Tein Basics + OEM Mounts = Confusion - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Tein Basics + OEM Mounts = Confusion
Monday, January 11, 2010 5:15 AM
i assembled mine differently. i used the bottom half of the stock mounts, and made a spacer out of aluminum. works fine.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:42 PM
I received the top hats today Mark. They went to my parent's house so I didn't get to look at them yet.

I will try my best to put them on next week, if not, the latest will be the beginning of February.

I'll take install pics to post.

Thanks again man.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:36 PM
Haha. X2 for everything you said. They went to my parents house. I will get them saturday and play with them a bit. I may not put them on this winter though.

Thanks mark.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:18 PM
Ok. It seems I'm still having issues with this setup. I got my tophats back home and this is what I came up with:

These are all the pieces required for one side:

First the spring seat that came with the Tein Basics:

Next is the top hat made by Mark:

Then is the mount itself:

Last is the nut that came with the Basics but it doesn't screw on all the way:

This is just another picture of the whole set up:

Notice how the aluminum piece is unused here. I still have yet to figure out where it goes.

Mark did mention that I wasn't supposed to use the gold spring seat in the first picture but this is how it would end up:

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pictures.

If anyone could shed some light on my dilemna here that would be great. Hopefully Mark will chime in here soon to help me out which I'm sure he will.
Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:42 PM
Raise your lower spring perch.

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:10 PM
the last pic is right , then install the adapter. i made the top hat so that it should fit over the shaft.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:15 PM
that aluminum piece goes between the hat and top plate. might need to modify the adapter. the top little big needs to be ground off if it does not slip over the threads.

Mark

Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:11 PM
I think I figured it out Mark.

Top hat first, then the aluminum adapter, then the camber plate, correct?

If that is the right order, I'll have to do some adjusting to the top hat and the aluminum adapter. Do you know anywhere I can have this done as I don't have the tools to do it nor do I know a machinist. Also, the top half of the aluminum adapter is already pretty thin. If it were to be adjusted to fit, there won't be much left of the top half. Any insight on this?
Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:33 PM
I made the top hat tight, should be a .8600 hole. Whats the Tein? .86500? You should be able to just sand that out if its tight. For the adapter, just use a hack saw and a file to take that little nib on the top off. All in all should take you 30 min or less to get put together.

mark

Monday, January 18, 2010 8:22 AM
Well, I was able to get the top hats filed down where they will fit over the shaft.

However, is the top hat and strut mount supposed to fit flush against each other? If so, the spherical bearing inside the plate will be unused. And the only way they sit flush is when I adjust the spring as far up as it can go to make the top hat fit snug against the mount. That takes away from the height adjustment, does it not?

The aluminum pieces aren't of the right dimensions I think. They seem to be made for struts with a smaller shaft.
My one question, I guess, is do I need the spacer/adapter between the top hat and strut mount? If so, I'll just have another one made.
Monday, January 18, 2010 1:43 PM
You need to just chop off the top on the aluminum adapter. You HAVE to use the aluminum adapter, thats what rides on the bearings. You must have a new set of Tein's cause I have seen them before with a smaller shaft. If you need me to post a pic I can.

Mark

Monday, January 18, 2010 11:29 PM
The aluminum adapter is still too small even if I were to chop off the top of it. The diameter of the inner hole is too small to fit over the shaft. I think, as you stated above, that it was created for different Teins maybe. Nonetheless, I'll just have new spacers machined because these won't fit.

I'll try and take some pictures of the adapter and the shaft to show you Mark.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:14 AM
Humm, I thought those adapters were counterbored with a 9/16 hole. I could be wrong though. if you have a 9/16 drill you can just drill the hole out in the middle, should take 2 min.

Mark

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:15 PM
Hey Mark, I'm going to give you a call tomorrow.
Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:40 PM
Back from the dead, this ever get finished?

Just got oem front camber plates for my basics and having a little trouble setting them up. Ive seen Marks install instructions and it shows to reuse the factory mount with solid bushing under the camber plate, but this is non coilover install. Its the only way I can figure to set it up without having a gap between coil and top.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search