
You could use n body struts.they would be slightly longer and stiffer

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:28 PM
How about a lowering spring with a coil spacer. That would give you stock travel and stiffer spring. Other option is to see if the corsica or beretta has a stiffer spring since they should.be the same chassis.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:21 PM
Lowering spring with spacer sounds outside the box. Might look into that. Do the corsica/baretta frOnts mount up the same? I know the rears don't.

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:00 PM
if you do lowering springs, i have goldlines and they are pretty damn stiff

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:54 AM
i have KYB AGX's on my Tein S springs, its pretty damn stiff. I cant imagine it wouldnt stiffen up quite a bit with these shocks on stock springs. Cheap and effective route i bet..

btw you got any pics of you runnin on the track? sounds fun! FWD dirt track racing, talk about understeer! haha

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search