Rear Toe - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Toe
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:11 AM
Just had my 2004 Cavalier aligned. They told me I need a rear camber kit. Upon looking at the sheet they gave me the rear camber is fine, its the rear toe that is out. The driver side rear is +.33. The passenger rear is -.15. It also shows total toe at .18. How can these be adjusted? Or does it need to be adjusted as long as total toe is good? Thanks.

Re: Rear Toe
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:10 PM
Lawrence Tennison wrote:Just had my 2004 Cavalier aligned. They told me I need a rear camber kit. Upon looking at the sheet they gave me the rear camber is fine, its the rear toe that is out. The driver side rear is +.33. The passenger rear is -.15. It also shows total toe at .18. How can these be adjusted? Or does it need to be adjusted as long as total toe is good? Thanks.

X2

I have a similar thing going on L +.18 R -.19

I am thinking that the front sub-frame is out or wack. I don't think that shimming it is the right answer either.

-I drive my car to work-
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:58 PM
I know camber can be adjusted with shims that the install between the wheel hub and mount. I am sure the same principle applies to adjust the toe.

I would check the rear swing arm bushings as if they are worn out they can cause the rear end to get into a angle and cause some toe issues.

With the OP's toe numbers being so jacked up I would lean more to a bent swing arm than anything. I am sure that things is a bear to drive down the road and dog tracks like crazy.
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:38 AM
Camber shims will also adjust toe, it all depends on how you install them on the hub.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:10 PM
Gotcha on how shims work. I am wondering if I can take out my rear toe (L +.18 R -.19), by moving the sub-frame around. Has anyone tried this? Or am I just being dense?

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:11 PM
Mines worse than that and still in the factory specs. Eventually I'll get it shimmed to 1* out on both sides.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:58 PM
Hi All. It actually drives good. Better now that got the front end aligned. I was surprised when they said it was out of whack in the back. I'll get under there and take a look and see if anything looks odd. It's getting ready for a brake job anyway.
Monday, September 26, 2011 6:13 PM
Get in on the Jeffies rear trailing arm bushings. They may be worn out letting the rear end slop around a little.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search